ADVERTISEMENT

Ivan Thomas commits

Nice get! Pretty excited about this commit.. does he project more as a wr or te?

Not so fast. Kid deleted his tweet. Looks like he needs to visit first.

LOL I apologize to bring negativity to the board but good lord........I will be very surprised if this kid ends up at Iowa. How awkward is that for him? I obviously don't know the whole story or every detail. But I feel bad for this kid. He committed to play football and probably told family and friends and got everyone(including himself) excited. Oh wait sorry everyone, they said I can't commit until I visit and meet coach............

Staff should've accepted the commitment and told him come on up so we can get to know you even more and see if it's where you want to be

Reactions: SotaHawk87
He probably won't even end up visiting Iowa. If the coaches really wanted him they would have accepted his commitment. With 2 WR commits already, they probably have higher targets.

Is it common to commit somewhere you haven't even visited yet?

There's multiple ways to "visit"; official, unofficial, junior day, camps, etc. I think BF meant "official", but offers have been tendered w/o the "viist" being an "official" one.

I would presume he has never been to Iowa City and/or UI in any possible way....maybe, all speculation.

"I know one thing, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship, we plan on signing you. - BF

....so long as you have visited
Brian certainly opens himself up for criticism on that one.

To be fair, the coaching staff invariably wants him to visit first in order to ensure the integrity of his commit. It's frankly in the best interest for all parties for the young man to gather the extra data (from the visit) before he truly "knows" that Iowa is the place for him.

I believe that even Colin Cole reported suffering from homesickness that almost led him to leave Iowa ... and he's one of the best DTs we've had. It's important for these young men, particularly those who aren't from the midwest, to make sure that Iowa is "for them" before they commit. Visiting is an important part of that. Furthermore, the coaches regularly put themselves out - showing patience and support for the recruits. Thus, when a recruit and their family visits ... it's truly a sign of reciprocal interest and commitment. After all the Hawks don't just want to be a place-holder for a young man until they feel like they find something better.

Staff should've accepted the commitment and told him come on up so we can get to know you even more and see if it's where you want to be

Or they should have done what they did. "We want you but come up and make sure this is where you want to be." I dont see the problem.

Not really a problem, but why wasn't this communicated to the recruit earlier? This kid obviously thought he could commit without visiting. Kind of awkward and embarrassing for all involved. Could have been easily avoided.

I'm not a big fan of guys committing without ever having visited. Too unstable for me. It happens, but it's definitely not ideal.

The kid will be a Hawk if he wants to be a Hawk. He will visit, love it and commit, or he will visit, have second thoughts and go elsewhere. If he doesn't visit at all, then he values Twiiter more than he does Iowa.

Not really a problem, but why wasn't this communicated to the recruit earlier? This kid obviously thought he could commit without visiting. Kind of awkward and embarrassing for all involved. Could have been easily avoided.

I'm not a big fan of guys committing without ever having visited. Too unstable for me. It happens, but it's definitely not ideal.

I guess im going from the view we dont know exactly what is communicated or received and when. Agree with you - not ideal. Hope he likes the visit and comes aboard!

From a Brandon Smith recruiting article. Hopefully the kid visits and likes it like Smith did.

"A scholarship offer was extended but with a twist: Smith had to visit Iowa unofficially.

“I’m thinking big receiver, big hands, good character, two-parent home, just being overlooked because of a measurable,” Bell said. “I told him, ‘I’m not going to waste my time with you, Brandon. I want you to come to Iowa, but I played this game before.’ The further away you get from Iowa City, the less realistic things are. Because you’re just selling a kid on a pipe dream on what Iowa City is. They need to see it for themselves for it to become reality. That’s the sales pitch.”"

Copeland is going to be a great recruiter for Iowa
Also a pretty stupid policy and could cost them recruits like it might in this instance. I can understand wanting the kid to visit but you offered so accept his commit and get him on campus as soon as you can

Reactions: DaCDiggity
Copeland is going to be a great recruiter for Iowa
Also a pretty stupid policy and could cost them recruits like it might in this instance. I can understand wanting the kid to visit but you offered so accept his commit and get him on campus as soon as you can
I disagree. I don't think you want some committing before visiting then changing their minds later after visiting. It doesn't look good for either party.

Nice get! Pretty excited about this commit.. does he project more as a wr or te?

One of the articles quoted him as saying Copeland said they'd use him as an H-Back and move him around. WR/TE hybrid? He is a big body.

I disagree. I don't think you want some committing before visiting then changing their minds later after visiting. It doesn't look good for either party.

Well if Iowa would change their mind after he visited then they shouldn't have offered. You have Brian Ferentz going around saying our word is our bond, we offer and we mean it, etc. etc. and they don't let the kid commit when the supposedly offered. Made him look a fool.

Looks like a good, big and strong target. Really know how to get up and high point the ball. I don't remember receiver highlight videos showing corners getting pancaked but I appreciated it.

Hope he ends up as a Hawk!

"I know one thing, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship, we plan on signing you. - BF

....so long as you have visited

Iowa absolutely plans on signing him. Nothing contradictory here. He is visiting in a couple weeks and should commit then.

So they're saying Iowa's recruiting policies are clear as mud!

They allowed Max to commit late in the process because they had WR committed and they desperately needed to get more WR in the class. This is a completely different situation.

Iowa absolutely plans on signing him. Nothing contradictory here. He is visiting in a couple weeks and should commit then.

They allowed Max to commit late in the process because they had WR committed and they desperately needed to get more WR in the class. This is a completely different situation.

So it's ok for the white guy to commit without visiting is what you are saying?

Reactions: SotaHawk87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT