ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Estrella

Using NIL money to lure recruits is against the rules...Fran does not roll that way.
Two types of programs now..those that follow the rules and cheaters.
Tenn clearly is the cheater.
Who says that crime does not pay.

NIL is just one more disadvantage Fran faces, trying to land big-time recruits. "Inducements" have existed for a long time, but now more of it is in plain view... I think it sucks, and would believe that even if it were an advantage for Iowa.

NIL is just one more disadvantage Fran faces, trying to land big-time recruits. "Inducements" have existed for a long time, but now more of it is in plain view... I think it sucks, and would believe that even if it were an advantage for Iowa.
Iowa has 2 NIL collectives. Look at the class that ISU is putting together, do you actually think their NIL deals are larger than Iowa's would be?

Using NIL money to lure recruits is against the rules...Fran does not roll that way.
Two types of programs now..those that follow the rules and cheaters.
Tenn clearly is the cheater.
Who says that crime does not pay.
Im pretty sure its been mentioned that while Kirk isnt on board with using NIL to entice recruits to Iowa Fran has expressed interest in doing so. Bball and Fball are different animals when it comes to NIL

Iowa has 2 NIL collectives. Look at the class that ISU is putting together, do you actually think their NIL deals are larger than Iowa's would be?
I do. The collectives that have been created at Iowa have said the $ are going in equal amounts to everyone. It's not like Tennessee is terrible. They have had better recent success than Iowa. Everyone may think NIL is unseemly, but it's just the way things are today.

I do. The collectives that have been created at Iowa have said the $ are going in equal amounts to everyone. It's not like Tennessee is terrible. They have had better recent success than Iowa. Everyone may think NIL is unseemly, but it's just the way things are today.
Mcaffrey stated that it would tweaked it if necessary, but he would not want to see a transfer garner more than a player currently on the team.

What is your basis for claiming that NIL enticements are "against the rules"?
I believe the rules laid out by the NCAA dictate that a player should be on campus before being compensated for his "brand".
Saban and others have railed against NIL being used to buy recruits.
I know it is being done but it is against the spirit of the rule to do so. Supposedly Caitlin Clark is earning 7 figures but that is because she has established a valuable brand while in a Hawkeye uniform. That is how it is supposed to work.
Estella has not done that in a Tenn uni yet.

Living in Knoxville and playing for a team that’s danced four out of the past five years with great talent coming in alongside you sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The NIL deal is icing on the cake

Would have been a big get for Iowa, but not the worst loss. We got our big man in Freeman, who should be a good one, and are still in on some good looking prospects for the ‘23 class

I would rather have Power, since Estrella, who would be a great get, seems much like Freeman. Any updates on Power, who seems to be hard to read?
Seems like the only consensus out there is Boston College is out of the running. Some things I've read think it's a North Carolina/Duke battle and some think it's a Virginia/Iowa battle. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. One thing's for certain--Power has kept this thing very close to the vest and seems genuinely torn on what to do.

Seems like the only consensus out there is Boston College is out of the running. Some things I've read think it's a North Carolina/Duke battle and some think it's a Virginia/Iowa battle. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. One thing's for certain--Power has kept this thing very close to the vest and seems genuinely torn on what to do.
Judging by interviews Power has given in the past month, I'd guess Iowa or Virginia will be his choice if his decision comes down to relationships as he's stated.

I think it’s down to Duke and Iowa. Which demonstrates that Fran is recruiting the right players.
Yes, you have to respect Fran’s efforts in trying to land blue chip talent. He clearly is not afraid of recruiting players who are likely to tell him no. The only issue I see is after he swings for the fences he too often is left having to take mid-major level projects.

With that said, his recruiting has seemed to have gotten a little better as of late.

Yes, you have to respect Fran’s efforts in trying to land blue chip talent. He clearly is not afraid of recruiting players who are likely to tell him no. The only issue I see is after he swings for the fences he too often is left having to take mid-major level projects.

With that said, his recruiting has seemed to have gotten a little better as of late.
He and staff do their homework. They may miss out on some higher-ranked recruits as you noted but they also bring in some lesser-ranked recruits that end up becoming pretty damn good. He and staff deserve kudos for that.

Not always.
4- and 5-star commitments in B1G since 2017

• 1) Michigan 20
  • 2) Michigan State 18
  • T-3) Ohio State 16
  • T-3) Indiana 16
  • T-3) Illinois 16
  • 6) Maryland 12
  • 7) Purdue 8
  • T-8) Northwestern 4
  • T-8) Nebraska 4
  • T-8) Iowa 4
  • T-8) Minnesota 4
  • T-8) Wisconsin 4
  • 13) Rutgers 3
  • 14) Penn State 2
Fran and Gard clearly significantly outcompeting their recruiting numbers. Painter can also coach 'em up.

What could Fran do with Michigan level talent? I hope we get to find out soon.

Last edited:
Not always.
You are right. Luka was a great get.
Tyler Cook also.
I do not include Iowa preps or legacy guys.
Maybe that is unfair but unless they are top 20 like Omaha B.we should get most which Fran has done.
Real test is out of state top guys like JP or TJ.

You are right. Luka was a great get.
Tyler Cook also.
I do not include Iowa preps or legacy guys.
Maybe that is unfair but unless they are top 20 like Omaha B.we should get most which Fran has done.
Real test is out of state top guys like JP or TJ.
Some like Bowen who commit early never get the bump in rankings they would get if they stayed uncommitted longer. IMHO, that's why some of the players like Garza and Bowen weren't as highly ranked but Iowa seems to always compete above their recruiting class. Hopefully some day Iowa's offer will mean more because rating services take notice that the staff seems to do a damn good job evaluating talent.

How do you know this?
2432 may have a source (which he isn’t obligated to disclose) or he may not

Regardless, it’s common practice for a recruit who was deep in conversations with a few schools would do those coaches the courtesy of letting them know that they are going elsewhere. And given that Iowa extended an offer to a very similar player at Estrella’s position days ago (as did Syracuse), along with all the smoke about JP > Tennessee, it’s a 1+1=2 situation

That's too bad. He seemed to really enjoy his weekend here. I hope the young man doesn't come to regret this choice.
The thing is, now that you basically have free agency with transfers, are these decisions ever really final?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT