ADVERTISEMENT

It's nearly gameday for CyHawk..

DodgerHawki

HR Legend
Nov 19, 2002
and it just seems weird that little discussion by the rival fan bases about the game itself. Iowa fans are just petrified that the great defense and good punter won't matter at all if the offense is this abysmal.

And Iowa State fans apparently are at least SOMEWHAT hesitant about proclaiming the greatness of their coach and program after stodgy KF has kicked the golden child's rear end 5 times in a row.

Of course, I'm sure we will hear Dekkers for Heisman takes should ISU manage to win. But I kind of miss the great proclamations about how Brock Purdy is going to tear apart the Iowa defense. Good times.

I hope the east stand fans down low have their vocal chords well rested! They haven't been here since 2018, so most of them have never been.

Reactions: pmtdc
and it just seems weird that little discussion by the rival fan bases about the game itself. Iowa fans are just petrified that the great defense and good punter won't matter at all if the offense is this abysmal.

And Iowa State fans apparently are at least SOMEWHAT hesitant about proclaiming the greatness of their coach and program after stodgy KF has kicked the golden child's rear end 5 times in a row.

Of course, I'm sure we will hear Dekkers for Heisman takes should ISU manage to win. But I kind of miss the great proclamations about how Brock Purdy is going to tear apart the Iowa defense. Good times.
Oddly enough, this game became more of a must-win for Iowa than it is for Iowa State.

If we lose, we're guaranteed not only less than 8 wins, but given the offensive struggles, probably just fighting for bowl eligibility..........

Win and we're set for at least another 8 win season! (even with this offense) :D

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Oddly enough, this game became more of a must-win for Iowa than it is for Iowa State.

If we lose, we're guaranteed not only less than 8 wins, but given the offensive struggles, probably just fighting for bowl eligibility..........

Win and we're set for at least another 8 win season! (even with this offense) :D
I dunno. Big picture Iowa State is getting punted to AA ball compared to Iowa.

I'm hoping the Hawks can pull this off. Thinking the score will be 13-10.
sad-clown.gif

14 or even 17 maybe but i don't think padilla will have enough time to put up 24 points in just the second half...not enough time particularly not when we are milking clock with a one score lead...
I’ve been told by Clone fans that our secondary is suspect and the clones will score plenty. “Hammer the over”.

I’ve been told by Clone fans that our secondary is suspect and the clones will score plenty. “Hammer the over”.

Wish Jemari Harris was available, but Terry Roberts just brings it. Dude hits like a truck. As long as our safeties are disciplined we will be just fine.

Reactions: Legs94
Secondary did show some flaws last week. Nothing is perfect
If their plan is to “air raid” Iowa to death with a qb with one career start at home against an abysmal FCS team, I like Iowa’s chances.

I don't think either fanbase feels even remotely confident in the game so there isn't going to be a lot of chatter. Plus, regarding Iowa, I just don't know what else there is to say. But if you want my honest opinion on how both teams win, here we are:

Iowa advantages:
ISU has true freshman at both kicker and punter. We've seen some truly breathtakingly awful punting from ISU in this game under Campbell so that seems certainly possible. New kicker seems to be able to put the ball out of the back of the endzone on kickoffs so he's a fan favorite already but who knows how he performs.

Dekkers has looked pretty good but if Iowa can dial up some pressure I'd be very curious to see if he continues to try to push the ball down the field and make some mistakes.

Will Campbell try to just pound the ball into the line with Brock 20+ times? If so I don't feel good here.

SEMO was not a great team but they had a AA RB from last year gain 8 yards on 6 carries. However, their QB got 74 yards on 12 carries. I don't want Padilla in the game because a QB that can extend plays hurts ISU historically.
Brecht being back will help, he is a big target and I think he can really help the receiving corp. If Petras is a little high on his throws like he typically is that's well within Brecht's wingspan. Hit a couple of deep ones and that might be all it takes.

ISU advantages:
If ISU can stack the box, limit the run, and make Petras try to beat ISU obviously I think that favors ISU.

If the kickers just don't shank balls I feel good about it.

If ISU can get any running game going, including running Dekkers some I'll feel good. That said I want the SEMO first half game plan where they pass like 75% of the time.

I have to think at some point, Iowa makes some mistakes that lead to turnovers that help ISU. If ISU can get any lead in this game I think ISU gets a turnover or two.

I don't think either fanbase feels even remotely confident in the game so there isn't going to be a lot of chatter. Plus, regarding Iowa, I just don't know what else there is to say. But if you want my honest opinion on how both teams win, here we are:

Iowa advantages:
ISU has true freshman at both kicker and punter. We've seen some truly breathtakingly awful punting from ISU in this game under Campbell so that seems certainly possible. New kicker seems to be able to put the ball out of the back of the endzone on kickoffs so he's a fan favorite already but who knows how he performs.

Dekkers has looked pretty good but if Iowa can dial up some pressure I'd be very curious to see if he continues to try to push the ball down the field and make some mistakes.

Will Campbell try to just pound the ball into the line with Brock 20+ times? If so I don't feel good here.

SEMO was not a great team but they had a AA RB from last year gain 8 yards on 6 carries. However, their QB got 74 yards on 12 carries. I don't want Padilla in the game because a QB that can extend plays hurts ISU historically.
Brecht being back will help, he is a big target and I think he can really help the receiving corp. If Petras is a little high on his throws like he typically is that's well within Brecht's wingspan. Hit a couple of deep ones and that might be all it takes.

ISU advantages:
If ISU can stack the box, limit the run, and make Petras try to beat ISU obviously I think that favors ISU.

If ISU can get any running game going, including running Dekkers some I'll feel good. That said I want the SEMO first half game plan where they pass like 75% of the time.

I have to think at some point, Iowa makes some mistakes that lead to turnovers that help ISU. If ISU can get any lead in this game I think ISU gets a turnover or two.
If ISU gets a lead it’s game over. Petras isn’t leading any kind of comeback.

Iowa advantages:

ISU advantages:

Brecht will have 1 or less catches, no impact there.
ISU using Purdue's gameplan for throwing/route trees would be smart. Can Dekkers execute it under duress? Phil Parker is going to dial up the heat so we'll see.
No surprise, but turnovers are going to dictate the winner. Iowa goes +2, they win, they go -2 like last week, ISU and Campbell get off the schneid.
Go Hawks.

Reactions: dadster and hawkjt
What is there to talk about?

it all comes down to the Iowa defense, as usual, can they give our shitty offense enough short fields to squeak out a few FGs and maybe a fluke touchdown.

rather easy storyline

After last year, I refuse to get overly optimistic. Maybe the most talented team has ever had - high expectations - playing at home - Game Day. There was no way Iowa was gonna win.

Then Iowa comes in and kicks their ass. It was totally disheartening.

So, I am cautiously optimistic. Wouldn't be surprised either way. Goofy things seem to happen. I'm expecting Petras to look like Josh Allen tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
ADVERTISEMENT