ADVERTISEMENT

It's official

Using a calorie counter on my phone. Not eating breakfast and for the most part sticking to just 2 meals a day. Usually try to keep the first under 800 Cal. That has been the biggest change.

Also limiting the amount of pop I drink.

Alot of smaller changes. I eat most salads now with lite Italian dressing.

Using a calorie counter on my phone. Not eating breakfast and for the most part sticking to just 2 meals a day. Usually try to keep the first under 800 Cal. That has been the biggest change.

Congrats. How many calories do you eat?

Congratulations. Here’s some motivation. Trust your mirror, not your scale.

91562246f38bda6c6b4a60357a5cc9a7.jpg

Congrats. How many calories do you eat?

The app on my phone gives me a budget in how many calories I can have based on my size and how fast I want to lose the weight. I set it for a pound and a half per week.

I just got pushed down to 1,990 with my latest weigh in. When I started my budget was like 2,500 so I have had to cope with significantly less calories over time.

200 was my original goal but I decided dropping 10 more pounds would out me in normal BMI.

I am tempted to drop the setting down to a pound a week though.

I'd die eating two meals a day and no breakfast. Generally more, smaller meals is what is recommended to boost metabolism.

200 was my original goal but I decided dropping 10 more pounds would out me in normal BMI.

I am tempted to drop the setting down to a pound a week though.
Don't worry about BMI- it's a complete crock of shite.

But hey, things seem to be working for you! Congrats and keep going.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I'd die eating two meals a day and no breakfast. Generally more, smaller meals is what is recommended to boost metabolism.

Actually there has been good research into intermittent fasting which is basically what this is.

It's a guideline but doesn't work for all body types. I'm pretty sure it is a decent guideline for me. But I do have to see my doctor on Thursday for my regular 6 month seizure med refills. So I will ask him where he thinks I should be.

Might also ask if he thinks I should try going off my hypertension medication.

Congrats, man! Keep living a long, healthy life. The world needs more people like you.

I have lost like 30 pounds before but I hit a wall and gave up, gained it all back.

This time I got through it and my intention is to use some sort of calorie counter for the rest of my life. It occurred to me that I can no longer spend my life eating whatever I want in any quantities I want. That sucks but it's reality.

Reactions: Hawk_82
I have lost like 30 pounds before but I hit a wall and gave up, gained it all back.

This time I got through it and my intention is to use some sort of calorie counter for the rest of my life. It occurred to me that I can no longer spend my life eating whatever I want in any quantities I want. That sucks but it's reality.

I have a friend going back to my U of I days, an infrequent poster here, that turned it around as he hit 40. He used to go to the pubs in IC every weekend and then about 5 years ago he stopped drinking. Then he cut out fast food a year ago. And this summer he now counts carbs and has a daily threshold. He has lost 45 so far, down to about 235 (he's 6'0"). I am super impressed. I don't know if I would have the will power. I do workout every other day, and every day in coaching season, but I don't know if I could handle that sort of careful consistency with what I eat.

Congrats Hoosier. How long has it taken to lose the 50 pounds?

I've never really eaten breakfast. First meal is lunch. Then dinner. might have a snack later. No soda anymore, very little beer either.

I have a friend going back to my U of I days, an infrequent poster here, that turned it around as he hit 40. He used to go to the pubs in IC every weekend and then about 5 years ago he stopped drinking. Then he cut out fast food a year ago. And this summer he now counts carbs and has a daily threshold. He has lost 45 so far, down to about 235 (he's 6'0"). I am super impressed. I don't know if I would have the will power. I do workout every other day, and every day in coaching season, but I don't know if I could handle that sort of careful consistency with what I eat.
I dropped 50+ over the last year...actually I was down 45 by Dec of last year and have spent the months since keeping it off (and dropping about 5 more) which is a big accomplishment for me. Down to 215 currently. I've lost weight before only to put it right back on but this time it's stuck.

Same as OP I used a phone app - iTrackBites - though I never skip meals. Eliminated most processed foods and all junk foods. I started going to the gym a few months ago. Doing 4-5 days a week for about an hour each and the funny thing is I really don't pay a lot of attention to how much I eat anymore. I stopped counting months ago but I get on the scale every day and my weight has barely budged up or down since I started at the gym. I've built habits now that I guess prevent me from over-eating the way I used to.

I need to get back on the program and lose about 10-15 more but, at 61, it's been a life changer for me. On the down side, none of my old clothes fit any more.

Actually there has been good research into intermittent fasting which is basically what this is.
Correct on intermittent fasting, I'm well aware. I'm just saying in general the majority of people don't do fasting (the numbers will continue to rise as time goes on and it continues to become more known) compared to the traditional diet and a doctor generally would say to eat breakfast. And like I said, keep going!

I've never really eaten breakfast. First meal is lunch. Then dinner. might have a snack later. No soda anymore, very little beer either.
Yes, nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I was going at the angle of how many people think skipping meals is what will get them to lose weight and be the long-term solution.

Looking back to when I was chonky, soda was a massive piece of the puzzle for me as well.

Congrats Hoosier. Your last few sentences are the key. There are a lot of posters on this board that know a helluva lot more about nutrition than I do, but ultimately it comes down to sacrifice. Eating what you want is great when you are 20 and active. However, now at almost 44, to maintain the weight range where I am comfortable, I had to change my lifestyle, not my diet. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I lost 50 pounds a few years ago also. Myfitnesspal app is a life changer. Its amazing how tracking your calories will effect your weight. Its so easy to mindless eat and gain weight.
Yep. I use that along with Samsung S Health to track my calories burned. I like food too much to stop eating so I incorporated exercise. Tracking how much I eat tells me how much exercise I need to do. I have lost 70 pounds since February. I do try to stay away from as much added sugars as possible.

I lost 50 pounds a few years ago also. Myfitnesspal app is a life changer. Its amazing how tracking your calories will effect your weight. Its so easy to mindless eat and gain weight.

I am using an app called "lose it".

I agree with that. Thing was up until I hit about 30 I could for the most part mindlessly eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Congrats to Hoosierhawkeye.....My question is this:
How does a former ballroom dancer get this weight
up to 250 pounds? What is your height?

Congrats. I have really got fat and need to drop 50 to 60. I just need to find the will power to do so.

I am similar. I just keep under 2200 cals a day. I exercise a lot too.

It’s all about want and desire. You can do almost anything you want if you have the desire to put in the work. There is no one path to achievement. Keep it up @Hoosierhawkeye!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT