ADVERTISEMENT

)))"He not gone" Jacobs All in on Iowa!(((

I am usually optimistic, but I am guessing he hasn’t actually been offered by OSU...which might be optimistic?

I of course have no bloody clue.

I think Iowa's rep for producing NFL LB is a huge selling point. Guys like Greenway, Kirksey and Hitchens have made their mark and it's paying off

Reactions: hwk23
I am usually optimistic, but I am guessing he hasn’t actually been offered by OSU...which might be optimistic?

I believe he has been offered by OSU. Maybe it is conditional, or whatever the Buckeyes use to string kids along.

He was in Columbus for the UM game Saturday. Tonight, after three Iowa coaches visited him, he said “Yes, I am still solidly committed to Iowa.” That's not bad at all.

I’ll be honest — JJ is probably the best LB recruit I’ve seen Iowa have a chance at since Kyle Williams.

I would really REALLY really love to see him honor that commitment and play in black and gold on Saturday.

I truly think we coach the LB position better than OSU.

That sounds awesome....but without the vicious sexual assaults please.

I’ll be honest — JJ is probably the best LB recruit I’ve seen Iowa have a chance at since Kyle Williams.

I would really REALLY really love to see him honor that commitment and play in black and gold on Saturday.

We don't have a game on Saturday. The season ended last Friday....well, except for our bowl game, but I don't think he will be eligible to play in that.

After seeing that ohio state defenses absolutely stopped no one this year, i would have to agree that iowa coaches the defensive side of the ball much better then tOSU.

Last edited:
I believe he has been offered by OSU. Maybe it is conditional, or whatever the Buckeyes use to string kids along.

He was in Columbus for the UM game Saturday. Tonight, after three Iowa coaches visited him, he said “Yes, I am still solidly committed to Iowa.” That's not bad at all.
Oh, I know. It is just hard for me to wrap my mind around an Ohio kid (whose brother isn’t playing at Iowa) would stick with the Hawks. By all means, I hope OSU all in on him, and sticks with Iowa.

Maybe he told Kirk that he wanted watch a heated rivalry at The Shoe, told Kirk that he’s not flipping, and KF told him to have a good time.
I think that's what I was saying, because we didn't hear the normal fall out that Iowa is pulling it's offer for a commit visiting another school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbinger273

Jeremiha Hunter maybe?

Reactions: natewantofbees
We have what seems like a long time (in the recruiting world) before he enrolls in January. Got to get this wicked tuna landed! Man would this be the best news of the early off season. I guess I should take him at his word and just believe that indeed he is fully onboard.

Jacobs looks like a great athlete but I wouldn't get too excited about him stepping right the field any time soon. From what I've seen on film he, like most H.S. LBs hasn't been taught any technique or how to read anything, that's why it's rare for a young LB at Iowa to step on the field and be successful. It takes most of them a couple years to figure it out, if they ever figure it out. I think that's Amani Jones's issue. Jacobs, like most H.S. LB's looks like he just follows the football around trying to use his athleticism unless they give him a gap or lane to blitz. That doesn't translate well to Iowa's defensive scheme. If he can learn it fast, he could be an impact player in a couple years.

Jacobs looks like a great athlete but I wouldn't get too excited about him stepping right the field any time soon. From what I've seen on film he, like most H.S. LBs hasn't been taught any technique or how to read anything, that's why it's rare for a young LB at Iowa to step on the field and be successful. It takes most of them a couple years to figure it out, if they ever figure it out. I think that's Amani Jones's issue. Jacobs, like most H.S. LB's looks like he just follows the football around trying to use his athleticism unless they give him a gap or lane to blitz. That doesn't translate well to Iowa's defensive scheme. If he can learn it fast, he could be an impact player in a couple years.

I think he’ll be a great one. We’ve had some great young backers take the field early. Comparing him to Jones is ridiculous. Even look over at ISU and that fresh backer there that’s a stud.

Reactions: Harbinger273
As an OSU fan, I don't think he will be in our class unless he decides to take an official visit to OSU. That could change things. Right now I think he signs with Iowa.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk

There have been LB's who played early in their careers. Jewell started 4 games as a redshirt freshman and you know the rest. Kirksey played in 10 games as a true freshman, mostly on special teams. Morris started 6 games as a true freshman (mostly due to injuries). If Jacobs came, his likely path to early playing time is on special teams.

There have been LB's who played early in their careers. Jewell started 4 games as a redshirt freshman and you know the rest. Kirksey played in 10 games as a true freshman, mostly on special teams. Morris started 6 games as a true freshman (mostly due to injuries). If Jacobs came, his likely path to early playing time is on special teams.
FWIW, Jacobs has risen in the rankings to the number 5 player in Ohio. Swift and deadly. :D

We have what seems like a long time (in the recruiting world) before he enrolls in January. Got to get this wicked tuna landed! Man would this be the best news of the early off season. I guess I should take him at his word and just believe that indeed he is fully onboard.
He enrolls in January but sigining day is much sooner. Dec 19th and that is the date that matters.

I believe I mentioned that. Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me? Those are the rarities that I mentioned. I was talking about stepping on the field as 'a LB'.
Doyle is probably the best prepared to play among our young LB's because I have no doubt he's been taught the Iowa 'system' for years and he's physically ready (he better be). Now, does he have the 'instinct' and the desire?
Once again, Jacobs looks like an athletic freak, but there's nothing in his film that screams "I'm ready to play LB in the B1G." But if he can learn the system, his reads, put on muscle and get a heck of lot stronger, he could be an impact player in a couple years.

And I've got no bloody clue, either, but I could see Jestin on the field for the
Iowa Hawkeyes, next fall.

GO HAWKS !!! :)

I think he’ll be a great one. We’ve had some great young backers take the field early. Comparing him to Jones is ridiculous. Even look over at ISU and that fresh backer there that’s a stud.
We forced some young LB's onto the field through attrition when they were young and not ready to play and they didn't have 'great success' until they were upper classmen. Doesn't everyone remember all you yahoos going off on Iowa playing Morris as freshmen (throwing him and some other young LB's to the wolves as you guys said) and you yahoos going off on how bad our LB's were when Jewell, Niemann and Bower were RSFr. and Sophs??? Yeah, I know Niemann didn't redshirt but I hope you get the point. Good lord, it was non-stop, but now you have revised history that these guys were 'successful' when they were young. Good grief.

Iowa St. was really thin at LB so Rose played and he has shown flashes at times but has been very inconsistent, which is to be expected from a freshman.

How in the sam hill did you conclude that I compared Jacobs to Jones??? I simply stated a premise as to why I think Jones is struggling. Wow, just wow. I can't even wrap my head around that spurious logic.

I am glad we are finally in a position that we don't have to throw Fr. and RSFr. to the wolves at LB as we have skilled, experienced people spread out through the classes. I can't remember the last time we had that luxury. Next year we will have 2 seniors (Welch, Jones), 2 juniors (Niemann, Wade), a sophomore (Colbert) and a RSFr. (Doyle) among our top 6 with some youngsters pushing these folks (RSFr. McDonald, Benson, etc...). That's a lot more like it should look every year. Jacobs and Campbell are probably both going to be good ones, and it's great that they get a couple years to get their bodies B1G ready (Jacobs body is not even close) and to learn the systems and reads so that when they do take the field, they will look like they know what the hell they are doing and MAKE PLAYS.

Reactions: cmhawks99
And I've got no bloody clue, either, but I could see Jestin on the field for the
Iowa Hawkeyes, next fall.

GO HAWKS !!! :)
On special teams? The kid is 6'4 and weighs 210 lbs. He is a great athlete, but his body is no where near B1G ready. He won't see the field at LB I can assure you. I watched his film, he doesn't even know how to PLAY LB right now. He just runs around being an athlete and blitzing half the time.

And the word about Jewell was he was making noise as a true freshman before breaking his hand in camp.

On special teams? The kid is 6'4 and weighs 210 lbs. He is a great athlete, but his body is no where near B1G ready. He won't see the field at LB I can assure you. I watched his film, he doesn't even know how to PLAY LB right now. He just runs around being an athlete and blitzing half the time.

You are insufferable.

Reactions: Hawksoxfan
He enrolls in January but sigining day is much sooner. Dec 19th and that is the date that matters.

Is Ohio State willing to take him for January enrollment? Perhaps that is a big factor if he sticks with Iowa.

This guy's recruiting rise reminds me of Sean Lee with Iowa being in early but Penn State jumping in late to grab the in-state recruit. The coaching staff deserves kudo's on this one for getting in early. If he flips late, that is just the way the system usually works.

With his frame and age his body will be completely different from the time he enrolls, if early, to the time fall camp starts. I imagine he'll also be able to learn a lot about playing LB in that period of time

Like I said in another thread about him, I just think he wanted to go see the OSU vs. Michigan game up close and personal. Who wouldn't! Especially a kid from Ohio.

I wonder how it compared to Iowa vs tOSU from last season as I believe he was in attendance for that wild, raucous, beat down of the Bucks.

Reactions: cheerscoach
I believe I mentioned that. Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me? Those are the rarities that I mentioned. I was talking about stepping on the field as 'a LB'.
Doyle is probably the best prepared to play among our young LB's because I have no doubt he's been taught the Iowa 'system' for years and he's physically ready (he better be). Now, does he have the 'instinct' and the desire?
Once again, Jacobs looks like an athletic freak, but there's nothing in his film that screams "I'm ready to play LB in the B1G." But if he can learn the system, his reads, put on muscle and get a heck of lot stronger, he could be an impact player in a couple years.

I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing, just the guys I could remember off the top of my head who played early in their careers at LB. The position is tough (duh) as you need the physicality of a full-grown man to take on blocks and tackle people with the smarts/savvy to diagnose plays. But Iowa generally hasn't had an athlete of his caliber at LB, so perhaps he could be an exception.

I wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing, just the guys I could remember off the top of my head who played early in their careers at LB. The position is tough (duh) as you need the physicality of a full-grown man to take on blocks and tackle people with the smarts/savvy to diagnose plays. But Iowa generally hasn't had an athlete of his caliber at LB, so perhaps he could be an exception.
Yeah, Iowa generally doesn't get ready made LBs so it isn't a surprise guys don't play immediately as true freshman. So I don't think looking to the past is any indication on whether Jacobs could play. Although, I don't think he will start but you never know what could happen once he gets on campus.

He is probably the only 4 star Army All American Iowa has gotten under Ferentz.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallyhawkster
Um....I don't think he will at LB. He could break into special teams. We'll see.

Not trying to be argumentative here but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.... our own fans routinely perpetuate the national media belief that Iowa isnt overly athletic. Yet we have had about 20 straight Lbers run high 4.5 to high 4.6 forty times. For those that don’t follow NFL combine and Pro Days like I do, that correlates very well with all the “speed” teams.

The “slow” un-athletic Bo Bower ran a 4.57 and the slow 2 star Ben Niemann ran a 4.6. For comparison their were only 10Lbers at the combine that ran 4.6 or better.

Point being he’d have to be damn near a world class athlete to be way more athletic than what we’ve had....

For those who have forgotten Tarpinian ran a low 4.5, Kirksey ran 4.5s, Ed Miles ran 4.5s, Greenway..4.5s and a battalion of low 4.6s..

And more important than that they have typically always had great shuttle & pro agility times.

Last edited:
Not trying to be argumentative here but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.... our own fans routinely perpetuate the national media beliefe that Iowa isnt overly athletic. Yet we have had about 20 straight Lbers run high 4.5 to high 4.6 forty times. For those that don’t follow NFL combine and Pro Days like I do, that correlates very well with all the “speed” teams.

The “slow” un-athletic Bo Bower ran a 4.57 and the slow 2 star Ben Niemann ran a 4.6. For comparison their were only 10Lbers at the combine that ran 4.6 or better.

Point being he’d have to be damn near a world class athlete to be way more athletic than what we’ve had....

For those who have forgotten Tarpinian ran a low 4.5, Kirksey ran 4.5s, Ed Miles ran 4.5s, Greenway..4.5s and a battalion of low 4.6s..

And more important than that they have typically always had great shuttle & pro agility times.
Greenway ran like high 4.7's at the combine. Don't know bout others besides Bo and neimann which I believe you have correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT