ADVERTISEMENT

I've always been an old movie buff and finished a good book

rchawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Chicago, Illinois
The Sewing Circle by Axel Madsen, copyright 1995. It is about lesbian stars in the Golden Age of Hollywood, from when the talkies started in the late 1920s to the early 1950s.

As you might imagine, gay women kept it under wraps in those days. If one came out and said "I prefer women" sexually she would never work for MGM or Warner Brothers or Paramount or RKO again. Why? It was a sexually repressed era with a Depression going on. The people who buy tickets to see the movies want to escape, they don't want to see two chicks getting it on (more popular today)!

The arts seem to draw the gay folk, actors are good at acting, including being not gay for a movie and with reporters.

Nice photo of a topless Greta Garbo. Tallulah Bankhead was hot. I can't believe I never realized Barbara Stanwyck was gay. Paul Lynde referred to Agnes Moorehead as "classy, but one of the all-time Hollywood dykes."

Of course there were just as many gay males in Hollywood. Maybe more. Some of them married gay women so the movie-going public would think they were straight.

It's a good book.

Yeah, that book doesn't have a real good reputation. Though some of those actresses were probably bi-sexual much of the book (from what I have read) is based only on rumors. And I hate tell all books that wait until their subjects are dead so that they have no chance to defend themselves!
For example, Stanwyck was married a couple of times and had an affair with a much younger Robert Wagner. Doubt she was gay.
Some say that Agnes Moorehead was so religious as to be "asexual".
But it does sound like an interesting read.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT