ADVERTISEMENT

"I've never been to another Big Ten arena when it's been as LOUD as it gets in Carver."

Because wrestling, watch for the next 2 months, will regularly put 15,000 in the seats with the upcoming schedule. Basketball, how often does that happen? Not much with fran.

Yeah, for one season due to a great schedule.

Iowa has lead the country in attendance for 13 seasons. The average is nowhere near 12k.

It’s time for a new basketball arena. Field house style with bars & restaurants surrounding it. Make it 12k. Wrestling can continue to use CHA. No more 25 foot run ways behind each basket and the stands.
I like this idea. If a new arena is built, make it a updated replica of the classic old arenas. The New Palestra, so to speak, only larger, better designed, with modern accents and accommodations. A modern arena with a mid 20th century aura.

The Pentagon was built in Sioux Falls about 10 years ago with this concept in mind. With more money and better architects, Iowa would stand out as a unique and classic venue.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I like this idea. If a new arena is built, make it a updated replica of the classic old arenas. The New Palestra, so to speak, only larger, better designed, with modern accents and accommodations. A modern arena with a mid 20th century aura.

The Pentagon was built in Sioux Falls about 10 years ago with this concept in mind. With more money and better architects, Iowa would stand out as a unique and classic venue.

Agree 100%

then why wouldn’t wrestling move to the proposed new arena?
Because like said before, since you cant read, they put 15,000 in the seats when they have a good opponent. Basketball doesnt do that but once in a blue moon because the team is never good enough. And as another poster said wrestling fans love Carver.

Because like said before, since you cant read, they put 15,000 in the seats when they have a good opponent. Basketball doesnt do that but once in a blue moon because the team is never good enough. And as another poster said wrestling fans love Carver.

you think that wrestling puts 15k in the seats more than basketball?

You do realize basketball attendance is higher than wrestling on average right?

You do realize basketball attendance is higher than wrestling on average right?

no, he doesn’t. He doesn’t know anything evidently.

He claims that Iowa fans won’t come to Carver because the product is mediocre, but he claims that they will come to a new arena. OK. Sure.

Why would wrestling not use the new arena?

One aspect of Carver that basketball fans don't like is the excessive unused space surrounding the court and the distance that this pushes seating back away from the action,... This is the result of the floor being sized to hold up to three wrestling mats,... What works for one situation, potentially hampers another...

Dude, werent we just a near sellout vs Kennesaw state over Xmas break? Yeah, wrestling may pack it in vs elite opponents (just like bball) but your average meet looks more like a women's bball game

And no idea why OP referenced article where Carver was half full for women's gm while calling out men's fans. How bout we see what it's like with students back and top 25 ranking first.

If Iowa played consistently solid bball over last decade we wouldn't be talking about this. The pricing strategy and not selling beer don't help

Dude, werent we just a near sellout vs Kennesaw state over Xmas break? Yeah, wrestling may pack it in vs elite opponents (just like bball) but your average meet looks more like a women's bball game

And no idea why OP referenced article where Carver was half full for women's gm while calling out men's fans. How bout we see what it's like with students back and top 25 ranking first.

If Iowa played consistently solid bball over last decade we wouldn't be talking about this. The pricing strategy and not selling beer don't help

I believe the point of the original post and article was that CHA can be a loud a rockin' environment with the right people in it...i.e. engaged fans. The 7500 at the women's game made more noise and created a better home environment than a typical larger crowd at MBB games.

I was at that game as well. Iowa was #1 and Indiana #2 in the country if I recall correctly. The game was much closer than the final score indicates.

Absolutely the most electric atmosphere & exciting game I’ve ever attended at Carver.

I agree. It was loud from start to finish. I had to work and arrived just as the game started. It was so loud it made my head hurt. With the right product and promotion it could be that way again. Fran doesn't seem to promote like previous coaches (except Lick). Should bring back the Gold and Black Blowout in the preseason.

This is the best way to describe the situation. Carver was not built for a home court advantage, it was built for comfort and sight lines. In the end, it still comes down to the fans that show up and the teams that are on the floor.
But there is a home court advantage for women's basketball.

There is is home court advantage for men's basketball, too, when people show up. That's that problem. Students and the general public are not showing up.

Some people say it's the product. Well, "the product" has been pretty good over the last couple years.

It's not an arena problem. It's a fan problem and fans (students, adults, etc) are staying home and at best watching on their TVs.

Reactions: Hawk24
But there is a home court advantage for women's basketball.

There is is home court advantage for men's basketball, too, when people show up. That's that problem. Students and the general public are not showing up.

Some people say it's the product. Well, "the product" has been pretty good over the last couple years.

It's not an arena problem. It's a fan problem and fans (students, adults, etc) are staying home and at best watching on their TVs.

I agree with a lot of this- the product has been better than average over the last couple of years. So the two areas you can blame are fans, and the people that in charge of getting fans there- the athletic department. The other night for example...there is no reason on God's green earth with the weather situation that you couldn't have let the students in for free. The UI needs to get more creative and also be willing to lessen the perceived value of their tickets. You will get some of this in FB as well going forward as the trend in college sports and attendance isn't good.

I agree with a lot of this- the product has been better than average over the last couple of years. So the two areas you can blame are fans, and the people that in charge of getting fans there- the athletic department. The other night for example...there is no reason on God's green earth with the weather situation that you couldn't have let the students in for free. The UI needs to get more creative and also be willing to lessen the perceived value of their tickets. You will get some of this in FB as well going forward as the trend in college sports and attendance isn't good.
I would feed the students, too.

Have Coke provide free water; have Casey's provide free pizza. Give them a voucher for a free ice cream cone. It should not be this hard and it would not be that expensive.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I would feed the students, too.

Have Coke provide free water; have Casey's provide free pizza. Give them a voucher for a free ice cream cone. It should not be this hard and it would not be that expensive.
Why would Casey’s ever agree to give away their pizza for free?

Reactions: And1Hawk
Why in heavens earth is Iowa even making the students pay for tickets in the first place...aren't they being fleeced enough for the high price of getting their education there...
I'm sure the university would go under if they lost the revenue from the 3 thousand or so students that pay, what 100 dollars for season tickets....that's a guess by the way.
And of coarse it's OK for the university to provide alcohol to a certain section in Carver for the price to rent a table. Is't that how it works for the upper section of the north end?...but not allow the sale of beer to the adult general public.
If the students can't be moved, there appears that other tactics could be used to get the students and more adults to fill Carver and make it a truly home court advantage...

Reactions: unoHawkeye
@Franisdaman have you ever been to the RAC at Rutgers? B1G announcers are referring to it as the "Trapezoid of Terror" because when it's sold out its so loud it practically shows up on the Richter scale. MBB and Wrestling have been regularly selling out and it's just crazy in there.

@Franisdaman have you ever been to the RAC at Rutgers? B1G announcers are referring to it as the "Trapezoid of Terror" because when it's sold out its so loud it practically shows up on the Richter scale. MBB and Wrestling have been regularly selling out and it's just crazy in there.
nope, never been to the RAC. it sure does seem like a nice home court advantage ;) its nice to see Rutgers fans supporting wrestling, too

Why in heavens earth is Iowa even making the students pay for tickets in the first place...aren't they being fleeced enough for the high price of getting their education there...
I'm sure the university would go under if they lost the revenue from the 3 thousand or so students that pay, what 100 dollars for season tickets....that's a guess by the way.
And of coarse it's OK for the university to provide alcohol to a certain section in Carver for the price to rent a table. Is't that how it works for the upper section of the north end?...but not allow the sale of beer to the adult general public.
If the students can't be moved, there appears that other tactics could be used to get the students and more adults to fill Carver and make it a truly home court advantage...

Alcohol was originally supposed to be served in the terrace tables but it was canceled at the last second. You still have access to the club and can drink in there before the game and at halftime. I suspect now that they will be hiring a new VP of student life that selling beer in carver will be back on the table. Currently there are no seats in the actual arena where you can legally drink.

You don't know until you ask.

And if they say no, you go to the next pizza joint. ;)

and we are only talking about 10 B1G home games where you feed the students; that's not a big expense for anyone.
If buying pizza for the students isn't a big expense for anyone then why don't you do it?

nope, never been to the RAC. it sure does seem like a nice home court advantage ;) its nice to see Rutgers fans supporting wrestling, too

I have season tickets. Told MrScrew after the fact. This Friday night we get to raise the National Championship banners for Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault. Should be pretty awesome.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Alcohol was originally supposed to be served in the terrace tables but it was canceled at the last second. You still have access to the club and can drink in there before the game and at halftime. I suspect now that they will be hiring a new VP of student life that selling beer in carver will be back on the table. Currently there are no seats in the actual arena where you can legally drink.

That's nice to know, thanks for the info, not that I would ever use that area.
Still making the students pay the extra money to see the 3 major sports programs at the university is beyond me.

I have season tickets. Told MrScrew after the fact. This Friday night we get to raise the National Championship banners for Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashnault. Should be pretty awesome.

children-hammers-tools-screw-first_loves-love_making-ctan109_low.jpg

Reactions: MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT