ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Heflin vs Nebby

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
SIAP but here is all the plays vs Nebraska for Heflin

From what I got from the video:
Pros: Looks like a good run defender on the line, uses his hands well, assignment sound, he hustles, can play inside and outside, and looks strong.

Cons: Doesn’t look that explosive coming out of stance, starts higher more compared to lower, not much of a pass rush, and doesn’t look that quick.

This is from one video from a guy that scouts football players for buying the right rookie cards, so take it for what it’s worth lol. I think he will add the depth that is needed and will have versatility in his game if we are playing a run first team. Hopefully Iowa coaches him up more and he can clean up a couple of the cons I saw but then again this was one game. Overall I am excited for him to be a hawk and he will be a big part of this defense this year.

Definitely out of position playing the five technique, not sure why NIU had him doing so much of that in this game. Not great in space or off the edge, gets a little top heavy at times.

Pretty stout on the interior taking on double teams in the run game, but does get rush centric rather than gap centric at times which our defense demands.

Think he'll be a load playing nose or 3 tech after a little coaching up.

Not sure if it was how he was coached up but didn’t seem to fight across the face of the online well. But he was much better as a dt.

IMO good but not great player. Will benefit a lot playing alongside better teammates and concentrating on one position at Iowa. A little coaching up, effort and size are there. Will fit in nicely alongside Nixon and never be asked to play 5 technique here. Probably gets pulled in 3rd and long situations in favor of nascar packages.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
IMO good but not great player. Will benefit a lot playing alongside better teammates and concentrating on one position at Iowa. A little coaching up, effort and size are there. Will fit in nicely alongside Nixon and never be asked to play 5 technique here. Probably gets pulled in 3rd and long situations in favor of nascar packages.
PFF graded him as the 9th best interior dlineman in the nation...

Reactions: HumbleP1e
He was 2nd team all MAC, so it's not like he's an absolute immense talent and gamechanger. But he is very experienced, has size, experience, and despite it being the MAC it is still D1 and he has shown capable of playing at an all-conference level. I believe our coaches and Doyle will take him up a level. I'm glad to have him at Iowa.

PFF graded him as the 9th best interior dlineman in the nation...

It's a matter of one's definition of "good" vs "great"

I wouldn't put the label of "great" on him because I doubt he's an All-American, 1st team All-BIG, or selected in the first two rounds of the NFL draft. He can be a solid contributor for a good Big Ten program, that happens to also be a perfect fit for him....nothing negative there.

I honestly expected better. He basically fell down the first two times he had a shot at Martinez. Then he completely vacated and made the hole that Mills ran through on the fifthish play.

Plug him in spot duty at DT and coach him up. I think we can get him performing well in a non starting roll. Assess his strongest points and put him in situationally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT