ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Campbell commits to the Hawks Saturday March 31

Campbell is looking to visit Lames and Iowa City once more before making his decision. Lets get him Hawks!

Indeed, Iowa fans have never been known for their witty creativity. Iowa fans are like Iowa football, boring and unimaginative. Have a great Wednesday.
Be witty & creative & put down what you would call Nebraska
You have a good Wednesday also

It may come down to if jack wants early playing time or not. Right now we have a big logjam at linebacker even if they have not played much. Nobody wants to hear this i know. But after we signed jayden from georgia. Jack should wait awhile before deciding.
The good news i think by mid season we are going to find out the linebackers we have already are pretty good. And we would be better off using this scholly elsewhere anyway. Mc donald from georgia was a great get in 2018. Plus Dillon doyle. Jmho

Last edited:
Hunch driven prediction. I saw that a cyclone insider has predicted him to Iowa on 247. I get a strong feeling we are his landing spot so I'm putting my prediction out there.

Thanks. I hope you're right. Jack's a strong versatile athlete. Could develop at a couple of spots.

It may come down to if jack wants early playing time or not. Right now we have a big logjam at linebacker even if they have not played much. Nobody wants to hear this i know. But after we signed jayden from georgia. Jack should wait awhile before deciding.
The good news i think by mid season we are going to find out the linebackers we have already are pretty good. And we would be better off using this scholly elsewhere anyway. Mc donald from georgia was a great get in 2018. Plus Dillon doyle. Jmho

Can't fear the competition.

Can't fear the competition.

I agree, kids should have some confidence they can compete at the level they envision and commit to. That being said, he'll be in the Iowa program at least 2 years before he makes an impact outside of special teams play, like most of our recruits regardless of position.

Back on topic: Interesting quote from Jack in today's DMR re: one of the deciding factors in picking a school (supposedly he has picked his school and will announce Sat - as the headline of this thread states):

"A factor that played heavily in where he's committing? The schools' weight-training programs, Campbell said.

"Who’s going to put the weight on me? Who’s going to develop me?" he said. "Because, obviously, right now I have a pretty big frame, but I just need that extra help to get the weight on me."

On Iowa's weight-training program, he said: "Obviously, (strength coach Chris) Doyle is at Iowa — he's one of the best in the nation. That just sits right there.""

Solid work Clark, was just going to post that. There are a lot of things JC could have said that would have led me to believe he was leaning another direction but the guy knows Doyle. I would say we are in good shape here fellas. I know the number of LBs is high right now but a 6-4 guy with the lateral movement to play OLB is always a good addition. In my uneducated opinion the idea of a taller guy who can cover well (olb) an absolute tackling stud in the middle with good size (mlb) and a shorter quicker "safety type" guy who can really help out in coverage would be a heck of a lineup and I think what they are gearing towards. While I don't want anyone to leave I think it is also reasonable to expect some serious attrition at LB for both the walk ins and scholly guys.

A perceptive ISU poster on CR (who is probably reading this, but is too intelligent to post) made a good point. Campbell says he'll probably announce his choice on Twitter, then go down to the school and make it official. "Down" eliminates Minnesota and makes ISU unlikely.

Reactions: meatloaf55
A perceptive ISU poster on CR (who is probably reading this, but is too intelligent to post) made a good point. Campbell says he'll probably announce his choice on Twitter, then go down to the school and make it official. "Down" eliminates Minnesota and makes ISU unlikely.
Couldn't that just indicate he is going to CF high school to make it official? Why would he go to the university ot make it official?

I hope that's the case, but I have heard enough people misuse "down, up, and over" when talking about traveling somewhere that I won't call it a lock. Some people always incorrectly use "heading down there" even when travelling north.. a good observation but I'm not convinced

Reactions: Pepperman
I hope that's the case, but I have heard enough people misuse "down, up, and over" when talking about traveling somewhere that I won't call it a lock. Some people always incorrectly use "heading down there" even when travelling north.. a good observation but I'm not convinced
Well, I wasn't going to explain this, but ...... to a great many Iowans, going to Iowa City amounts to a descent.

Clones lost 3 games on the final play. When you beat two top 5 rated teams with one of them being a playoff team at their place, you gain good national recognition. The recruits really like Matt Campbell, so that helps.
Iowa had one of the toughest schedules in nation and also lost 4 games on last second play, OT, or by single digits. All 3 non conference teams made bowl and played OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin who were pretty good. Also find me a team who played 9 teams who played 9 teams who won their bowl game and 11 teams who made a bowl. Do not forget big ten went 7-1 in bowls

Hawks, Cowboys, and Wildcats all defeated ISU on last play of the game. The OSU win was an interception in the end zone that could have been ruled dual possession and tying TD. The loss to KSU was exactly like the hawks loss to PSU.
Wrong about the latter statement. Against Penn State, the officials didn't call them for game-deciding penalties twice, then pick up the flag both times.

Solid work Clark, was just going to post that. There are a lot of things JC could have said that would have led me to believe he was leaning another direction but the guy knows Doyle. I would say we are in good shape here fellas.
Agree ... Saw Jack in person at the state bball tournament. Kid is very athletic and hustled all of over the court. The frame is there for Doyle to work his magic!

News flash LC...Ames is ‘down’ from CF.

Depends on your perspective, I guess. Iowa State had one of the best seasons in school history by winning 8 games and a bowl. Iowa won 8 games and a bowl and many fans expect more. I know which I would choose, but to each their own.
Clones lost 3 games on the final play. When you beat two top 5 rated teams with one of them being a playoff team at their place, you gain good national recognition. The recruits really like Matt Campbell, so that helps.
National recognition no more than we got for drubbing Ohio State. and if he manages to pull off a Twins and another bowl game he won't be there the year after that.

Depends on your perspective, I guess. Iowa State had one of the best seasons in school history by winning 8 games and a bowl. Iowa won 8 games and a bowl and many fans expect more. I know which I would choose, but to each their own.
National recognition no more than we got for drubbing Ohio State. and if he manages to pull off 8 wins and another bowl game he won't be there the year after that.

National recognition no more than we got for drubbing Ohio State. and if he manages to pull off a Twins and another bowl game he won't be there the year after that.
If Ohio St would have made the playoff then you would be correct.....but they didn't and you aren't

Educated guess. Based on some isu sources. We wont need him anyway.
Why is it every time a recruit turns Iowa down some knuckle head says " We don't need him anyway. Seems to me for Iowa there's not that many fish in the pond so why recruit him if he's not needed?

ADVERTISEMENT