ADVERTISEMENT

J.P. Estrella

Not to kick you when you are feeling down, but here is a link to 247 that shows him committed to Tennessee.

It was sudden and fairly recent.
It wasn't.

You just read Iowa related media to the exclusion of everything else and then start flinging accusations around when the reality of the wider world comes crashing in.

Not a good look. Get your nose checked.

It wasn't.

You just read Iowa related media to the exclusion of everything else and then start flinging accusations around when the reality of the wider world comes crashing in.

Not a good look. Get your nose checked.
His elevated interest in Tennessee WAS fairly recent.

Find an interview over a month ago from any source other than a Tennessee site where he mentions Tennessee as a leader.
While the talk for a while had been that Iowa and Syracuse were the leaders, it would be interesting to go back and see if that was fueled by anything Estrella actually said, or just the so-called “insiders” repeating each other.

Here’s one article from a few months ago where Estrella specifically talks about Tennessee. He doesn’t name them as a “leader,” per se, but it does suggest that Tennessee was clearly in the mix at that point. Link here: https://247sports.com/Article/JP-Es...n-State-Iowa-Basketball-Recruiting-186047410/

Honestly, I think this is just a case where the “insiders” had it wrong. It’s happened before. It will happen again.

EDIT: Here’s another article, from late July, where Tennessee is listed as a “potential option”: https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/07/31...ecaps-iowa-visit-updates-recruiting-timeline/

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
Seems like the only consensus out there is Boston College is out of the running. Some things I've read think it's a North Carolina/Duke battle and some think it's a Virginia/Iowa battle. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. One thing's for certain--Power has kept this thing very close to the vest and seems genuinely torn on what to do.
I think it will be Virginia. Hawks will finish 2nd or 3rd.

While the talk for a while had been that Iowa and Syracuse were the leaders, it would be interesting to go back and see if that was fueled by anything Estrella actually said, or just the so-called “insiders” repeating each other.

Here’s one article from a few months ago where Estrella specifically talks about Tennessee. He doesn’t name them as a “leader,” per se, but it does suggest that Tennessee was clearly in the mix at that point. Link here: https://247sports.com/Article/JP-Es...n-State-Iowa-Basketball-Recruiting-186047410/

Honestly, I think this is just a case where the “insiders” had it wrong. It’s happened before. It will happen again.

EDIT: Here’s another article, from late July, where Tennessee is listed as a “potential option”: https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/07/31...ecaps-iowa-visit-updates-recruiting-timeline/
I just think Tennessee came in and sweetened the pot once they knew he was ready to make a choice.

Reactions: herkhatescy
I just think Tennessee came in and sweetened the pot once they knew he was ready to make a choice.
Maybe. But I also think every recruiting battle we lose for the next few years is going to be blamed on NIL.

Maybe. But I also think every recruiting battle we lose for the next few years is going to be blamed on NIL.
I think this may happen but eventually kids are going to realize that the coaching staff is a bigger part of playing after college than NIL. NIL won't support 99.9% of college athletes after graduation.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I think this may happen but eventually kids are going to realize that the coaching staff is a bigger part of playing after college than NIL. NIL won't support 99.9% of college athletes after graduation.
But if the schools are relatively equal in the mind of a recruit, $$$ will win out every time.

Reactions: chuck285
I think your premise is fatally flawed. Does Iowa have a better coaching staff than e.g., Tennessee? I think there’s zero evidence for that.

Do we have a better coaching staff than any of the programs that typically land top 50 players? Again, what‘s the evidence?

Where does our staff stack up in the B1G — programs that typically land top 150 players? Certainly after Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin….probably Indiana and Maryland…time will tell.

I just don’t see it as the the thing that’s going to even the NIL balance with other programs. I mean … Fran has been here for a dozen years. It’s not like he wasn“t already a known quantity before NIL. Is he considered a better coach since last year? lol. Don’t think so. Will he be considered a better coach in the future for some reason? I guess it could happen if he makes a sweet sixteen or two or wins a few league titles. Wouldn’t bet the farm on that happening though.

Last edited:
Rather than start a separate Power thread, I didn't realize that TJ is now a five star. Not a lot of forecasts about Power, who seems to be keeping his decision to himself, but usually that hasn't boded well for the Hawks. I have heard a few on here say it is Duke, which swooped in and took Filipowski last year. I don't know if there is real reason to think Duke, other than past history, but based on the little information I have seen, which isn't very current, I believe Iowa has a real shot. I hope that is more than my Black and Gold glasses. Anyone really know more?

Rather than start a separate Power thread, I didn't realize that TJ is now a five star. Not a lot of forecasts about Power, who seems to be keeping his decision to himself, but usually that hasn't boded well for the Hawks. I have heard a few on here say it is Duke, which swooped in and took Filipowski last year. I don't know if there is real reason to think Duke, other than past history, but based on the little information I have seen, which isn't very current, I believe Iowa has a real shot. I hope that is more than my Black and Gold glasses. Anyone really know more?
As of yesterday, 247 now has two CB predictions for Duke. Both are from Duke writers.

I think your premise is fatally flawed. Does Iowa have a better coaching staff than e.g., Tennessee? I think there’s zero evidence for that.

Do we have a better coaching staff than any of the programs that typically land top 50 players? Again, what‘s the evidence?

Where does our staff stack up in the B1G — programs that typically land top 150 players? Certainly after Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin….probably Indiana and Maryland…time will tell.

I just don’t see it as the the thing that’s going to even the NIL balance with other programs. I mean … Fran has been here for a dozen years. It’s not like he wasn“t already a known quantity before NIL. Is he considered a better coach since last year? lol. Don’t think so. Will he be considered a better coach in the future for some reason? I guess it could happen if he makes a sweet sixteen or two or wins a few league titles. Wouldn’t bet the farm on that happening though.
Coaches tend to "improve" once they start getting highly rated players. McCaffery does very well with the level of player he gets into an Iowa uniform. Wouldn't more four stars and an occasional 5 star help the program and, thereby, the coaches performance?

baseball-fail.gif

Whether they belong or not. Way too many kids think they have the talent to play in the NBA and 90% of them either aren't ready as a HS graduate or will never be ready. I just hope the NCAA(or whoever is running things then) allows some of these kids to return to college if they are not drafted or signed to the G League and don't punish them for making a mistake.

Whether they belong or not. Way too many kids think they have the talent to play in the NBA and 90% of them either aren't ready as a HS graduate or will never be ready. I just hope the NCAA(or whoever is running things then) allows some of these kids to return to college if they are not drafted or signed to the G League and don't punish them for making a mistake.
Not sure if there is any cap on how much a college athlete can get through NIL or endorsements, but maybe that will be enough to encourage kids to go to college for a year or two, to get a better read on their professional career potential.

ADVERTISEMENT