ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Nunge a year later

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
Is it just me or does Nunge look much bigger? Filled out really well. Says he is much stronger. Nunge is the one player I am really interested in watching early on this season.

With Pemsl in limbo is it right to expect a solid 20-25 min. per game?

As a recruit, one of the skills I really liked about Nunge was his shot blocking ability. I really hope he can bring some of that on defense this year.

Redshirting was a smart move, and he's clearly put in the work. He's a breakout candidate. And like OP said, if he can be a rim protector that would be huge.

Sounds like Pemsl should be back at practice next week. He'll probably miss 1-2 games, which isn't a lot but would give Nunge a clear shot at locking down the starting PF spot. 20 or so min a game for Jack sounds about right.

Sounds like he gained 20-25 good lbs.
I just hope he can guard the power forwards in the league.
Some pretty athletic bigs like Jalen Smith of Md., Tillison of MSU, ect.
He needs to be quicker defensively with Luka next to him. Two slow-footed bigs side by side could be fatal for our defense.

One of great things about college BBall is the new faces. Freshman year Jack was weak as a kitten but also kind of light on his feet when matched up against comparably sized opponents. Good post moves, nice shooting stroke for a big guy with above average results. Weak rebounder and inside defender. Those weaknesses can be offset through size and experience. Jack has added the size.

Significant improvement for either Jack or Cordell is essential. One of those two guys has to be ready to play heavy minutes and crunch time minutes at a quality level.

One of great things about college BBall is the new faces. Freshman year Jack was weak as a kitten but also kind of light on his feet when matched up against comparably sized opponents. Good post moves, nice shooting stroke for a big guy with above average results. Weak rebounder and inside defender. Those weaknesses can be offset through size and experience. Jack has added the size.

Significant improvement for either Jack or Cordell is essential. One of those two guys has to be ready to play heavy minutes and crunch time minutes at a quality level.

I think Nunge's biggest weaknesses were his upper body strength, and lack of aggression as a freshman. Hopefully the improvement in strength will solve both issues. He demonstrated some nice skills as a freshman.

If we don't see one of Pemsl, Nunge, or Kriener really make a huge step forward, Fran might have to reinvent his system with primarily guards and Garza.

Is it just me or does Nunge look much bigger? Filled out really well. Says he is much stronger. Nunge is the one player I am really interested in watching early on this season.

As a recruit, one of the skills I really liked about Nunge was his shot blocking ability. I really hope he can bring some of that on defense this year.

Nunge looks huge, he is not a 3.

Anyone remember how many games Jok missed after his OWI? I'm thinking none, or maybe a half, but I'm not certain. I think Pemsl will have whatever PJ had. Regardless, I think Nunge starts. Skilled player, now has a BIG body to go with it, and won't be playing the 3.

I wish there was a side by side picture.....putting on 20 pounds of muscle is a big deal for Jack....but I honestly have a hard time seeing a "big" difference in these recent pictures....not saying I'm right, just don't notice a HUGE difference.

I wish there was a side by side picture.....putting on 20 pounds of muscle is a big deal for Jack....but I honestly have a hard time seeing a "big" difference in these recent pictures....not saying I'm right, just don't notice a HUGE difference.

Adding 20 pounds onto a 7 foot frame might not add a great deal of size. It would probably be more noticeable in definition than bulk.

Reactions: perryhawk
I thought Nunge displayed a number of skills as a frosh. I really hope he developed a killer attitude during his time off.
As did I. Just thought he lacked confidence, because he wasn't ready for the physicality of conference play, but he certainly has some skills for a 6-11 or so forward. Wouldn't be at all surprised for him to make a big splash this season, maybe 2nd team all BIG.

This. I hope we are finally done having to play guys out of position.

For this Iowa team to be good, I don't see how Iowa is good unless Nunge is the 4 and is a good player. He brings something to the position that Pemsl just does not. He's taller, a better defender and a perimeter threat. If he's a good 3-point shooter, it spaces the floor well for Garza and allows Iowa to be a lot more versatile on offense. Pemsl and Kriener both obviously play a lot too.

Anyone remember how many games Jok missed after his OWI? I'm thinking none, or maybe a half, but I'm not certain. I think Pemsl will have whatever PJ had. Regardless, I think Nunge starts. Skilled player, now has a BIG body to go with it, and won't be playing the 3.
I don't think Jok missed any games, but IIRC his DUI was on a moped.

He is at least one inch taller as well. He is darn near seven feet tall.

Googling pictures of Jack Nunge, there is differently a big difference between his senior high school pictures and what he is now. But looking at pictures of his freshman year to now, there is not enough evidence to see that much of a change. Maybe someone else can see the difference but there's no pictures that show him just standing in front of a camera to make much of a comparison.

Based on pictures from yesterday, Jack doesn't look that much bigger, but hopefully he is much stronger, and hasn't lost any quickness. Pemsl will apparently be back at practice next week. Go Hawks!

Reactions: perryhawk and JAMAM
I remember a year and a half ago that Fran announced he was going to add some muscle to his players. I saw no evidence of that last year. I actually have to say this year(from internet pictures) it does look like the players are bigger muscularly.

Reactions: JAMAM
As did I. Just thought he lacked confidence, because he wasn't ready for the physicality of conference play, but he certainly has some skills for a 6-11 or so forward. Wouldn't be at all surprised for him to make a big splash this season, maybe 2nd team all BIG.

Jack Nunge all B1G?! Wow Hawk fans absolutely love this guy (I guess nobody remembers him vs Michigan in the B1G tourney in 2018). Add me as highly doubtful Nunge is an all conference player this season.

Reactions: Legend12
Sometimes photos are deceptive, but in the media day photos, Nunge is clearly the tallest player on the team. He looks 1-2" taller than Luka and 3-4" taller than Kriener. He definitely has filled out some, but hasn't "bulked up." Like others, I saw a lot of promise when he played as a freshman, especially when he was playing around the basket, which didn't happen enough because he was playing out of position. I expect him to be our best shot blocker and be quicker than Luka or Kriener guarding the basket. Offensively, I am looking forward to seeing how he will be used. We might be able to take advantage of his size around the basket against teams that don't play to bruisers. I am maybe too optimistic about Nunge's future (3 more years):)

How great would it be if Jack would develop into a 7', 250 lb. long power forward, with a nasty attitude, who was equally adept at attacking the basket and knocking down long jumpers?

Well, I can dream, can't I?

He will never have Cook's raw athleticism, but I hope Nunge will be a lot better defensive player than Cook, and a much more versatile offensive player.
This. Jack may not be able to explode for a monster dunk like Cook, but I think he'll be plenty athletic, and more skilled then Cook. Kinda reminds me of a quote by Caldwell Jones when he and Darrell Dawkins were playing for the Sixers. He was joking about how Chocolate Thunder would sky up by the top of the backboard and pull down a monster rebound. The crowd would be all a buzz about his freaky athletic play. After the game you would look at the box score, and you would see Dawkins, rebounds 1. Not trying to dog on Tyler, but seriously for his physical tools he was not a very consistently good rebounder, and was a turnover machine with the ball in his hands, way to often.

Jack Nunge all B1G?! Wow Hawk fans absolutely love this guy (I guess nobody remembers him vs Michigan in the B1G tourney in 2018). Add me as highly doubtful Nunge is an all conference player this season.

I remember the Michigan game, he played 8 minutes.

Sometimes photos are deceptive, but in the media day photos, Nunge is clearly the tallest player on the team. He looks 1-2" taller than Luka and 3-4" taller than Kriener. He definitely has filled out some, but hasn't "bulked up." Like others, I saw a lot of promise when he played as a freshman, especially when he was playing around the basket, which didn't happen enough because he was playing out of position. I expect him to be our best shot blocker and be quicker than Luka or Kriener guarding the basket. Offensively, I am looking forward to seeing how he will be used. We might be able to take advantage of his size around the basket against teams that don't play to bruisers. I am maybe too optimistic about Nunge's future (3 more years):)
Maybe he will make all conference and turn pro.

So instead base him on one game as a true freshman? If we look at one game sample size you could say Tyler Cook was horrible based on the Cincinnati game. Or since Legend "liked" this we could base Jacobson's abilities on getting wrecked by Wesson. Did Jacobson even score in the tournament?

Maybe look at the fact that Nunge started over Garza and played more minutes than Kriener as a freshman. The talent is there. I've seen him this year in practice. He'll be good.

So instead base him on one game as a true freshman? If we look at one game sample size you could say Tyler Cook was horrible based on the Cincinnati game. Or since Legend "liked" this we could base Jacobson's abilities on getting wrecked by Wesson. Did Jacobson even score in the tournament?

Maybe look at the fact that Nunge started over Garza and played more minutes than Kriener as a freshman. The talent is there. I've seen him this year in practice. He'll be good.

Your wasting your time as well as I am, trying to convince most posters on here that this years team will not take a step back solely on the premise that Iowa lost Cook, Moss, Dailey, and Baer. Posters on here are intent to give no credence to the returning players improving or the newcomers good enough to hold their own jock strap up. So be it.
The season will be here soon enough, it won't be long before the truth unfolds.

Better hope he's good because I've seen this situation before. Player X gets hyped up big time during the offseason, comes out & is not so great, then the fanbase & this board start shitting all over him because he doesn't live up to their ridiculous expectations. All I'm saying is pump the brakes on Nunge, we've seen how stupid people get when a player (Cook) doesn't get 30-10 because he was supposed to be great.

I haven't seen any practices l, so I'll take your word that Jack
Your wasting your time as well as I am, trying to convince most posters on here that this years team will not take a step back solely on the premise that Iowa lost Cook, Moss, Dailey, and Baer. Posters on here are intent to give no credence to the returning players improving or the newcomers good enough to hold their own jock strap up. So be it.
The season will be here soon enough, it won't be long before the truth unfolds.

I think the Hawks should be about the same as last season, fighting for a 7-10 seed in the tourney. But I don't know enough about the new guys yet. I love Pat McCaffrey's highlight video, and I'm higher on him than most. I'm definitely lower on Nunge than most (all?) but looking forward to this season, and seeing if Wieskamp can be the star.

Reactions: BBHawk
Let’s all agree, Jack had no business playing 8 minutes in that game against Michigan (2018 big tourney). I felt bad for him. Fish out of water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT