ADVERTISEMENT

It's Official: JRent

The worse B1G can say is no and based on their recent history...Micic, Suriano etc they say yes. Just going that route. Also, I seemed to hear that the B1G is going this route anyways here in the future. If so, why hold a kid up now when they are not going to need waivers in a year or two.

Looks like you were right about B1G, IAChief.

From FLO....

<< FloWrestling has been able to confirm through the Renteria family that Jason has been granted a full release, including Big 10 schools.>>

They say he's still undecided about where to go at this point.

With this now full release, an obvious result of push back from JRent; it’s pretty clear he wants to go B10. With clear favorite being Iowa. My opinion has changed, I think it’s all Iowa. It’s nice if/when we get him, the lineup looks good for a few years...

Honest question; who is closer (wrestling shape wise) to wrestling 41? DeSanto or JRent?

Reactions: Dagboi

Unless DeSanto redshirts to have two years at 41, you are correct. Also have to remember that Renteria is still a possibility in all of this. The same plan would work with him. Looking at it all, one could go:

Lee
DeSanto (Renteria Shirt)
Murin, Happel, Turk
Lugo

Lee (Oly Shirt?)/Cashman
DeSanto (RS?), Renteria, Cashman
Murin, Happel, Turk
Lugo

Lee
Cashman
DeSanto/Renteria
Murin/Happel/Renteria

These are just a few ideas.

It could all work out. Would be very nice to have JRent back in the fold.

I would certainly welcome JRent to the team and think he would make us better. One has to worry about how much scholly $ we are putting into 133 and 141 (and 149 two years from now) with DeSanto, Cashman, Renteria (if he comes), Turk, Happel, and Murin. All are very good/great, but that is 6 guys probably with mid AA potential for two/three weights - none are screaming NC. I love DeSanto's potential and I think he could be in the NC discussion in a couple years, but I I don't see that in the others. I would rather have 1 or 2 absolute hammers - even if it takes a year or two. This influx makes the chance of us getting a hammer at these two weights much less likely due to scholarship money limitations.

I would certainly welcome JRent to the team and think he would make us better. One has to worry about how much scholly $ we are putting into 133 and 141 (and 149 two years from now) with DeSanto, Cashman, Renteria (if he comes), Turk, Happel, and Murin. All are very good/great, but that is 6 guys probably with mid AA potential for two/three weights - none are screaming NC. I love DeSanto's potential and I think he could be in the NC discussion in a couple years, but I I don't see that in the others. I would rather have 1 or 2 absolute hammers - even if it takes a year or two. This influx makes the chance of us getting a hammer at these two weights much less likely due to scholarship money limitations.
Fair point. How do you rank our 133-141-pounders in terms of likelihood to win an NCAA title? For the sake of argument include Renteria.

Fair point. How do you rank our 133-141-pounders in terms of likelihood to win an NCAA title? For the sake of argument include Renteria.

Possible:
DeSanto

Possible but unlikely:
JRent/Murin - tie

Very unlikelies:
Happel
Cashman - lot of time to improve. Could be at 125 if Lee takes a RS.
Turk - just because he is older/has less time

I like all those guys. Just hope the $ tied up in them doesn't limit our ability to go all in on studs at 174/184.

Last edited:
It’s simple. Others will loose and/or a reduction in scholarships as they become juniors, seniors and don’t start.
Nope.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/go...wer-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships.html

"The Big Ten has become the first major conference to guarantee scholarships to all student-athletes through the duration of an athlete's enrollment at one of its universities.
Any student-athlete recruited to a Big Ten institution through the offer of an athletic scholarship will be guaranteed the following throughout the course of their enrollment:
  • The scholarship will neither be reduced nor cancelled provided he or she remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department."

Last edited:
Just curious if it is OK to stipulate that they will, for example, get 0.5 scholly if they AA a previous year, 0.4 scholly if they were a starter at the BTT, or 0.2 scholly if they are a nonstarter the prior year?

Or does it have to be, for example, a 0.5 scholly/year regardless if they are a NC or nonstarter?

Are they able to increase a scholly from 0.3 to 0.5 if there is more available or if they want to reward a wrestler for better performance?

Just curious if it is OK to stipulate that they will, for example, get 0.5 scholly if they AA a previous year, 0.4 scholly if they were a starter at the BTT, or 0.2 scholly if they are a nonstarter the prior year?

Or does it have to be, for example, a 0.5 scholly/year regardless if they are a NC or nonstarter?

Are they able to increase a scholly from 0.3 to 0.5 if there is more available or if they want to reward a wrestler for better performance?
It can be increased for whatever reason the coaches want but not reduced because of lack of athletic production.

So a coach can start a kid with minimal money with incentives based on production.

It is unlikely guys like Cashman and Turk are getting significant scholarship money.

Reactions: Huck
It is unlikely guys like Cashman and Turk are getting significant scholarship money.
Whoa Spooner dont get soft on us “unlikely” that is not the Spooner we all know and love. Just busting chops I agree though I would imagine those guys are on or will be min. Sports scholly money. I would love to be a fly on the wall when TnT and Co. are making these Decisions.

Last edited:
It can be increased for whatever reason the coaches want but not reduced because of lack of athletic production.

So a coach can start a kid with minimal money with incentives based on production.

Thanks.

There is no limit on the amount of slush money that can be given or withdrawn based on performance though, is that correct? The NCAA does not regulate that from what I am gathering.

Reactions: Mattski and Dagboi
Thanks.

There is no limit on the amount of slush money that can be given or withdrawn based on performance though, is that correct? The NCAA does not regulate that from what I am gathering.
Friends of the program ;)
tenor.gif

Agree, we need to spend dough at 174
I thought the consensus was everyone is feeling pretty good about Kennedy for 174 in a few years and thinking we could manage until then? Or is he projected at 184?

Nope.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/go...wer-conference-to-guarantee-scholarships.html

"The Big Ten has become the first major conference to guarantee scholarships to all student-athletes through the duration of an athlete's enrollment at one of its universities.
Any student-athlete recruited to a Big Ten institution through the offer of an athletic scholarship will be guaranteed the following throughout the course of their enrollment:
  • The scholarship will neither be reduced nor cancelled provided he or she remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department."

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link.

So papa, how does this change the structure of scholarship money promises in real life these days? Old days, I am assuming a wrestler was promised, say, 0.5 scholly and told it could vary year to year if they are not a starter and could increase if they are NC,etc.

Does that same wrestler now get promised 0.2 or 0.3 scholly and told that it could increase if they are a starter, etc. Seems like any promise of scholarship money these days has to be based on their floor and not average expectation as it cannot be reduced.

This rule makes a lot more sense for FB and BB where the scholarship cap isn't as important.

So papa, how does this change the structure of scholarship money promises in real life these days? Old days, I am assuming a wrestler was promised, say, 0.5 scholly and told it could vary year to year if they are not a starter and could increase if they are NC,etc.

Does that same wrestler now get promised 0.2 or 0.3 scholly and told that it could increase if they are a starter, etc. Seems like any promise of scholarship money these days has to be based on their floor and not average expectation as it cannot be reduced.

This rule makes a lot more sense for FB and BB where the scholarship cap isn't as important.
It just means coaches have to be even more prudent. I think there is an increase of kids being urged to "retire" for medical reasons. These are the kids that didn't meet expectations, likely won't start or meet those expectations going forward, would have gotten reductions years ago and got "injured". They get to keep their aid and it doesn't go against the 9.9

Turk is a frustrating wrestler to watch. Head/hands defense was below avg, body positioning, not
getting first takedown, constantly look at the clock, etc.

By March some of these items had been address...others not so much

ADVERTISEMENT