ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Estrella visiting this month?

FWIW, those same Duke writers gave AJ Green a crystal ball in favor of Duke the moment he announced he was visiting them. He then eventually decided to stay in the draft, but most people expected him to go to ISU if he didn't stay in draft. My understanding is those writers basically crystal ball anyone who Duke is actually pushing for and schedules an official visit (which Estrella has done). We'll see what happens, but I don't give these Duke writers much time of day when it comes to their predictions. Estrella is still visiting Iowa at the end of the month.

They are getting a lot of talent but for how long? Now that K has retired, let's see how well they do.
I dislike Duke as much as anyone, but I would not expect a drop off. Duke has the machinery in place to bring in the top level talent, as well as the history/tradition/fan support. Coach K was not doing much coaching the last few years and they were fine.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
FWIW, those same Duke writers gave AJ Green a crystal ball in favor of Duke the moment he announced he was visiting them. He then eventually decided to stay in the draft, but most people expected him to go to ISU if he didn't stay in draft. My understanding is those writers basically crystal ball anyone who Duke is actually pushing for and schedules an official visit (which Estrella has done). We'll see what happens, but I don't give these Duke writers much time of day when it comes to their predictions. Estrella is still visiting Iowa at the end of the month.
Correct. If he visits, Iowa has a chance. How much of one? Not likely high. But you are right if anyone visits Duke they make them a Duke lean. Which is not total folly, as Duke gets a good chunk of the players they go after.

There are plenty of Duke recruits that do nothing but provide practice players and sit on the bench during games. Not saying Estrella would be one of them, but he could wind up just a cog in the Duke machine when he could be the next Iowa star.

That shows you the difference in culture.

Players who would star at Iowa won't see the court at Duke.

There are plenty of Duke recruits that do nothing but provide practice players and sit on the bench during games. Not saying Estrella would be one of them, but he could wind up just a cog in the Duke machine when he could be the next Iowa star.
We’ll see if Duke remains a machine without K

Correct. If he visits, Iowa has a chance. How much of one? Not likely high. But you are right if anyone visits Duke they make them a Duke lean. Which is not total folly, as Duke gets a good chunk of the players they go after.
Duke can’t get all the good players! 😉

Reactions: kceasthawk
Your comment was "players who would star at Iowa won't see the court at Duke." You should have been more specific because that doesn't sound like being recruited by Duke matters but that any star at Iowa couldn't play at Duke.

I quoted RonMan and responded in kind. But by all means, I'll take the heat.

Be honest. This is you sharing your pessimism. You don’t know anything. I don’t either except that Estrella has given Iowa some reasons to remain hopeful. Don’t know if we can win the battle but it is not over as you are suggesting.

Realism.
When was the last time Iowa beat Duke in basketball on or off the court?

I dislike Duke as much as anyone, but I would not expect a drop off. Duke has the machinery in place to bring in the top level talent, as well as the history/tradition/fan support. Coach K was not doing much coaching the last few years and they were fine.
Indiana and UCLA have both been less than Elite in years after a legend stepped down. The Tubby Smith years at UK. Some bad hires, and they are competing with the rest of us.

Duke could beat Iowa 10 times in a row and I would still believe the Hawks have a chance to win the next one. That’s the kind of fan I am. I don’t give up on my team. Enjoy being miserable all the time.

It has NOTHING to do with being miserable.

I'm simply stating a fact, fella.

Quinn Snyder
Overall at MO he had moderate success and went downhill after a history of cheating.
"In May 2004, Snyder was named in 17 allegations as a part of an NCAA investigation over recruiting violations, centering on improper gifts to guard Ricky Clemons. The program was placed on a three-year probation that November after the NCAA infractions committee ruled that an assistant bought meals, provided transportation and illegally contacted recruits. The committee rejected claims by the school that the rule violations were inadvertent, although it also dismissed charges of major violations, including the Clemons' claim that assistant coaches paid players cash. Snyder later admitted to having players at his house for "an occasional meal" and giving Clemons clothing"

Snyder was very dirty, probably not to return to coaching college again. If that is the best you can come up with, LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT