ADVERTISEMENT

jack dahm

Originally posted by 2bagger22

Appears he's been fired.

Technically, I suppose, he was not retained, since he was no longer under contract.

Barta has to have a gut feeling on who is out there, and interested in the job.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Indeed. Didn't think Barta would do it, but here it is:
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052313aaa.html

If Barta does not make a run at Marc Rardin at Iowa Western, I believe it will be a mistake.

Originally posted by bubbfan:
If Barta does not make a run at Marc Rardin at Iowa Western, I believe it will be a mistake.
I know little about the IA Western coach except that he has done well, but he is at a Com. College, so I think it is fair to ask, is baseball at a com. college like basketball, usually having a lot kids who whose grades wouldn't get them into a 4 year school? Also, how competitive is the baseball scene at com. colleges? Does it include colleges from all the US. , the south? Seems like I remember the Calif. colleges are not in the national assn. Where do the CC grads usually go after CC graduation? Midwest colleges? Pros? etc. Sorry for all the questions.

This post was edited on 5/23 5:24 PM by IamHawkeye

The 2012 Iowa Western baseball team had SIXTEEN players sign to play at division one schools all across the country.

This spring Iowa Western had 26 players who had over a 3.0 GPA.

Wayne Grahm at Rice was a long time Jr. College coach with Rice hired him. The current coach at UNLV was a long time Jr. College Coach when UNLV hired him. The current coach at the University of New Mexico was a long time Jr. College coach when they hired him. Each of those guys have improved their current schools. Mike Fox at the University of North Carolina was hired from a Division three school.

I would hope Iowa would not think they are to Big League to look at successful lower Division coaches. Some of the best are located there.

This post was edited on 5/23 6:08 PM by bubbfan

Originally posted by IamHawkeye
I know little about the IA Western coach except that he has done well, but he is at a Com. College, so I think it is fair to ask, is baseball at a com. college like basketball, usually having a lot kids who whose grades wouldn't get them into a 4 year school? Also, how competitive is the baseball scene at com. colleges? Does it include colleges from all the US. , the south? Seems like I remember the Calif. colleges are not in the national assn. Where do the CC grads usually go after CC graduation? Midwest colleges? Pros? etc. Sorry for all the questions.

There are usually at least 2 community colleges in Iowa that could beat Iowa. Iowa Western is legit obviously, but DMACC, Iowa Central, Indian Hills and Kirkwood have all had national success at times, with talent that could easily rival Iowa.

As far as grades and academic stuff, baseball is a different beast. If you go the JUCO way, you can get drafted after one year, compared to three for division 1. Bryce Harper went this way, obviously forgoing his last two years in high school, to get drafted sooner. Baseball recruiting is different, especially in northern states. Lack of D1 schools in Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, The Dakotas leaves a lot of talent out there without options. Throw in the fact that nobody gets full rides, and you got good talent there.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by iowalaker:

Originally posted by IamHawkeye

There are usually at least 2 community colleges in Iowa that could beat Iowa. Iowa Western is legit obviously, but DMACC, Iowa Central, Indian Hills and Kirkwood have all had national success at times, with talent that could easily rival Iowa.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Talent hasn't been the problem at Iowa, as evidenced by the high ranking of most of Dahm's recruiting classes. For whatever reason, he simply couldn't get the team to actually play to that level. And he had that issue before he came to Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT