ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Estrella visiting this month?

Overall at MO he had moderate success and went downhill after a history of cheating.
"In May 2004, Snyder was named in 17 allegations as a part of an NCAA investigation over recruiting violations, centering on improper gifts to guard Ricky Clemons. The program was placed on a three-year probation that November after the NCAA infractions committee ruled that an assistant bought meals, provided transportation and illegally contacted recruits. The committee rejected claims by the school that the rule violations were inadvertent, although it also dismissed charges of major violations, including the Clemons' claim that assistant coaches paid players cash. Snyder later admitted to having players at his house for "an occasional meal" and giving Clemons clothing"

Snyder was very dirty, probably not to return to coaching college again. If that is the best you can come up with, LOL!
Checked Snyder's NBA resume' lately? Widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the league and his teams graded very well analytically.

Simply, Snyder got a hell of a lot out of Jazz rosters that weren't very special

I think at one time Snyder had a substance abuse problem and he seems to have recovered very well from that.

Reactions: 91hawki
That's right, that's right....Keep getting my hopes up!
I'm like you. Big freakin tease.

One of these days though, Fran could cash in. Garza moved the needle, Keegan pushed it forward and recruits are taking notice. The development of those two seems to be resonating. Good news, Kris has the opportunity to continue that narrative.

Oh well. I'm glass half full guy.

That you Akrum??
LOL, no. I just know that he's a reporter and he writes stuff to get readers. I didn't read that stuff because I knew he was being used, but he sure got a lot of you to read it, didn't he? He has written some other stuff that I thought was pretty good. The Estrella article is a good example of that.

Duke could beat Iowa 10 times in a row and I would still believe the Hawks have a chance to win the next one. That’s the kind of fan I am. I don’t give up on my team. Enjoy being miserable all the time.
I got you hooper. It always gets me when the folks here do their preseason picks for football, and they have us with a good chance to lose to ISU, Minny, or whatever directional school we play pre conference. Of course we could lose, but I'd never sit here and expect us to lose to anyone , (especially teams we usually beat) in the pre season. Why spend the off season with the negative Nancy outlook for no reason whatsoever.....

Reactions: Demoba and hooper56
Checked Snyder's NBA resume' lately? Widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the league and his teams graded very well analytically.

Simply, Snyder got a hell of a lot out of Jazz rosters that weren't very special
Yeah, I think he’s cleaned up his act and is better fitted for the pros. He was a mess at Missouri.

LOL, no. I just know that he's a reporter and he writes stuff to get readers. I didn't read that stuff because I knew he was being used, but he sure got a lot of you to read it, didn't he? He has written some other stuff that I thought was pretty good. The Estrella article is a good example of that.
He's a hack and an embarrassment but to each their own

Good article if true but not sure I can believe all of it. I would love to get Estrella but hard to believe he would choose Iowa over Duke

Iowa does develop bigs but we are talking about DUKE, BABY as Dicky V would say. I do think Estrella's inside/outside game fits Iowa's style better but we are talking about beating out Duke for this young talent.

Fran has been on him the longest and has a great relationship but once again we are talking about Duke.

We'll know in a few weeks I'm sure but not getting my hopes up too high.

Good article if true but not sure I can believe all of it. I would love to get Estrella but hard to believe he would choose Iowa over Duke

Iowa does develop bigs but we are talking about DUKE, BABY as Dicky V would say. I do think Estrella's inside/outside game fits Iowa's style better but we are talking about beating out Duke for this young talent.

Fran has been on him the longest and has a great relationship but once again we are talking about Duke.

We'll know in a few weeks I'm sure but not getting my hopes up too high.
Do some of you all not know the difference between a straight reporting news article and an opinion piece? I don't care for Howe and his passive-aggressive shots at anyone who disagrees with him, but the story about Estrella is just him quoting the kid about how he's handling his recruiting process. Unless he's just making quotes up (which I don't think he is) the story can be 100% true and the kid can still choose to go to Duke.

Once Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, et al get involved on the same player Iowa is recruiting, it is always going to be a long shot for Iowa. Always. It doesn't mean Fran should just give up. Fran's pitch is this: track record of developing big players and they will get the freedom on offense to play inside and outside. Likely early PT available, and he will play in a system that doesn't hold the ball. Very high likelihood of being in the NCAA tournament (Iowa has had a NCAA-worthy team 4 years running). And high likelihood that Fran will be here his entire career, with his youngest son going into his sophomore year of HS.

Anybody who doesn’t think Fran is a very good and tireless recruiter needs to read that multiple times.
I don't think anyone with a brain has ever suggested that Fran doesn't work at it, or that he is late to identify talent. He has many examples of being the first power conference coach to identify an overlooked talent. And he most definitely puts in the time. His overall track record of landing out-of-state guys that other power conference teams are after is not great. Recent trends are good. Bowen, Freeman, Koch all from out of state and all could have gone to other Big 10/power conference schools.

I'm hoping Fran has a GREAT 7-8 year run here at the end of his career. New faces on the staff, momentum in recruiting and in putting guys in the NBA (Garza, Wieskamp, Keeg. Murray).

J.P. would certainly get more playing time at Iowa vs. Duke. They have 2 five star PF's committed in this class and have two five star centers and a five star PF in last year's class.
Good points! And with the change of staff/retirement of coach K, Duke is more of a question mark than they have been for over 40 years. That could give pause to committing to the new coach.

Good points! And with the change of staff/retirement of coach K, Duke is more of a question mark than they have been for over 40 years. That could give pause to committing to the new coach.
Doesn't take a great coach with that kind of talent. Number 1 class last year with four 5 stars. Have three this year I believe.

Duke doesn't develop players as much as they provide a place for one-and-done players to spend their required year.

Let's see what they do with it.

I wish Iowa could be so lucky.

I'm a realist. If there were 100 recruits, and you asked them all privately "would they rather attend Iowa or Duke?", You can bet 98 of them, if not all, would choose Duke. That's reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlameIt
ADVERTISEMENT