ADVERTISEMENT

It's not the big donors

pondscum

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2011
Barta gets enough money from the gates and TV to ignore the "big donors". The big donors probably can't change a thing.
The people who can really put pressure on Barta is the President and the athletic board of control. I knew a person on the board that replaced the coach with Hayden. He told me early into the season that coach was going to be fired and one of the people they were interested in was Hayden. That was pre internet, I'd never heard of him and without google I wasn't able to find much out. So, if you know anyone on the athletic board of control or the president of the U of Iowa that's who can put real pressure on Barta to make a change. leave out the big donors. I think most of the donors give to a project not the general athletic fund

I don’t know any big donors, but I would say the typical booster at Iowa doesn’t care so much about wins and losses as being able to rub elbows with the bigwigs in the athletic department and host cool skybox parties where their family can take photos to post on social media to show everyone how cool and rich they are.

I think the program would actually have to fall to the level that Colorado is at now and stay there for 2-3 seasons for there to be any call from the big donors to be a change in the head coach.

Despite what fans think, the Iowa Football program is not circling the drain. Yes, the offense has made the program look pretty foolish the last month, but the team won the West last year and 10 games.

If you are the President or a member of the Board of Regents, problems on the offensive side of the ball on the football team is the furthest thing from your mind.

NO ONE with any decision making authority over the football team is going to PANIC about the team. And frankly, no one should. Having a poor football team for a year is not going to bring the University to it's knees.

It's not the Board of Regents but the Athletic Board of Control and they do take a real interest or at least used to. The President probably wouldn't take much interest as long as the program represents the university well

Reactions: hawkod
Having a poor football team for a year is not going to bring the University to it's knees.
Not going to argue with that. The problem is the obvious trend that has been going on since nepotism has been allowed and encouraged within the football program. I think it's pretty obvious now that Iowa was a paper tiger in '20 and '21. This season feels a lot more like '98 (program on the brink of collapse) than '12, (just a plain down year that developmental programs have now and again, much like '06-'07). This program reeks of having systemic issues throughout, which is going to happen when half the team is performing at a Division II level, especially when that half is under the control of the untouchable HC and his unqualified, inept idiot kid. The stench is in the air - Iowa football is in a bad, bad place right now.

It's not the Board of Regents but the Athletic Board of Control and they do take a real interest or at least used to. The President probably wouldn't take much interest as long as the program represents the university well
How well does "Nepotism is a-ok, even when it results in the worst performance in the country" represent the university?

Not going to argue with that. The problem is the obvious trend that has been going on since nepotism has been allowed and encouraged within the football program. I think it's pretty obvious now that Iowa was a paper tiger in '20 and '21. This season feels a lot more like '98 (program on the brink of collapse) than '12, (just a plain down year that developmental programs have now and again, much like '06-'07). This program reeks of having systemic issues throughout, which is going to happen when half the team is performing at a Division II level, especially when that half is under the control of the untouchable HC and his unqualified, inept idiot kid. The stench is in the air - Iowa football is in a bad, bad place right now.
How can it be obvious NOW that they team wasn't good in 2020 and 2021? Reeks of having systemic issues throughout? Program on the brink of collapse?

Did I get all that right? Seems a little over the top, but ok.

Anyway, my post was not an "all is fine here" post. It was addressing the idea that the President or the Board of Regents might somehow step in. It's not going to happen.

How can it be obvious NOW that they team wasn't good in 2020 and 2021? Reeks of having systemic issues throughout? Program on the brink of collapse?

Did I get all that right? Seems a little over the top, but ok.

Anyway, my post was not an "all is fine here" post. It was addressing the idea that the President or the Board of Regents might somehow step in. It's not going to happen.
The President and the Regents and few if any big donors will make any difference probably the only two would be Barta and the Athletic Board of Control. If it stays like this, they may put some pressure on. The thing is he might want to move BF down but that would require letting someone go and bringing in a new OC

The President and the Regents and few if any big donors will make any difference probably the only two would be Barta and the Athletic Board of Control. If it stays like this, they may put some pressure on. The thing is he might want to move BF down but that would require letting someone go and bringing in a new OC
Agreed, although I don't really know anything about the Athletics Board of Control. What is their role exactly? I googled it and got nothing.

Everyone thinks KF "owns" Barta, or that Barta is "afraid" of KF. They believe that because he hasn't done anything.

BF reports to Barta, and Barta needs to fire him. If KF doesn't like it, what's he going to do exactly? Threaten to leave? Very, very hallow threat, as the administration would be happy to hold the door open for him and not have to worry about the buy-out.

I was absolutely convinced that the BF experiment was over after last year. The timing was good - fresh start for BF, the offense gets a reboot after a ten win season. Lots of money available to hire anyone.

Once that didn't happen, I was absolutely convinced that we would see a new QB - like Labas. Another sort of reboot.

So, like most Hawk fans, I only know what I believe should happen ... not what will happen.

Agreed, although I don't really know anything about the Athletics Board of Control. What is their role exactly? I googled it and got nothing.

Everyone thinks KF "owns" Barta, or that Barta is "afraid" of KF. They believe that because he hasn't done anything.

BF reports to Barta, and Barta needs to fire him. If KF doesn't like it, what's he going to do exactly? Threaten to leave? Very, very hallow threat, as the administration would be happy to hold the door open for him and not have to worry about the buy-out.

I was absolutely convinced that the BF experiment was over after last year. The timing was good - fresh start for BF, the offense gets a reboot after a ten win season. Lots of money available to hire anyone.

Once that didn't happen, I was absolutely convinced that we would see a new QB - like Labas. Another sort of reboot.

So, like most Hawk fans, I only know what I believe should happen ... not what will happen.
I was at Iowa a long time ago so I don't know how it is run now. Here is how I think it was at that time The Board was between Athletics and the President. They would have been the ones that hire Barta and be his boss ultimate boss. The person on the board knew about everything going on. I remember one day he told me the athletic department was running up these huge phone bills and didn't have a Watts line. So, at that time they were very involved. So involved they got down to that level. I would guess they are still in place, but I don't know. So, the coaches report to Barta, Barta reports to the Board and the Board reports to the President. If it's all still in place like it was, and this continues to go this way I could see the board putting some pressure on Barta. I'm guessing but I think they would have approved KF hiring BF. I know someone I could ask if it's all still in place I'll try to check this week

Big money donors, presidents, board members. It just don't matter. Kf buy out is so ridiculous , that no one can touch him especially Barta

I was at Iowa a long time ago so I don't know how it is run now. Here is how I think it was at that time The Board was between Athletics and the President. They would have been the ones that hire Barta and be his boss ultimate boss. The person on the board knew about everything going on. I remember one day he told me the athletic department was running up these huge phone bills and didn't have a Watts line. So, at that time they were very involved. So involved they got down to that level. I would guess they are still in place, but I don't know. So, the coaches report to Barta, Barta reports to the Board and the Board reports to the President. If it's all still in place like it was, and this continues to go this way I could see the board putting some pressure on Barta. I'm guessing but I think they would have approved KF hiring BF. I know someone I could ask if it's all still in place I'll try to check this week
Interesting.

I wonder of the "Board of Control" is really all that concerned about W/L's. It sounds more like a compliance and budgetary group.

Reactions: pondscum
Interesting.

I wonder of the "Board of Control" is really all that concerned about W/L's. It sounds more like a compliance and budgetary group.
Well my friend seemed to know everything going on perhaps it was just him. I did try to reach
out and see if all this is still in place

Googling "Board of Control" yields nothing.

But I did find info on the "Presidential Committee on Athletics". This board/committee was chartered in 1982, so it's probably the modern equivalent of the one from 1978.

I appreciate your friend's historical insights, but I think a lot has changed in the college athletics landscape in the last 40 years.

Color me skeptical, but if this committee all said they wanted KF out, meanwhile the Hansen and Moon Families, and other well-heeled types still want KF in there, he ain't going anywhere. Back in 1978, it may have been about pride, but in 2022 it's all about dollars.

Googling "Board of Control" yields nothing.

But I did find info on the "Presidential Committee on Athletics". This board/committee was chartered in 1982, so it's probably the modern equivalent of the one from 1978.

I appreciate your friend's historical insights, but I think a lot has changed in the college athletics landscape in the last 40 years.

Color me skeptical, but if this committee all said they wanted KF out, meanwhile the Hansen and Moon Families, and other well-heeled types still want KF in there, he ain't going anywhere. Back in 1978, it may have been about pride, but in 2022 it's all about dollars.
Why TF would they want him to stay?

Low standards. They're still mentally stuck in the Lauterbur/Commings era because that's who was coaching during their formative years.

"We're bowl eligible!" So long as they can plan their winter vacation around a warm bowl destination, they're happy.

Also, "classy", "nice guy", and "runs a clean program".

I am sure there will be staff changes to some degree at end of season. I think most or all voluntary. Why doesn’t Phil depart or say anything? Dude is loyal to the core.

Low standards. They're still mentally stuck in the Lauterbur/Commings era because that's who was coaching during their formative years.

"We're bowl eligible!" So long as they can plan their winter vacation around a warm bowl destination, they're happy.

That's complete bs. He's not and hasn't.

Despite what fans think, the Iowa Football program is not circling the drain. Yes, the offense has made the program look pretty foolish the last month, but the team won the West last year and 10 games.

If you are the President or a member of the Board of Regents, problems on the offensive side of the ball on the football team is the furthest thing from your mind.

NO ONE with any decision making authority over the football team is going to PANIC about the team. And frankly, no one should. Having a poor football team for a year is not going to bring the University to it's knees.
You need to amend your statement to reflect the offense has made the program look pretty foolish for the better part of the last 13 months, and if not for the defense, would not have been anywhere near a 10 game winner last season.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
You need to amend your statement to reflect the offense has made the program look pretty foolish for the better part of the last 13 months, and if not for the defense, would not have been anywhere near a 10 game winner last season.
Nope.

The context of this thread is whether someone in authority at the University should, or actually will, step in and do something about the team. I have said that there is no chance of that.

13 months ago the Hawks just squashed ranked Indiana at their place. 12 months ago the Hawks were ranked #2. 10 months ago the Hawks were 10-2 heading into the B1G Championship game.

But, sure, the President should have stepped in because the offense wasn't very good.

The word "booster" in Iowa City has faded in importance, thanks to the financial success of the B1G. Unless someone is standing next to Barta with a $25 million check wanting him to do their bidding, I don't think they carry that much weight anymore.

The word "booster" in Iowa City has faded in importance, thanks to the financial success of the B1G. Unless someone is standing next to Barta with a $25 million check wanting him to do their bidding, I don't think they carry that much weight anymore.
I'm not entirely sure about this, I think the booster with the NIL deals across the NCAA carry more weight than ever.

Reactions: dadster
Nope.

The context of this thread is whether someone in authority at the University should, or actually will, step in and do something about the team. I have said that there is no chance of that.

13 months ago the Hawks just squashed ranked Indiana at their place. 12 months ago the Hawks were ranked #2. 10 months ago the Hawks were 10-2 heading into the B1G Championship game.

But, sure, the President should have stepped in because the offense wasn't very good.
Regardless of the context of the thread, you stated the offense had been making the program look foolish for the past month, which is absolutely true, but it's also true the offense made the program look foolish the better part of last season (roughly 13 months) as well, which is what I said. There were games the offense didn't look as bad, but overall the offense was a joke (stats don't lie). It's laughable that you'd bring up rankings and give the offense that much credit. Iowa should never have been ranked #2, and the only reason the team was 10-2 last season, was Phil Parker's defense.

I generally agree with this. My main point was that the Iowa boosters still probably have more influence than the President's Committee.

That’s a big ‘if’ since defense is part of the team.

the offense has been pedestrian 3 out of every 4 years for decades. Iowa football hasn’t. When it’s not pedestrian, we have the once every 4-5 year run as the 1st through 3rd best B1G team and finish ranked respectfully high.

The O is exceptionally rugged this year. But the memories of Fry teams, or early Ferentz teams running up and down the field isn’t accurate

That’s a big ‘if’ since defense is part of the team.

the offense has been pedestrian 3 out of every 4 years for decades. Iowa football hasn’t. When it’s not pedestrian, we have the once every 4-5 year run as the 1st through 3rd best B1G team and finish ranked respectfully high.

The O is exceptionally rugged this year. But the memories of Fry teams, or early Ferentz teams running up and down the field isn’t accurate
Respectfully, your post is mostly nonsense in the context of what I was replying to, but I'll respond.

The post I replied to was referring to the offense being poor the past month, to which I stated it has been 13 months of poor offense. The post went on to mention the number of games won, to which I stated the defense was a much larger reason for the number being so high. Your initial sentence is silly, in context.

I have no idea how your second point has anything to do with what I said, but yes, the offense has perennially not been Iowa's strong suit.

Your last point is perhaps the most confusing, since I said nothing about the offense under Fry or Ferentz "running up and down the field". The offense has been especially bad this and last season, as a whole, which was my point.

Barta gets enough money from the gates and TV to ignore the "big donors". The big donors probably can't change a thing.
The people who can really put pressure on Barta is the President and the athletic board of control. I knew a person on the board that replaced the coach with Hayden. He told me early into the season that coach was going to be fired and one of the people they were interested in was Hayden. That was pre internet, I'd never heard of him and without google I wasn't able to find much out. So, if you know anyone on the athletic board of control or the president of the U of Iowa that's who can put real pressure on Barta to make a change. leave out the big donors. I think most of the donors give to a project not the general athletic fund
Right, big donors don't fund the building of new stuff or buys those fancy box seats

I’ve never heard of the “Athletics board of control” …. tried finding the members on google….. looked at the athletic department’s staff directory…… curious whether this board even exists….. personally I’m not on the fire Kirk bandwagon at all….. I honestly was just interested in if there even is this board……. you suggested calling it’s members…….. who are they?

I’ve never heard of the “Athletics board of control” …. tried finding the members on google….. looked at the athletic department’s staff directory…… curious whether this board even exists…..
I'm sure whatever or whoever this "board" is has about as much influence as the Imperial Senate under Palpatine.

I'm sure whatever or whoever this "board" is has about as much influence as the Imperial Senate under Palpatine.
I’ll be honest….. I had to google who the hell Palpatine was……this comment explains a lot about you😂

I went to the original two Star Wars movies in the theater a lonnng time ago (on acid) haven’t watched another one since

I’m more of a lord of the rings….. game of thrones guy 😎

I generally agree with this. My main point was that the Iowa boosters still probably have more influence than the President's Committee.
Agreed.

Obviously, the President will need to get involved if KF is to be fired. I wonder if she will get involved if Barta decides to "stay the course"?

Reactions: pondscum
I think there are 1 maybe 2 people that could convince KF to make changes.

Mary. PP.

P.S. I, also, think BF was trying to move on as some alluded to, but I think after the CD thing blew up with Urban Meyer that many places said yeah we aren't touching that. I think at a minimum BF is here until the lawsuit is resolved, and it still may be dicey for him to score another job. I think he will need to go back to being an OL/TE coach and hang under the radar for a while honestly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT