ADVERTISEMENT

)))"He not gone" Jacobs All in on Iowa!(((

If that’s the case his offer would be gone now. He visited OSU after committing to Iowa.
When he visited Ohio State earlier it was an unnoficial not an official visit.

I expect it soon to come out he either decommits aka Iowa pulled the offer.

Tom or Blair will you confirm or deny on here that Iowa’s usual policy is that they do not allow commits to make official visits

This issue has been talked about numerous times on those Iowa podcasts.

Listen to the latest Hawkeyereport podcast that was released today. Tom at the 44 minute mark “if he goes on an official visit he is done.”

Which is not shocking because if you’ve ever heard the coaches on this topic they have been very clear on it.
That is what Tom said. He also said that if it is not an official visit they make exceptions. But I am pretty sure that the staff has made exceptions even if the commit makes an official visit.

To me, it sounds like it depends on the commit and how much that they would hate to lose them. If the commit has been wishy washy the whole time or hasn’t been completely honest with the staff, they might cut him loose(example: Eno Benjamin). If they really like a commit, and it is late in the process, they might let him visit even though they don’t really like it. The staff doesn’t want Jacobs to visit, but it sounds like he is taking an official to Ohio State this weekend. And it sounds like the coaches are not cutting ties yet. I would guess that the coaches will know what Jacobs is doing after this weekend. I am sure that the coaches also have other recruits that they are looking at if Jacobs were to commit to Ohio State.

That is what Tom said. He also said that if it is not an official visit they make exceptions. But I am pretty sure that the staff has made exceptions even if the commit makes an official visit.

To me, it sounds like it depends on the commit and how much that they would hate to lose them. If the commit has been wishy washy the whole time or hasn’t been completely honest with the staff, they might cut him loose(example: Eno Benjamin). If they really like a commit, and it is late in the process, they might let him visit even though they don’t really like it. The staff doesn’t want Jacobs to visit, but it sounds like he is taking an official to Ohio State this weekend. And it sounds like the coaches are not cutting ties yet. I would guess that the coaches will know what Jacobs is doing after this weekend. I am sure that the coaches also have other recruits that they are looking at if Jacobs were to commit to Ohio State.

Ding ding, you nailed it... it has happened before. Just like all the rest of the things people just refuse to believe.

Reactions: HawkFan59

And I think that is the way it should be played. But I’ve also heard Coach Bell talk saying once you commit they expect you to be committed and not take any other official visits.

I hope they don’t cut ties because he’d probably be the best player so far in this recruiting class. But I also have a hard time seeing Kirk giving special exceptions to certain players.

And I think that is the way it should be played. But I’ve also heard Coach Bell talk saying once you commit they expect you to be committed and not take any other official visits.

I hope they don’t cut ties because he’d probably be the best player so far in this recruiting class. But I also have a hard time seeing Kirk giving special exceptions to certain players.

I’ve also heard Coach Bell talk about it and he is one of about 100 coaches that has said the same thing. He also doesn’t expound further. I’ve heard Phil & Kirk both talk about open communication.

You honestly think there are coaches out there that are saying… “Yeah commit to us but go ahead and look around until you decide for sure what you want to do”

I mean that doesn’t even sound plausible. In fact if people found out that’s what our coaches were doing and losing recruits right and left theyd have a problem with “that”.. it’s not an archaic process.

And honestly, defensively our evaluation skills and ability to bring in talent regardless of rank is unparalleled. I’m certainly not going to say he’s the best because quite frankly more often than not the best is someone no one ever considered.

With that said I very much hope We get him.

Kirk isn’t stupid and isn’t as hard headed as some fans believe.

What Coach Bell and other Iowa coaches have said is true - if the recruit commits to Iowa they don’t want him taking other visits. When a player commits to the Hawkeyes the coaches also commit to the player that they will not recruit over them. So, if the coaches quit actively talking to other recruits at that position, it is not fair for the commit to keep looking around. If the commit wants to continue to look around, the coaches would encourage them to take their visits and only commit when they have decided that Iowa is right for them.

He was supposed to decommit when he got the OSU offer. He was supposed to decommit when he took the unofficial visit. The kid is supposed to enroll early wherever he goes. There's 2 weeks till signing day. That'd be one hell of an upheaval of his previous plans.

I'll believe he's gone when it comes from his own mouth.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Tom or Blair will you confirm or deny on here that Iowa’s usual policy is that they do not allow commits to make official visits
Here is his official offer letter according to this his offer was to be pulled after his unofficial visit

What Coach Bell and other Iowa coaches have said is true - if the recruit commits to Iowa they don’t want him taking other visits. When a player commits to the Hawkeyes the coaches also commit to the player that they will not recruit over them. So, if the coaches quit actively talking to other recruits at that position, it is not fair for the commit to keep looking around. If the commit wants to continue to look around, the coaches would encourage them to take their visits and only commit when they have decided that Iowa is right for them.

This. Good post.

First of all, it is good to see you posting here. You are truly one of the good guys I miss from the Lounge.
It would take a long time to go back and research all the players that have had their offers pulled for taking visits after they committed. It would be a long list. The reality of the situation is that the coaches need to be recruiting any given position until signing day. Offers and commitments are meaningless until there is a contract. There is shuffling every year in the days leading up to signing day and especially on signing day. Iowa always has fallback recruits waiting in the wings in case a commit flips. The staff knows these guys because they have been in contact with them previously. The coaches absolutely do continue to recruit after someone commits. They are currently doing that at RB after stating repeatedly they only had room for one RB this year.
Translation: do away with "signing day" and allow kids to sign any time after the end of their junior year.

After reading Jestin was a life long buckeye fan, thinking about distance his family would drive and then hearing he was visiting for the OSU - Michigan game, I pretty much felt he was gone.

Very few kids keep a commitment when the blue bloods come a knocking.

Urban leaving could cause him to tap the brakes because you can be assured Day will make changes in the defense. The Buckeye defense was not good. I'm sure Davis the LBer coach will be let go. He was Urban's buddy. If Jestin stays with the Hawks, he'll know what he is getting.

Expect the worse and hope for the best, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: cmhawks99
IT is simple he keeps lying to the Iowa staff by saying he is firmly committed to them, it is easy to say nothing but a liar waiting for OSU to offer so he could commit to them

First of all, it is good to see you posting here. You are truly one of the good guys I miss from the Lounge.
It would take a long time to go back and research all the players that have had their offers pulled for taking visits after they committed. It would be a long list. The reality of the situation is that the coaches need to be recruiting any given position until signing day. Offers and commitments are meaningless until there is a contract. There is shuffling every year in the days leading up to signing day and especially on signing day. Iowa always has fallback recruits waiting in the wings in case a commit flips. The staff knows these guys because they have been in contact with them previously. The coaches absolutely do continue to recruit after someone commits. They are currently doing that at RB after stating repeatedly they only had room for one RB this year.
Translation: do away with "signing day" and allow kids to sign any time after the end of their junior year.
Thanks, grayhair.

Yes, Iowa always has fallback recruits waiting in the wings. The difference is that they let the fallbacks know that they are full at the position at the moment, but if anything changes that they are interested in that recruit. If they are full at a position, but have a chance to sign another player that they like better, they don’t go ahead and sign the better player and pull the offer from the previous commit. And even that is not absolute. They did pull the offer for a quarterback recruit a few years ago. It is a tough business.

Same as Higdon several years ago. Flew to Ann Arbor two days before signing day.

Commitment is a powerful word. I was always taught, integrity and keeping your word is really the only thing you have. Once that goes away, so does your honor.

Tough decision for the young man, sad that OSU's earlier targets go somewhere else so they then go after committed players to other programs. Unfortunately we will probably offer a two star, which I will gladly take if it will always be a Josey Jewell.

I will say again, Jacobs has yet to decommit.

If he does, I'll eat crow fair and square, but the fact that he remains committed AND in open, constant contact with the Iowa coaches about his visit makes me believe that this is nothing more than a free trip paid for by OSU, and Jacobs will still sign with Iowa. Rob Howe of HN doesn't seem very concerned about Jacobs' status.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Tommy Eichenberg, the LB who just committed to OSU will play MLB. Jacobs is an OLB.

Well if the kid is going to decommit I'm guessing it will be announced right after visiting osu I'm hoping we will know something long before signing day

Tommy Eichenberg, the LB who just committed to OSU will play MLB. Jacobs is an OLB.

Eichenberg may grow into a DE before it's all said and done and Cade Stover, the other 4 Star LB committed may also grow into a DE, but there are rumors that he may not sign on the 19th and is going to play the waiting game, which tells me that Day will be moving on from Bill Davis as the Linebacker coach.....:)

Eichenberg may grow into a DE before it's all said and done and Cade Stover, the other 4 Star LB committed may also grow into a DE, but there are rumors that he may not sign on the 19th and is going to play the waiting game, which tells me that Day will be moving on from Bill Davis as the Linebacker coach.....:)
Wouldn't mind seeing Marcus Freeman named as LB coach. I know he is also DC for the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Wouldn't mind seeing Marcus Freeman named as LB coach. I know he is also DC for the Cincinnati Bearcats.

That would be nice, but I think that would be a step backwards in his career...unless they would get rid of Schiano and make Freeman co-DC with Grinch.

I don't know if we had chance to keep Eno, but he turned out to be a guy worth holding back a scholly instead of cutting loose. This OSU kid blew up into stud, so yeah, he probably gone and Iowa probably has to offer some fallback.

tosu continues to get commitments at the LB position as we approach the early signing period. Some have discussed Eichenberg (the most recent commit) as a future DL. Do they still have actual need for another LB in the class or not? I hope things work out in the Hawks favor with Jacobs. Jacobs will become the player he has the potential to be at Iowa. I know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT