ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Dahms contract will not be renewed

A change needed to be made, and I think this is the right call by Barta.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen a classier reaction by a coach after having been dismissed. Almost always, they understandably are unavailable for comment for a given period after a change is made. Dahm, however, agreed to be interviewed by the Gazette, and gave them this quote:

"The bottom line is (athletics director) Gary (Barta) wants everybody to win," Dahm said. "The No. 1 emphasis is winning. He told that to the coaches, we need to win. Iowa baseball did not win enough under my direction, and I think Gary's making a statement there."

That's a pretty gracious statement to make, particularly when we all know that the UI hasn't given baseball nearly enough financial support to make the program competitive in the BIG. The bottom line is that--unless the athletic department's afterthought mindset changes--Tony LaRussa himself could take the job and the Hawks would still be struggling to play .500 ball year after year. The next "statement" Barta needs to make is with his wallet.

This post was edited on 5/24 6:38 AM by Jake in D-Town

One issue is, where to you put the money? Baseball scholarships are restricted to 11 2/3 (I think), so you can't put any more there. Sure Banks Field doesn't look like much when you compare to some of the other school's facilities (especially those that share with a minor league team like Nebraska and Penn State), but the playing surface was just replaced, lights are only 10 years old, and baseball has access to the new football practice building. We already go south for the first part of the season like all the other northern teams. And lets face it, how many more fans would come even if a new stadium was built? The college regular season is about over just as this part of the country gets warm weather.

"The bottom line is (athletics director) Gary (Barta) wants everybody to win," Dahm said. "The No. 1 emphasis is winning. He told that to the coaches, we need to win. Iowa baseball did not win enough under my direction, and I think Gary's making a statement there."

Good lord, can we now apply that to VOLLEYBALL as well!! 4 consecutive last place finishes in Big Ten!
Not that that it has anything to do with baseball, but I really do hope that is what Barta is truly thinking and saying!
For ALL OF IOWA SPORTS!

They can increase Coach pay where they can hire a quality head coach and assistant coaches. Field turf the field. That is really needed by all northern schools.

I can see the argument for FieldTurf; Heller was trying to get that for UNI when they killed the program. But it would be a tough sell when they just re-did the entire field in natural turf a couple of years ago. Probably a mistake in hindsight.

Just read the HawkCentral article where Dahm was complaining about not having an indoor hitting facility. That was a surprise - heck, my hometown high school (Class 2A) has that. If he was supposedly such a great fund raiser, why didn't we have one years ago? Yeah, it was a lousy spring, but really not that far out of the ordinary. Last year's warm, dry weather was the real exception.

Indoor facilities are a must. ORU and Wichita State are two programs that I know have indoor facilities with a full infield diamond. When all outdoor teams are trying to get time in the bubble, it becomes difficult, especially when football is playing in a bowl.

FieldTurf is a big deal up north because even in bad weather their are times you can get on it, Even plow it a little if needed. Hitting indoors does not develop hitters the way hitting outdoors does. Plus, position players need to long toss.

This post was edited on 5/24 10:24 AM by bubbfan

Originally posted by Row55:
Yeah, it was a lousy spring, but really not that far out of the ordinary. Last year's warm, dry weather was the real exception.

I'd argue that this was one of the most unusual springs in many people's memories. Weathermen would agree. Last year, while nicer than usual, was closer to normal than this year by far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT