ADVERTISEMENT

I've been holding back on saying this about Keegan, but after seeing him in person for a few times....

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
...I'm ready to say that he is right now, today, one of the best Hawkeye basketball players I've seen play for Iowa since I started paying attention, which was the 1964 season. And I have seen some good ones. He is in that same class of player that Ronnie Lester was, and I seldom say that about a player. But its true. This guy is a player that see's what needs to be done on ev ery trip, and then he does it...and he makes it appear effortlessly. He is so smooth that to call him a natural would be damning him with faint praise.

Friends, I think we are very likely to be in a position of havi/ng back to back players of the year. Keegan is a different type of player than Luka was, but he can be just as dominate in his own way. He never showboats, he never makes himself the center of attention, he just plays basketball. That is all he does, and that is all he needs to do.

If someone forced me to make my lifetime all Hawkeye team I guess that without a doubt in my mind Keegan would be on it. He has pushed so many other great Hawks aside in my mind. My starting five now would have to be...

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

On the bench would set Roy Marble, Fred Brown, Kevin Gamble, Ed Horton, Andre Woolridge, Sam Williams, Acie Earl.

Think af all the names not on that list that were killers.

I like his game and his stoic demeanor on the court, but I will reserve placing him in the top 5 until he has played the whole season as “the Man.”

in selecting the top five, don’t forget to give consideration to some greats from the past like Maury Wier, Carl Cain, Don Nelson, etc.

I like his game and his stoic demeanor on the court, but I will reserve placing him in the top 5 until he has played the whole season as “the Man.”

in selecting the top five, don’t forget to give consideration to some greats from the past like Maury Wier, Carl Cain, Don Nelson, etc.
I only picked from the era I witnessed in person. As far as Keegan goes I'm very confident he is a all-time great Hawkeye now, and I think you will agree with me at the end of this very season.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
I only picked from the era I witnessed in person. As far as Keegan goes I'm very confident he is a all-time great Hawkeye now, and I think you will agree with me at the end of this very season.
Ronnie took an okay team, with a great coach, a long way.
Keegan will be lucky to lead this team to nine conference wins based on his coach alone.
Nine w's should merit him NPOY calls if he keeps scoring like he does.

Fran's detestable defense holds everything down.

Keegan will be lucky to lead this team to nine conference wins based on his coach alone.

Fran did recognize Keegan's potential when few other coaches did...

...I'm ready to say that he is right now, today, one of the best Hawkeye basketball players I've seen play for Iowa since I started paying attention, which was the 1964 season. And I have seen some good ones. He is in that same class of player that Ronnie Lester was, and I seldom say that about a player. But its true. This guy is a player that see's what needs to be done on ev ery trip, and then he does it...and he makes it appear effortlessly. He is so smooth that to call him a natural would be damning him with faint praise.

Friends, I think we are very likely to be in a position of havi/ng back to back players of the year. Keegan is a different type of player than Luka was, but he can be just as dominate in his own way. He never showboats, he never makes himself the center of attention, he just plays basketball. That is all he does, and that is all he needs to do.

If someone forced me to make my lifetime all Hawkeye team I guess that without a doubt in my mind Keegan would be on it. He has pushed so many other great Hawks aside in my mind. My starting five now would have to be...

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

On the bench would set Roy Marble, Fred Brown, Kevin Gamble, Ed Horton, Andre Woolridge, Sam Williams, Acie Earl.

I didn't really watch Hawkeye basketball during the ronnie lester/BJ armstrong years, so the all time greatest Hawkeye basketball player in my eyes is Andre Wooldridge. No disrespect to Luka or Keegan but Woolridge was just a dominant point guard and could get a shot anytime he wanted. I still can't believe he didn't win Big 10 player of the year or make the NBA.

I think you are right. I think White and Weiscamp should be on the list too.
No way Weezy makes this list. He spent more time on the ground than any player I've ever seen. He was weak and couldn't take over a game. Aaron White on the other hand was a 3 point shot away from being one of the best players in the country

Last edited:
I didn't really watch Hawkeye basketball during the ronnie lester/BJ armstrong years, so the all time greatest Hawkeye basketball player in my eyes is Andre Wooldridge. No disrespect to Luka or Keegan but Woolridge was just a dominant point guard and could get a shot anytime he wanted. I still can't believe he didn't win Big 10 player of the year or make the NBA.
We’re nitpicking here but a strong case could be made for Freddie Brown over BJ as well.

Let’s not kid anyone, Ronnie had a much better supporting cast than Keegan has right now. They managed to make the NCAAs without him playing most of the Big seaso, when it was much harder to do so. Bobby Hansen has a long NBA career and Steve Krafcisin was a transfer from North Carolina. Vinny Brrokins and Kenny Arnold were both All Big type players in their careers. I think Kevin Boyle was on the All freshmen team. That team was talente. And Ronnie is my favorite hawk of all time.

Did I miss the part about Chris Street? He was probably the best Iowa Hawkeye I ever saw play. Just a beast.
I think if your doing it by position maybe. I love Chris Street, and he's one on the best power forwards to ever play at Iowa, and would certainly have played in the league for awhile. Keegan is the smoothest 6'9 guy whose ever worn the black and gold. He glides and makes it look effortless. I think by the end of this year Keegan will have that 4 spot wrapped up.

I started thinking the same as Bean about halfway through the first half when he had that pretty fade away on the baseline. Effortless, great technique. I see flashes of it in Kris, but he appears to be a year behind. Maybe not the same caliber, but definitely has game.

If things keep going the way they are he projects to be the first top 10 draft pick in 40 years since Ronnie Lester went #10 in '80.

Reactions: Torg

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

Your list is missing Kenyon Murray and Devyn Marble….

I’m kidding, but come on - 2 father/son duos on the all-time team? No brainer

How did in the world did he fly under the radar in recruiting??
Only one offer, is that correct?
Was it a given he was going to Iowa because of Kenyon so no one bothered?

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

I saw all those guys. I like your picks but would put Freddy ahead of bj Armstrong. Ronnie and Keegan are very close. If Keegan stays ,he would likely pass Ronnie as the goat.

Keegan was good last year and he's great this year (so far) but I wouldn't call him the greatest since 1964. He is a great player and may even be a top 10 pick, but I'll need to wait to see how the season progresses.

Reactions: unclesammy
I think if your doing it by position maybe. I love Chris Street, and he's one on the best power forwards to ever play at Iowa, and would certainly have played in the league for awhile. Keegan is the smoothest 6'9 guy whose ever worn the black and gold. He glides and makes it look effortless. I think by the end of this year Keegan will have that 4 spot wrapped up.
Chris Street was the talk of NCAA basketball prior to his death. He most likely would have been THE # 1 pick in the draft.

IMO, Keegan has long way to go to be a Street type player.

Keegan was good last year and he's great this year (so far) but I wouldn't call him the greatest since 1964. He is a great player and may even be a top 10 pick, but I'll need to wait to see how the season progresses.

What if he leads the Hawkeyes to a national championship??

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

Chris Street should be on the list

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I said earlier I wanted to see him against the Big Ten slate before he is anointed as player-of-the-year. But he does look ready to move to the next level. I admit that I didn’t say that earlier. On the other hand Kris needs another year or two.

If we are taking recent hawks, I would select Devyn Marble over both of them. But I will not put any of the three with the others listed in OP.
A point guard with his height is difficult to stop. I felt like he got to a point he could nearly score at will. Marble is very underrated and maybe a step to slow for a guard in the NBA which is why he never really stuck.

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

I agree. He’s arguably the best player in the country and he looks like he’s just coasting through. He’s amazing. My lifetime all-Hawk team (started paying attention after the Final Four season) would be Garza, Murray, Armstrong, Street and Hansen, probably. Pre-back injury Settles would be pretty high on the list too, in the 2nd unit with Horton, Earl, Woolridge and Roy Marble.

Reactions: Viking1491
Woolridge was a great player but not on the same level as Lester. Ronnie was the best point guard to ever play at Iowa.

Chris Street was the talk of NCAA basketball prior to his death. He most likely would have been THE # 1 pick in the draft.

IMO, Keegan has long way to go to be a Street type player.
Look I loved #40 as well, but A) he would not have been the #1 pick and B). Keegan is a WAY more versatile scorer then Chris ever was. I don't remember Chris scoring from the perimeter like KM does and I've seen few 6'9" guys who can rip and run the floor and finish like Keegan. Yes NBA people were talking about Chris after he'd started for a couple of years. This offseason NBA folks were drooling over a guy who'd NEVER even started a game in college. The kids special, I mean REALLY special.....

Iowa has had no one with the complete skill set of Keegan since I started watching in the 70s.

Above the rim....check
Great handles.....check
Fearless rebounder....check
Improving 3 point shooter....check
Shot blocker ....check
Relentless defender .....check
Intermediate game .....check

No single Hawkeye has had that combination of skills. Too bad Weiskamp and Nunge didnt come back as Seniors.

Joe T
Joe W
Perkins
Keegan
Nunge

Would have been a top 5 team, even with Fran coaching.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
I think Marble was better than BJ Armstrong when they played at Iowa, but BJ had a better pro career.

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

My concern is that where would this team be without him this season.

Reactions: Suterman

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

Not hyperbole to put him on the same list as Ronnie, BJ and JJ. I think Lester was the highest Hawkeye drafted of that group. Keegan could challenge that.

Enjoy watching him play folks. He will have bad games, he's not an automatic 35 every game, no one is. But a great player and he's on the team we cheer for. Appreciate it.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
Not hyperbole to put him on the same list as Ronnie, BJ and JJ. I think Lester was the highest Hawkeye drafted of that group. Keegan could challenge that.

Enjoy watching him play folks. He will have bad games, he's not an automatic 35 every game, no one is. But a great player and he's on the team we cheer for. Appreciate it.
Fred Brown was Iowa's highest draft pick. He was drafted 6th, then JJ at 7th, Chuck Darling way back in 1950 something at 9th, and Lester at 10.

Fred Brown was Iowa's highest draft pick. He was drafted 6th, then JJ at 7th, Chuck Darling way back in 1950 something at 9th, and Lester at 10.
Thank you sir. Those who are too young to remember JJ or Brown playing for the Hawks or Sonics in the NBA really missed out. Tremendous players. Brown played before the 3-point line, both of them were something else.

ADVERTISEMENT