ADVERTISEMENT

Its crazy how the Big 12 is all Kansas all the time

Pretty much this. While Iowa is in its "do it right" ivory tower, in the real world programs do what is necessary to field a good program. But I'll get too far off topic here.

While I agree that cheaters cheat the system is absolutely rigged to serve markets and teams that sell. It’s dollars driven governance.

There’s no chance a program out of Iowa City, Iowa moves the needle enough for the NCAA to turn a blind eye to its misgivings. The minute we have some success due to standard practices elsewhere and then are caught, the hammer is coming down hard. The NCAA loves to make swift examples out of the non-powerful NCAA programs while academic scandals at UNC basketball are swept under the rug. What’s that Hawaii basketball cheated! Can’t let that stand!

Actually, your last statement is incorrect. Downtown KC loves Iowa State fans, because they actually stay in the hhotels. Kansas fans are usually local enough that they don't. Cyclones have dominated the party aspect of the tournament for decades.

This is correct. They basically take over Kelly's Irish Pub in Westport the whole four days. It's a sickening sea of red in there.

Not in terms of the automatic NCAA berth; that goes to the tournament winner. But any real fan knows the conference champion is the team that wins the regular season title.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure ISU also is second to Kansas in that category....with 2 titles. Which is yet another indicator of how dominant the Jayhawks have been.

When wonder boy used to run around saying he had won two B10 titles it would grate my nerves. I agree the real champ is the regular season champ. I keep hoping someone other than Kansas wins the B12 but it never happens.

This is correct. They basically take over Kelly's Irish Pub in Westport the whole four days. It's a sickening sea of red in there.
I haven't been there for years, but at one time, Kelly's had special ISU beer mugs -- didn't have them for any other team. It was a crazy place. Line outside to get in, and it's a very big bar. Most of the tables removed inside.

Lone Clone - you are incorrect regarding the Regular Season Winner always being recognized as Conf Champion. Perhaps it's that way in some conferences such as the BIG, who for most of their history had no tournament. But the ACC in particular has ALWAYS recognized the Tournament winner as it's official conference champion. But the ACC has also always had it's basketball tournament. It is the original Conference Tournament. which dates back to 1954 when the conference first started. Basketball Tournaments didn't start in other conferences until much later.
SEC tournament started in 1933.

I haven't been there for years, but at one time, Kelly's had special ISU beer mugs -- didn't have them for any other team. It was a crazy place. Line outside to get in, and it's a very big bar. Most of the tables removed inside.

I'm not sure about the mugs LC, but it is still a crazy place. They still pull out most of the tables and you can barely move in there. I kid about it, but it's a pretty good time.

All time, Iowa is 5-2 vs KU in bball...I keep that in my back pocket around these parts (KC). Suck it Jayhawks

https://www.sports-reference.com/cb...&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

Funny story about the '98 game at Allen Fieldhouse. I was at AF with my good friend, Epenesa Epenesa (the real one, not the guy on here using EE as his stage name) that night.

We were in the locker room before the game, on the court during warm ups, etc...yucking it up. Right as we took our seats, my PAGER went off and I went to PAYPHONE to call my babysitter back. 4 year old son body slammed 2 year old son and dislocated his elbow. Those rat-bastard kids made me miss the game and get PAGER updates in the emergency room. Helluva game too. Wish I woulda seen it.

Last edited:
SEC tournament started in 1933.

IamHawkeye - yes the SEC Tournament started in 1933 but you left out that it also ceased operations for 26 years. Neither here nor there but here’s a better summary.

“The conference tournaments possess an uncertain identity in college basketball. In the ACC, the conference tournament is sacred — largely because the sport is cherished in that part of the country, but also because the ACC Tournament is the signature college basketball tournament, the one with the most resonance and stature. The conference tournament is a relatively new thing in the Big Ten, and in the Pac-12, it’s just not a big deal throughout the entirety of the conference. The Big East used to be a larger-than-life conference tournament. Now, it’s just one out of many tournaments thrown together. The SEC Tournament started before all the other ones, but it then ceased to exist for 26 seasons, from 1953 through 1978.”

ADVERTISEMENT