ADVERTISEMENT

I've been holding back on saying this about Keegan, but after seeing him in person for a few times....

I think Marble was better than BJ Armstrong when they played at Iowa, but BJ had a better pro career.
For sure. BJ was a cog on an NBA champ, and Roy wasted his shot in a few months in the league.... :(

...I'm ready to say that he is right now, today, one of the best Hawkeye basketball players I've seen play for Iowa since I started paying attention, which was the 1964 season. And I have seen some good ones. He is in that same class of player that Ronnie Lester was, and I seldom say that about a player. But its true. This guy is a player that see's what needs to be done on ev ery trip, and then he does it...and he makes it appear effortlessly. He is so smooth that to call him a natural would be damning him with faint praise.

Friends, I think we are very likely to be in a position of havi/ng back to back players of the year. Keegan is a different type of player than Luka was, but he can be just as dominate in his own way. He never showboats, he never makes himself the center of attention, he just plays basketball. That is all he does, and that is all he needs to do.

If someone forced me to make my lifetime all Hawkeye team I guess that without a doubt in my mind Keegan would be on it. He has pushed so many other great Hawks aside in my mind. My starting five now would have to be...

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

On the bench would set Roy Marble, Fred Brown, Kevin Gamble, Ed Horton, Andre Woolridge, Sam Williams, Acie Earl.

Think af all the names not on that list that were killers.
I like your list as Ronnie Lester is my all-time favorite Hawkeye. The only issue I have is I would have put Kevin Kunnert or Bruce "Sky" King on it instead of Kevin Gamble. Gamble had a better pro career but Kunnert and King probably better college careers.

I like your list as Ronnie Lester is my all-time favorite Hawkeye. The only issue I have is I would have put Kevin Kunnert or Bruce "Sky" King on it instead of Kevin Gamble. Gamble had a better pro career but Kunnert and King probably better college careers.
Both would have been good choices and I considered both, but in the end I came to different conclusions.

Ronnie took an okay team, with a great coach, a long way.
Keegan will be lucky to lead this team to nine conference wins based on his coach alone.
Nine w's should merit him NPOY calls if he keeps scoring like he does.

Fran's detestable defense holds everything down.
And some head scratching combinations on the court at times. Or, watching Illinois annihilate us the boards as JO sat with his butt glued to the bench.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Gamble hit some key shots, was solid in all phases, but he definitely got better in the NBA. I couldn’t leave him out, but he wouldn’t get starters minutes.

Ronnie
Downtown
Garza
J. J.
Keegan if he finishes the year like the first third.

Last edited:
I can see Chris being as smooth as Kegan given him more playing time to get used to the speed.

...I'm ready to say that he is right now, today, one of the best Hawkeye basketball players I've seen play for Iowa since I started paying attention, which was the 1964 season. And I have seen some good ones. He is in that same class of player that Ronnie Lester was, and I seldom say that about a player. But its true. This guy is a player that see's what needs to be done on ev ery trip, and then he does it...and he makes it appear effortlessly. He is so smooth that to call him a natural would be damning him with faint praise.

Friends, I think we are very likely to be in a position of havi/ng back to back players of the year. Keegan is a different type of player than Luka was, but he can be just as dominate in his own way. He never showboats, he never makes himself the center of attention, he just plays basketball. That is all he does, and that is all he needs to do.

If someone forced me to make my lifetime all Hawkeye team I guess that without a doubt in my mind Keegan would be on it. He has pushed so many other great Hawks aside in my mind. My starting five now would have to be...

Luka Garza
John Johnson
Keegan Murray
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong

On the bench would set Roy Marble, Fred Brown, Kevin Gamble, Ed Horton, Andre Woolridge, Sam Williams, Acie Earl.

Think af all the names not on that list that were killers.
I think you gotta have Greg Stokes in there somewhere. His turnaround jumper/half hook was so smooth, consistent, and deadly:)

Reactions: hwk23
Back to back NATIONAL players of the year, or Big Ten?

Team not good enough for the former,

Woolridge
Haluska
Uthoff
Evans
Earl

im only 40, but this is the answer to who would be starting in the last 40 years.

Armstrong, Marble, Murray, Street and Garza coming off the bench.

1) Fred Brown
Ronnie Lester
John Johnson
Sam Williams
Don Nelson

2) BJ Armstrong
Andre Woolridge
Greg Stokes
Luka Garza
Carl Cain

Gamble hit some key shots, was solid in all phases, but he definitely got better in the NBA. I couldn’t leave him out, but he wouldn’t get starters minutes.

Ronnie
Downtown
Garza
J. J.
Keegan if he finishes the year like the first
This. Johnson and Brown both 1st round picks and we’re studs in the NBA as well. Now we have no idea what Keegan will do in the league but he’s going to carry a pretty mediocre roster to the tournament and lead the country in scoring and be a 1st team all American. Guy is a total stud.

Reactions: NI hawk
Iowa really has to beat a few teams they are "not supposed" to. At Ohio St. maybe? At a Michigan St. also.
Iowa doesn't play at Michigan St so that's going to make that a lot more difficult. Beating them at home would still be a pretty good win.

No way Weezy makes this list. He spent more time on the ground than any player I've ever seen. He was weak and couldn't take over a game. Aaron White on the other hand was a 3 point shot away from being one of the best players in the country
White shot the 3 ok his senior year. Pretty similar to Keegan. Weezy had a solid career and trending nicely professionally. He was never going to be a Batman. Robin was always his destiny and that is A-okay

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
ADVERTISEMENT