ADVERTISEMENT

It's good enough for Nellie

Don Nelson played his High School basketball at
Rock Island and was a stud then. He lived closer
to Iowa City than Champaign,Illinois and became
a Hawkeye. The rest is history. The guy loved to
play basketball and was really good.

Reactions: HawkinCarmel
Good to hear that he is finally relaxing and enjoying life. Nellie was a really good BB player, just not flashy. Kind of the opposite of many of the players today, who give you a few wow moments, but don't really understand how to play the game.

WOE Nellie......this weed stuff is out of control.

No, not really. It will be accepted in every state of the union before you know it. No sense in trying to stop the inevitable.

The times they are a'changing...

I don’t have a problem with medical purposes where there’s a proven benefit.

I might eventually accept legalization of recreational use IF we studied the states where it is currently legal to see both the positives and the negatives and then made an informed decision.

You might be right, it may end up getting legalized everywhere...but you might be wrong. It may happen but it’s not inevitable.

Probably not the right board to debate pot, but if alcohol is legal, there is no real reason why pot should be illegal. Tax the crap out of it, and use the money to improve education...

I understand the comparison....but it's not legit. I think these things are looked at on the surface level and then comparisons or assumptions made. One of the posts about said something to the fact that it's gonna happen so why contest it. That could be true, but I would hope we don't make decisions based on that type of thinking. Especially decisions as important as this.

Alcohol v weed as far as intoxication....I get it. But can alcohol cause lung cancer? Are there other health risks associated with weed? I read some early info from Colorado includes the tax revenue isn't nearly what they expected and school absences related to marijuana use were up 19%........does that constitute justification not to legalize? Probably not, but what else are we missing?

I understand the comparison....but it's not legit. I think these things are looked at on the surface level and then comparisons or assumptions made. One of the posts about said something to the fact that it's gonna happen so why contest it. That could be true, but I would hope we don't make decisions based on that type of thinking. Especially decisions as important as this.

Alcohol v weed as far as intoxication....I get it. But can alcohol cause lung cancer? Are there other health risks associated with weed? I read some early info from Colorado includes the tax revenue isn't nearly what they expected and school absences related to marijuana use were up 19%........does that constitute justification not to legalize? Probably not, but what else are we missing?
I know it would be hard to keep minors from smoking pot (it already is), but I assume that it would not be legal until 18. I also assume that parents would be breaking the law by giving it to their kids, as with alcohol.

I don't think there is much debate that someone who is drunk puts themselves at risk more, especially driving, than someone who smokes pot. I am not advocating for everyone to go out smoke pot. For some, it leads to a lifestyle of basically doing nothing constructive (wow man!), but that is probably the biggest risk. The risk of being arrested, as is the case in states where it is still illegal, causes far more harm (including an unnecessary adversarial relationship with law enforcement). The lung cancer argument might be legit, if cigarettes weren't legal, and far more addicting.

I know it would be hard to keep minors from smoking pot (it already is), but I assume that it would not be legal until 18. I also assume that parents would be breaking the law by giving it to their kids, as with alcohol.

I don't think there is much debate that someone who is drunk puts themselves at risk more, especially driving, than someone who smokes pot. I am not advocating for everyone to go out smoke pot. For some, it leads to a lifestyle of basically doing nothing constructive (wow man!), but that is probably the biggest risk. The risk of being arrested, as is the case in states where it is still illegal, causes far more harm (including an unnecessary adversarial relationship with law enforcement). The lung cancer argument might be legit, if cigarettes weren't legal, and far more addicting.

Some information I have read said that marijuana has 7 times the carcinogens as tobacco. That might be a point to note and understand better (because I don’t claim to know how that exactly translates to lung cancer) and that’s why these easy comparisons to alcohol and cigarettes are not a good idea.

When you mention driving under the influence...do we really know that one is worse than the other? If a person is impaired and they get behind the wheel aren’t we all at risk? If marijuana is legalized isn’t that going to happen a great deal more often?

There are a lot of questions I would like answers to before we just charge ahead because other states have done it.

I might eventually accept legalization of recreational use IF we studied the states where it is currently legal to see both the positives and the negatives and then made an informed decision.

You might be right, it may end up getting legalized everywhere...but you might be wrong. It may happen but it’s not inevitable.
People are studying the states where legalized.

There is a difference in something being "wrong" and being illegal.

Some information I have read said that marijuana has 7 times the carcinogens as tobacco. That might be a point to note and understand better (because I don’t claim to know how that exactly translates to lung cancer) and that’s why these easy comparisons to alcohol and cigarettes are not a good idea.

When you mention driving under the influence...do we really know that one is worse than the other? If a person is impaired and they get behind the wheel aren’t we all at risk? If marijuana is legalized isn’t that going to happen a great deal more often?

There are a lot of questions I would like answers to before we just charge ahead because other states have done it.

Perryhawk, unfortunately you have mis-information regarding cannabis. Please list an article that shows 7 times the carcinogens as tobacco. If there is an article, is has to be from the old reefer madness years. Most research lately is showing that cannabis has anti cancer properties. Plus the main way to get carcinogens would be from burning the weed from a joint, pipe or bong. When you ingest it through water, vaporization, edibles, tinctures etc... you pretty much take out any chance for harmful effects.

Also, as far as traffic accidents, recent research here in Colorado had the following relationships: you are 14 times more likely to be in a traffic accident being drunk than sober, versus 2 times more likely to be in a traffic accident on cannabis.

I'd settle for either over a kid with a cellphone behind the wheel every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Reactions: blhawk

Yeah, we don't even have to do a study on the positives vs negatives of alcohol....we already know the negatives are significant and far outweigh those of cannabis. But people haven't been brainwashed about alcohol the same way. If they allowed cannabis and banned alcohol around kinnick people would freak out but the arrests would plummet and there would be way less emergency room trips. Period. Do your thing, Nellie....

I'd settle for either over a kid with a cellphone behind the wheel every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Again, I haven't made up my mind on legalization for recreational use. The trouble I see is that this is not an either or scenario. So add those driving impaired with marijuana on top of the people using cell phones and those under the influence of alcohol. It just continues to add to the total, which is not a good thing.

Yeah, we don't even have to do a study on the positives vs negatives of alcohol....we already know the negatives are significant and far outweigh those of cannabis. But people haven't been brainwashed about alcohol the same way. If they allowed cannabis and banned alcohol around kinnick people would freak out but the arrests would plummet and there would be way less emergency room trips. Period. Do your thing, Nellie....

I will add again that I am not saying we shouldn't legalize. But I can tell you that the abuse of alcohol is a much worse problem than most understand. It's often a part of domestic violence, sexual assault, assault, and other issues that have terrible long term consequences....I'm not saying we should go back to prohibition, it's just that we should base our decisions on more than just wanting to be able to smoke it legally so we make every argument bend towards that end. We should look at everything and make an informed decision based on actual evidence.

Edibles yo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT