ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Estrella

I like that Iowa sports is clean, but they seem to be very slow to react to global changes in the NCAA rules, like the transfer portal and now NIL. It is too bad, because Fran is one of the best at spotting talent and making early contact with recruits, but then the blue bloods and "we will do anything" programs swoop in...

Reactions: perryhawk
I like that Iowa sports is clean, but they seem to be very slow to react to global changes in the NCAA rules, like the transfer portal and now NIL. It is too bad, because Fran is one of the best at spotting talent and making early contact with recruits, but then the blue bloods and "we will do anything" programs swoop in...
A valid point, but are we going to cause more trouble by paying recruits more than current players? Fran’s plan is built on player stability. I think you lose that if different players are paid different amounts.

A valid point, but are we going to cause more trouble by paying recruits more than current players? Fran’s plan is built on player stability. I think you lose that if different players are paid different amounts.

I think you could start all players out at a common NIL baseline, but once inside the program players need to be able to develop their own individual NIL value...

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Jordan Bohannon causing Iowa to miss on Estrella is the dumbest thing you will read anywhere on this topic.
He was one of the "pioneers" for Pay for Play (oops, NIL). Do you really think he, along with the other scholarship athletes that cried over being paid for college, didn't have any hand in the NIL movement?

If people disagree with my assessment I won't lose sleep over it. I'm Ok

He was one of the "pioneers" for Pay for Play (oops, NIL). Do you really think he, along with the other scholarship athletes that cried over being paid for college, didn't have any hand in the NIL movement? If people disagree with my assessment I won't lose sleep over it. I'm Ok

I disagree with your assessment,.. glad to hear you're okay.

He was one of the "pioneers" for Pay for Play (oops, NIL).
Bohannon is not one of the pioneers. Ed O'Bannon (UCLA bb player) and several other current and former college players sued the NCAA in ... I believe it was filed in 2008 when Jordan was in middle school. A class action lawsuit was later filed against the NCAA well before Bohannon enrolled at Iowa. You don't know what you are talking about.

Jordan became vocal about NIL afer several years of protracted litigation - after the US District Court ruled in favor of the Plaintiffs, pending appeal to he US Supreme Court. By then, the handwriting was on the wall.

Bohannon is not one of the pioneers. Ed O'Bannon (UCLA bb player) and several other current and former college players sued the NCAA in ... I believe it was filed in 2008 when Jordan was in middle school. A class action lawsuit was later filed against the NCAA well before Bohannon enrolled at Iowa. You don't know what you are talking about.

Jordan became vocal about NIL afer several years of protracted litigation - after the US District Court ruled in favor of the Plaintiffs, pending appeal to he US Supreme Court. By then, the handwriting was on the wall.
Get those facts outta here!

😉

I think you could start all players out at a common NIL baseline, but once inside the program players need to be able to develop their own individual NIL value...
There supposed to start at NOTHING. The NIL, stands for Name, Image, and Likeness. Its to pay players for the use of their NIL in marketing the game. It was never designed for whats going on right now. As usual the NCAA has let the horse out of the barn, and is currently running down the rode with the reigns in their hand trying to catch the horse and get it back under control. Never happen.....

I think paying players an equal amount is fine as long as they are all similar in talent level. I think you have to make exceptions for exceptional players and I believe the rest of the team, knowing that particular player will be good for all of their success, will understand.

Last edited:

Well, define “pioneer“. I think JBo was definitely ahead of the curve with respect to player monetization.

Seems team chemistry beats out NIL with the Estrella family.

"He'll announce his choice on Friday, Sept. 2. And whichever team wins the recruiting battle will have passed the Estrella family chemistry test."

I hate wringing my hands over a teenager's decision about where to play BB. Unfortunately, one or two guys can make a huge difference in a team.

You just described pay for performance. That is not NIL.
Maybe that's not what it is supposed to be, but how do you explain some of the cash these players are getting just to enroll in their schools. What NIL is that based on? You don't think the programs expect to receive benefits from their play.
I think the players should cash (sic) in on this interpretation of NIL now while it still exists. I do not believe it will continue in this mode.

Reactions: iowalawhawk
NIL is an unregulated fockin mess, nobody really knows what going on. If they were going to do it they should have taking time and set up some rules. Something atleast to go buy instead of doing what they did....with nobody really knowing sh** about it and just start offering players cash to get them to come to their school

Maybe that's not what it is supposed to be, but how do you explain some of the cash these players are getting just to enroll in their schools. What NIL is that based on? You don't think the programs expect to receive benefits from their play.
I think the players should cash (sic) in on this interpretation of NIL now while it still exists. I do not believe it will continue in this mode.
I don't disagree. Pay for performance is certainly not what it was meant to be, but seems like that is what it has become in many cases. Also when I see posts like "every player on a team will get $X", that is pay to play not NIL intent.

Bidding wars for high school players is asinine and should not be allowed, period

Not really much can be done about it. The NCAA abdicated any responsibility to regulate it, the Supreme Court basically said NIL was legal, and now it's a free for all.

Admittedly I'm somebody that was for it, but I didn't anticipate the numbers getting thrown around. Like it or not NIL is the absolute essence of an unregulated free market and there appears to be people with some serious disposable income that are included to use it there.

Not really much can be done about it. The NCAA abdicated any responsibility to regulate it, the Supreme Court basically said NIL was legal, and now it's a free for all.

Admittedly I'm somebody that was for it, but I didn't anticipate the numbers getting thrown around. Like it or not NIL is the absolute essence of an unregulated free market and there appears to be people with some serious disposable income that are included to use it there.

I think you are right. Who would have thought college athletics would have come to this just a few short years ago 😟

I think it’ll balance out eventually. A number of people will be reluctant to continue throwing big dollars at recruits if they aren’t seeing a return on their investment

But yeah, the system could benefit from some regulation as well

I think it’ll balance out eventually. A number of people will be reluctant to continue throwing big dollars at recruits if they aren’t seeing a return on their investment

But yeah, the system could benefit from some regulation as well

I'm hesitant to say anything at this point about the future because I thought maybe the big schools like Texas would throw 100k at some people once in a while. Likely their entire team will be getting 100k. Teams like Miami basketball are throwing half a million per year at a single player. Even if it dries up some, it will still be more than likely I ever thought it would be.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Move on , next recruit up. Maybe this works out and Next year they get JT Rock instead to commit.
This. Iowa isn't in such a bad position that yhey had to get Estrella or the class would bomb. Iowa has 3 commits and another good one for the following year. There are lots of irons in the fire still.

I guess I am most surprised that he chose Tennessee. Just doesn't pass the smell test after all he said and did up until recently.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Great thread. Love the views on NIL. I agree that Iowa is behind the game right now, but I'm not sure the best option.

elaine-benes-stella.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT