ADVERTISEMENT

It's 100% on KF.

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
BF and KF need to both go.

It's shocking how inept his son is. Stop whacking Petras. His lack of development is 100% on BF and KF by extension. The whole offense is terrible. Really, stop beating on Petras. Save it for the millionaire coaches and admins who enable them.

Bailed out by Phil Parker. Never seen anything like it.

KF put his son in a job he was not qualified for and is to blame for all of this. KF has been a great coach for us, but this is terrible. It reminds me a lot of Jay Paterno.

I'm gonna be on a bike ride next week.

Peace to you all.

Since 2015 Iowa is 9th in total wins amongst P5 teams. Careful what you wish for. You get rid of KF Phil Parker is most likely gone as well.
That’s the key, keeping PP as the DC. I truly wish they could find a job for BF outside of OC. There’s just no way to undo it. A demotion by your dad is career suicide and there’s not an FBS program in the country that would take him as an HC especially with a pending lawsuit.

And frankly, I’m not sure a new OC matters. The offense hasn’t been great since 2002.

Btw, “complimentary football” phrase that the media has fallen in love is code for, “we know the offense sucks but we can’t tell the KF that.”

That’s the key, keeping PP as the DC. I truly wish they could find a job for BF outside of OC. There’s just no way to undo it. A demotion by your dad is career suicide and there’s not an FBS program in the country that would take him as an HC especially with a pending lawsuit.

And frankly, I’m not sure a new OC matters. The offense hasn’t been great since 2002.

Btw, “complimentary football” phrase that the media has fallen in love is code for, “we know the offense sucks but we can’t tell the KF that.”
i would manscape if it would time warp the Drew Tate or Ricki Stanzi or Beathard led Offenses to this Years Team

He is making 900k a year. Hang it up or go back to work for Bellichek until he gets another shot somewhere else. Now, this has nothing to do with the dumbass commentors calling for Kirk to be fired.

I know I’m strangely in the minority here now, but I still love having Kirk coach at Iowa.

Y’all bitching about the offense for how many years now? I get it, really. However, the best Kirk Ferentz Iowa teams have always had great defense and special teams. God damn if this years Iowa team doesn’t look amazing on both of those fronts.

The offense always looks rough early in the season. If you guys want an Iowa offensive juggernaut, you are taking away 2 of the strengths at Iowa, defense and special teams. It’s extremely rare to have all 3, and Iowa’s weak spot recruiting has always seemed to be the key offensive spots.

I get the frustration with Petras. That pick and some of those throws were bad and not like a senior qb. However the running game also didn’t show many signs of life either.

I would just think by now, most of us would just learn to enjoy the victories no matter how ugly they are. Because the only think Kirk cares about is winning and Iowa is undefeated.

I know I’m strangely in the minority here now, but I still love having Kirk coach at Iowa.

Y’all bitching about the offense for how many years now? I get it, really. However, the best Kirk Ferentz Iowa teams have always had great defense and special teams. God damn if this years Iowa team doesn’t look amazing on both of those fronts.

The offense always looks rough early in the season. If you guys want an Iowa offensive juggernaut, you are taking away 2 of the strengths at Iowa, defense and special teams. It’s extremely rare to have all 3, and Iowa’s weak spot recruiting has always seemed to be the key offensive spots.

I get the frustration with Petras. That pick and some of those throws were bad and not like a senior qb. However the running game also didn’t show many signs of life either.

I would just think by now, most of us would just learn to enjoy the victories no matter how ugly they are. Because the only think Kirk cares about is winning and Iowa is undefeated.
I think fans are looking for competence from the offense, not 2005 USC. The frustration is we realize we legit have elite/championship level defenses and special teams and the ceiling is completely stifled by offensive impotency. Even a top 75 offense would suffice for most of us.

I think fans are looking for competence from the offense, not 2005 USC. The frustration is we realize we legit have elite/championship level defenses and special teams and the ceiling is completely stifled by offensive impotency. Even a top 75 offense would suffice for most of us.
And you would get that with a strong Iowa running game. But I am not sure we have that this year. And everyone is blaming the qb like usual.

And you would get that with a strong Iowa running game. But I am not sure we have that this year. And everyone is blaming the qb like usual.
There is always an excuse for why the offense sucks hind tit, meanwhile the defense and SP just reload. The idea PP would leave if KF left is a scare tactic. Keep LV and PP and let them hand pick the offense that would compliment them the best. 3 and out 75% of the time is not complimentary football. Hell, we would see a massive jump in numbers on offense if the other coaches of the b10 had to prepare for ANYTHING other than the same vanilla offense they have 24 years of tape from.

Even with a solid oline and rb it's hard to have a strong run game when the defense can stack the box because you don't have deep threats at WR and the QB has accuracy issues and is easily rattled when pocket breaks down and isn't athletic enough to evade tackles or burn you with his feet

The formula VS a Kirk offense is very simple... Go all out to stop the run and make them beat you through the air. Usually quite effective. Especially lately

I hope the players know the boos are mostly directed at Kirk and Brian. They deserve it (mostly Kirk). The players don't
Actually they have now set themselves up for criticism by being paid. This NIL stuff will be interesting once players for teams don't living up to their 4 and 5 star rating, which we ALL know happens every year

Absolutely this. Heck, fans are DREAMING of just a top 100 offense at this point.

The offense and QB play Saturday looked like they had done absolutely NOTHING all off-season.

Since 2015 Iowa is 9th in total wins amongst P5 teams. Careful what you wish for. You get rid of KF Phil Parker is most likely gone as well.
I wonder what we’d be if we had an offense in let’s say the 60s for rank

It's shocking how inept his son is. Stop whacking Petras. His lack of development is 100% on BF and KF by extension. The whole offense is terrible. Really, stop beating on Petras. Save it for the millionaire coaches and admins who enable them.

KF put his son in a job he was not qualified for and is to blame for all of this. KF has been a great coach for us, but this is terrible. It reminds me a lot of Jay Paterno.

Peace to you all.
All Ws and Ls are on KF ya moran!

I’m not asking Ferentz to go. We’re coming off of a 10 win season and one of our best 6-7 year stretches. I do want him held accountable and to properly explain how his son is qualified to be an OC outside of his last name.
Based on resume, I don’t completely question BF’s promotion to OC (ignoring he’s his son). However, his résumé since has been completely underwhelming. I would guess after last year that 90% of OCs would lose their job with the same résumé. If he stacks another sub top 80 offense he’d have to be in the 99th percentile. I would love to see a beat writer put together some sort of analysis like this.

Dochterman??

Reactions: CAhawki and mlb1399
OP is correct. This is 100% on KFz and it's getting old. There's the idea of not listening to critics, then there's just plain putting your head up your ass and ignoring reality. He's moved from the first to the second...and has been there before.

Reactions: JLDHAWK

There is a vast difference between "not great" and the level of suck that this offense has fallen to. It wasn't that long ago that the offensive efficiency, if not scoring, was top 50 in the country. The current slide started under Brian's watch.

Based on resume, I don’t completely question BF’s promotion to OC (ignoring he’s his son). However, his résumé since has been completely underwhelming. I would guess after last year that 90% of OCs would lose their job with the same résumé. If he stacks another sub top 80 offense he’d have to be in the 99th percentile. I would love to see a beat writer put together some sort of analysis like this.

Dochterman??
And this is where I am as a fan. Brian would've been fired before the bowl game let alone be allowed to have another year. My fear is Kirk will be vilified due to nepotism. Its all shaping up that way. I feels like the program is being held hostage at the moment. And somehow 100 college kids are in the crossfire.

It is always smart to tell your boss you wouldn't take his job, but very few actually mean it. Given KF has taken Nepotism to an extreme level, that doesn't sit well with most people that have actually earned their positons. I think BF is hamstrung by his own father in what he can do, just like Davis was limited before. Both Davis and BF have put up some okay offenses if they've had the talent. The big issue is lack of talent on offense whcih includes OL, WR, QB.

KF isn't going anywhere, so the only real question is whether a stubborn old man is going to stick to his guns all season on Petras .....more than likely, Petras gets dinged at some point, replaced, and then KF says it SP was unable to perform.

With no passing game, the running game is severely limited.
People just don't seem to get that. Just rewatch the game, and see how many times there were 11 blue helmets within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage right before the snap. You just can't block that.....and it was an almost impossible situation for our new center in his first game, making the line calls, snapping and trying to get his man. It all starts with young Mr Jones, beast or not. If he settles in and progresses game by game, we'll move forward. If not, it's going to be a long season....

I know the statement is obvious. That is the point. Mainly want people to direct their ire at BF and KF, not Petras. He has been failed by them more than anyone.

We all know we have an elite D and elite special teams. We are not asking for much when we want to see an average, competent offense.

Andy works for the Athletic.

"I just want someone at a press conference to ask Kirk Ferentz, have you considered trying to be good at offense....He (Brian Ferentz) is not good at that job...."

Check this out & Watch:

KF has always been an enigma. Hayden Fry hired him to coach the O-line way back when despite KF being vastly underqualified for the job. KF then spent years watching Fry's innovative, efficient offense that consistently featured good to great offensive skill players such as Ronnie (Rose Bowl) Harmon, speedy wide receiver Robert Smith, and a QB by the name of Chuck Long who would come within a whisker of winning the Heisman and leading Iowa to a national title.

And yet when KF got the gig in Iowa City himself--consciously or not--he has done everything possible to distance himself from all the offensive philosophy and great success established under Fry.

As many posters have been saying for most of KF's tenure, with the great defenses built by Norm and then Phil Parker complemented by outstanding special teams, all KF needed to do was hire a mediocre OC and field a modest 60th or 70th-ranked offense to consistently compete for conference and national honors. Instead, KF has dug in his heels and refused to do anything to upgrade the offense. He had to be forced to let Brad Banks play a little as a junior, the kid who--in one year as a starter--finished second in the Heisman voting despite KF's handcuffs.

KF had to be forced to bench Jake Christiansen in favor of Ricky Stanzi. CJ Beathard's dad had to threaten to have his son transfer unless he took over as the starting QB. KF folded, the other kid transferred to Michigan, and Iowa went on to an undefeated 2015 season behind CJ, a season that came up 30 seconds short of a Big Ten title and playoff berth when Phil's defense allowed MSU to complete a 22-play game winning drive.

The facts are the facts, folks. The mule hasn't been born that's more stubborn than KF when it comes to offense, and it makes no sense. Give KF credit for his success, which has been notable, but don't overlook the massive and consistent failures on offense. Oh, what might have been. Oh, what still could be if KF would just get out of his own way and give free reign to someone who knows offense.

The running game doesn't show signs of life because we have ZERO passing game and the worst QB in FBS, so opposing defenses can load up to stop the run since there's no threat of getting burned by the passing game. Our OL definitely has issues but even if you have an OL with multiple all-americans it's not going to matter, 5 guys can't block 8.

Peace to you all.
I think you are being somewhat unfair. Petras has been to QB camps for at least the last two years. The last camp was the Manning camp or was it a girl's scout camp? He started by throwing into to the ground or over heads and has never improved. I watched a lot of football this weekend and saw QB's running all over the field. Petras must have weights in his shoes. What really irked me was he tried to run on a 4th down and slid to avoid a tackle instead of going for the first.

Reactions: KYHWKY
With no passing game, the running game is severely limited.
Find the best athletes on defense and see who can play both ways. I certainly think Cooper could play both ways. Maybe Sebastian Castro too. Former HS QBs who can run. It's not like it can get worse.

Then let's see some quick slants and maybe take a freaking shot downfield once in a while (assuming the OL can sustain a block).

And we need a QB who can anticipate. Petras has no clue what it means to throw a guy open. His throws are almost always late which is why his completion percentage is so poor and he has a tendency to throw picks.

Reactions: MitchLL

Peace to you all.
wait did we lose??? I was there…. thought we won

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT