ADVERTISEMENT

Ivan Thomas commits

Well if Iowa would change their mind after he visited then they shouldn't have offered. You have Brian Ferentz going around saying our word is our bond, we offer and we mean it, etc. etc. and they don't let the kid commit when the supposedly offered. Made him look a fool.
Because they want him to be 100% sure thus they want him to visit the facilities, coaches, school and community before committing. They don't want him to either de-commit after visiting or leaving school because he didn't visit and know what it's like. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Actually it is contradictory.
"I know one thing, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship, we plan on signing you. - BF

Iowa still plans on signing him. Nothing contradictory. They want him to visit the campus he is going to spend 4-5 years of his life at before they accept his commitment. Iowa hasn't stopped recruiting him. Iowa is holding out for a higher ranked WR to take his spot. Iowa still plans on signing him. Did I mention Iowa still plans on signing him? Just as BF was quoted.

"I know one thing, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship, we plan on signing you. - BF

Iowa still plans on signing him. Nothing contradictory. They want him to visit the campus he is going to spend 4-5 years of his life at before they accept his commitment. Iowa hasn't stopped recruiting him. Iowa is holding out for a higher ranked WR to take his spot. Iowa still plans on signing him. Did I mention Iowa still plans on signing him? Just as BF was quoted.

Yes it is. They won't let him commit until he visits. He isn't going to sign if he doesn't visit. There is no conditional part of BF's statement. It is we offer we will sign you. It wasn't we offer and you take a visit before you commit, then we will sign you. This is why he should have probably been a little more careful with is words.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
Because they want him to be 100% sure thus they want him to visit the facilities, coaches, school and community before committing. They don't want him to either de-commit after visiting or leaving school because he didn't visit and know what it's like. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

You just said that Iowa could change their mind.
I know they want the kid to be sure but tell what the conditions are and you won't make yourself look bad and make the kid feel like an idiot.

Why bring race into this when it has nothing to do with it and the person you quoted didn't say anything about it?

Max Cooper is white and from Wisconsin. Thomas is black and from the Florida. They obviously don't trust kids to make sound decisions that aren't white and aren't from the Midwest. Sad.

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend
So it's ok for the white guy to commit without visiting is what you are saying?
No, the implication would be that ANY kid from the Midwest (who would know what to expect from Iowa) who demonstrated the requisite skill set and character would have been able to commit without visiting that late in the game.

However, I don't think just anywhere in the Midwest would do the trick though - because we've had issues with guys from Ohio and Michigan who expected that they'd start right away. Thus, for guys who are a bit more on the periphery - I'd think that they'd be encouraged to visit too.

However, another element is desperation (on Iowa's part) - sometimes we're so thin at a position ... that if we get a commit from a guy that late in the game, we don't need to retain the kid's commitment for that much longer. It's primarily when a guy commits really early - you want to retain those commitments, so you want to make sure that they're really ready.

Thus, to summarize, I believe that their encouragement of visits is two-fold - they want to retain commits during the long recruiting season AND they want to retain players after the guy has hit campus too.

No, the implication would be that ANY kid from the Midwest (who would know what to expect from Iowa) who demonstrated the requisite skill set and character would have been able to commit without visiting that late in the game.

However, I don't think just anywhere in the Midwest would do the trick though - because we've had issues with guys from Ohio and Michigan who expected that they'd start right away. Thus, for guys who are a bit more on the periphery - I'd think that they'd be encouraged to visit too.

However, another element is desperation (on Iowa's part) - sometimes we're so thin at a position ... that if we get a commit from a guy that late in the game, we don't need to retain the kid's commitment for that much longer. It's primarily when a guy commits really early - you want to retain those commitments, so you want to make sure that they're really ready.

Thus, to summarize, I believe that their encouragement of visits is two-fold - they want to retain commits during the long recruiting season AND they want to retain players after the guy has hit campus too.

I agree. I was just messing with people.

Max Cooper is white and from Wisconsin. Thomas is black and from the Florida. They obviously don't trust kids to make sound decisions that aren't white and aren't from the Midwest. Sad.
Sorry man, that's a pretty gross mischaracterization. Ferentz has an exemplary record as it relates to interacting with his players - from all ethnicities and religions.

I agree. I was just messing with people.
The sad thing is that some folks might actually believe your comments. Hence, my counters. Of course, if Ferentz had set a precedent that wasn't exemplary in that regard - then my position wouldn't be defensible.

There are many programs out there that dictate to their players what classes they can take - things are so regimented that the coaches are treating the players like livestock as much as people. I really respect that Ferentz really encourages players to be smart, to excel in academics, and to major in whatever field they want to.

Last edited:
Yes it is. They won't let him commit until he visits. He isn't going to sign if he doesn't visit. There is no conditional part of BF's statement. It is we offer we will sign you. It wasn't we offer and you take a visit before you commit, then we will sign you. This is why he should have probably been a little more careful with is words.
He can't sign until February. Iowa has every intention of accepting his faxed LOI at that time. BF said nothing about the process of committing.

He can't sign until February. Iowa has every intention of accepting his faxed LOI at that time. BF said nothing about the process of committing.
Brian said " .... we intend to take your commitment." Thus, BF really does open himself up for some fair criticism. That is, if we wish to nitpick on the details of every word that he said.

Of course, suppose we instead focus on the spirit of what he said. What Brian effectively is saying is that if the Hawks offer a guy - then that means that they like the guy enough to have the guy on the team. The Hawks aren't intent on stringing a guy along until they find a "better" talent to fill their scholarship distribution.

In the case of Ivan Thomas, why do the Hawks want him to visit first before he commits? Are they using it as a stall-tactic? Or do they want him to show enough reciprocal effort/interest to come out and visit (to make sure that he's serious about his commitment)? Or do they want him to make sure that he knows more about Iowa before committing? My guess is that the intention relates far more with the latter two motives - rather than the former, cynical, motive.

It's great that we're getting WR talent...but at some point don't we have to think about balance? Loading 8-9 WRs into two classes might be a bit heavy.

Before one of you knee jerks with the predictable "first you complain about NOT getting WR talent, now you complain that we're getting TOO MUCH"...it is a legitimate question. We've seen a few prior years where the feast or famine pattern has hurt us.

Might some of our signees and/or targets be candidates for conversion to DBack?

In the case of Ivan Thomas, why do the Hawks want him to visit first before he commits? Are they using it as a stall-tactic? Or do they want him to show enough reciprocal effort/interest to come out and visit (to make sure that he's serious about his commitment)? Or do they want him to make sure that he knows more about Iowa before committing? My guess is that the intention relates far more with the latter two motives - rather than the former, cynical, motive.

I don't think they're immune from using the first tactic from time to time. But I also get the feeling that it's generally the latter two, with the intention of preventing a placeholder type commitment.

It's great that we're getting WR talent...but at some point don't we have to think about balance? Loading 8-9 WRs into two classes might be a bit heavy.

Before one of you knee jerks with the predictable "first you complain about NOT getting WR talent, now you complain that we're getting TOO MUCH"...it is a legitimate question. We've seen a few prior years where the feast or famine pattern has hurt us.

Might some of our signees and/or targets be candidates for conversion to DBack?
I believe that the coaches understand that the "Iowa way" already acts as a natural filter. Thus, if we get a bunch of guys - presumably number of them will prove good enough to start. Some of them will be good enough to contribute as back-ups and others will good enough to contribute at other positions (after position-moves). However, some will leave due to attrition.

Right now the Hawks can advertise the attractive commodity of opportunity. Thus, they're striking while the iron is hot.

Last year, in the case of a guy like Creamer - he's a versatile guy, he can fit at multiple positions. Similarly, this year, if you look at either Evans or Tracy - both guys are versatile athletes who project at multiple positions. If you look at Ivan Thomas - he's a guy who could play H-back, TE, or WR ... depending on speed and development.

Why can Iowa seemingly offer so much opportunity at WR? Obviously we only have 3 scholarship WRs on the roster right now - and 1 of them is graduating. Furthermore, neither of the other 2 even has a career catch. Even with 4 "definite" WR commits from 2017 - that recruiting group will invariably get staggered. Furthermore, among the 2018 group, some will likely play as freshman ... others will redshirt too. Thus, we'll still effectively be seeing those guys distributed between 3 years in terms of eligibility.

Brian said " .... we intend to take your commitment." Thus, BF really does open himself up for some fair criticism. That is, if we wish to nitpick on the details of every word that he said.

Of course, suppose we instead focus on the spirit of what he said. What Brian effectively is saying is that if the Hawks offer a guy - then that means that they like the guy enough to have the guy on the team. The Hawks aren't intent on stringing a guy along until they find a "better" talent to fill their scholarship distribution.

Here is the full quote: “I can tell you this much, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship and you commit to us, we intend to sign you and we intend to take your commitment. I think you have to look no further than in-state to see there were a lot of offers that went out in the 2018 class very early out of Ames. And I’m not sure all of those guys were able to commit to them if they wanted to, because some of those guys have since gone other places.”

He is specifically referencing the recruitment of Cedar Rapids OL Andrew Todd, without specifically mentioning him of course. Todd was offered by ISU but committed to Miami (OH). Allegedly the offer from ISU was not really an offer and why Todd committed to the Red Hawks and not the Cyclones.

The case with wanting Thomas to visit before he commits protects Thomas as much as it does Iowa. If he is committed to Iowa, some schools might not recruit him leaving him with possibly less options. What if he ends up coming up to Iowa City and not liking it? Iowa is still recruiting Thomas. Iowa will take his commitment, probably on his upcoming visit. Iowa intends to sign Thomas. Iowa just want to make sure both sides have done their homework before sealing the deal.

People can spin it as contradictory and hypocritical but if you take the quote in context, or the spirit of the quote as you said, there is nothing contradictory or hypocritical about it.

So it's ok for the white guy to commit without visiting is what you are saying?
Cmon David, your actually saying this is a white/black thing? Whether they did it out of need last year or not, your not actually going to say that Iowa has different recruiting guidelines based on skin color are you? There are enough idiots running around playing the race card, for no reason to drop that type of ticking time bomb into the forum.

People can spin it as contradictory and hypocritical but if you take the quote in context, or the spirit of the quote as you said, there is nothing contradictory or hypocritical about it.
The problem is that there are plenty of literalists out there who will pick at what he said simply for how he said it. Furthermore, there are others who are trolls who simply want to flame. There are others who are staunchly anti-Ferentz, thus they'll use any ammo they can to undercut him.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Well if Iowa would change their mind after he visited then they shouldn't have offered. You have Brian Ferentz going around saying our word is our bond, we offer and we mean it, etc. etc. and they don't let the kid commit when the supposedly offered. Made him look a fool.

Bitch , bitch , bitch. At least if you're going to bitch about Brian Ferentz, get his words correct. He didn't say "our word is our bond," nor did he say "we offer we mean it." He said "if a kid commits to Iowa, we intend to sign him," How is what happened with this kid different from that statement? What he's been asked to do falls perfectly within that parameter. Geez. You get outta bed hating on this coaching staff. How does it feel to be that miserable all the time?

Bitch , bitch , bitch. At least if you're going to bitch about Brian Ferentz, get his words correct. He didn't say "our word is our bond," nor did he say "we offer we mean it." He said "if a kid commits to Iowa, we intend to sign him," How is what happened with this kid different from that statement? What he's been asked to do falls perfectly within that parameter. Geez. You get outta bed hating on this coaching staff. How does it feel to be that miserable all the time?

If you don't get it, that is a you problem. And I don't hate the coaching staff. I love BF actually, just thought he left himself open to criticism with his statements. I like the bravado but you better make sure that you don't do anything that makes you look hypocritical. Which they did.

If you don't get it, that is a you problem. And I don't hate the coaching staff. I love BF actually, just thought he left himself open to criticism with his statements. I like the bravado but you better make sure that you don't do anything that makes you look hypocritical. Which they did.

No they didnt

Same size as Smith wr spot should b solid in yrs to come 2 big position guys and ihmir's speed nice

No they didnt

yes they did. If you don't understand that, I assume it is either because you lack some kind of comprehension skill or because you are just a blind loyalist who thinks that they staff poops diamonds.

yes they did. If you don't understand that, I assume it is either because you lack some kind of comprehension skill or because you are just a blind loyalist who thinks that they staff poops diamonds.

Stop with the insults -especially since you are expressing an opinion- thats weak. Neither you nor anyone else were privy to the conversations between the recruit and the staff. The recruit is excited about the offer - the staff wants to have all the cards on the table - they did not pull the offer. There is zero wrong with either side here and it is not a hypocritical situation. Yeah this is my opinion. See how that works?

Stop with the insults -especially since you are expressing an opinion- thats weak. Neither you nor anyone else were privy to the conversations between the recruit and the staff. The recruit is excited about the offer - the staff wants to have all the cards on the table - they did not pull the offer. There is zero wrong with either side here and it is not a hypocritical situation. Yeah this is my opinion. See how that works?

Wrong

That you wont stop insulting people with your gibberish? Ok. Again all you have done in this thread is express an opinion and individual interpretation. Your view - others disagree - stop trying to pass it on like you know something or are an authority - its neither. Its clear you have an agenda - you continue to show an undercurrent of disdain for the staff in this thread despite your weak denial. But if you want to continue the insults you do need practice so keep going.

This thread quickly became mentally exhausting ... Not rocket science here: Iowa wants him to visit the campus and then make his decision.

Man you're not kidding... every time I see a 2 or 3 page thread, I think it's going to have some good info, but quickly realize it's just the same 3 or 4 dudes pissing on each other...
But yeah I agree, nothing more to it other than them wanting him to visit first.

Agree 100%.

Here is the full quote: “I can tell you this much, if the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship and you commit to us, we intend to sign you and we intend to take your commitment. I think you have to look no further than in-state to see there were a lot of offers that went out in the 2018 class very early out of Ames. And I’m not sure all of those guys were able to commit to them if they wanted to, because some of those guys have since gone other places.”

He is specifically referencing the recruitment of Cedar Rapids OL Andrew Todd, without specifically mentioning him of course. Todd was offered by ISU but committed to Miami (OH). Allegedly the offer from ISU was not really an offer and why Todd committed to the Red Hawks and not the Cyclones.

The case with wanting Thomas to visit before he commits protects Thomas as much as it does Iowa. If he is committed to Iowa, some schools might not recruit him leaving him with possibly less options. What if he ends up coming up to Iowa City and not liking it? Iowa is still recruiting Thomas. Iowa will take his commitment, probably on his upcoming visit. Iowa intends to sign Thomas. Iowa just want to make sure both sides have done their homework before sealing the deal.

This guy wanted to commit to Iowa and was not able to.

That's fine... no problem with the policy of no committing without visiting. BUT, if you are going to take shots at others, then do the same thing, it is hypocritical.

Has Iowa ever taken a commitment from a guy before he visited? Honest question. If so, they were slow playing this guy. Doing exactly the same thing BF is dissing others for doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT