ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Christensen

What happened there?

Watching the MSU game...he played big school Illinois football, right? NFL legacy if I remember right. He just never improved, and I don't understand even 12-13 years later. He was quick, strong armed, smart...coaches had success with other QBs. I'm okay with it being a struggle. But, I don't get how it just never came together. Anyone have insight?
He couldn’t handle the pressure and would lose his composure.

He (Christensen) didn't play after the Pitt game. That was the final chance he got to play. 2008 season played out as follows:

Iowa sees Stanzi is pushing Christensen/maybe is even better than him in pre-season camp. So Stanzi plays early and often against Florida International and Maine. Iowa wins easily both games. They go ahead and start Stanzi against Iowa State, the first real team Iowa has played to that point. Stanzi is awful against Iowa State in the rain, going 5-14 with 2 interceptions. Christensen goes 4-5, doesn't turn it over, hands off to Greene for a TD and Brodell returns a punt for a TD and Iowa wins.

So they start Christensen against Pitt, both he and Stanzi play. Stanzi was better, Christensen was given the second half as pretty much his last stand. He wasn't very good, so they went with Stanzi from then forward.

Stanzi promptly proceeded to play so-so against Northwestern and MSU, both losses. Iowa had 17 points against Northwestern and 13 against MSU. But Iowa stuck with him, and Iowa ended up winning 6 of the last 7, including the take down of Penn State and the bowl win over South Carolina.

In retrospect, Iowa probably should have just ripped off the scab and named Stanzi the starter from the beginning of the season. But that is tough to do when you have a starter returning who started every game the previous year and took a beating behind a bad OL and a very young skill position group. Iowa definitely COULD have won the Pitt game if Stanzi had played the whole time. But it's also very likely that Iowa loses the ISU game if Stanzi plays the whole game.

I suppose there are player personnel decisions that KF could have handled better. I really don't know, and that's not a cop out. The coaches literally see every second of practice, camp, etc. It's in their best interests to put players on the field who give the team the best chance to win. That is why they trusted their own eyes in practice and gave Stanzi equal time in the first 2 games of the season, where he played better. So they gave him a start against Iowa State, where he played miserably. Not a shocker as it was the first real team he played against. I've only coached a much lower levels (high school) but it always fascinated me that people outside the team could think that guys who weren't playing as much were just being overlooked. That does happen I'm sure from time to time, coaches are human too. But the players themselves know who the best players are. Coaches lose trust if they don't play the best guys.

Nicely done. Most fans believe that Stanzi was obviously better early that season and KF was playing favorites ... again. They seem to forget a lot of what you have posted, plus by Stanzi's own admission he wasn't very serious about football the year before.

Senior FT starter the year before vs. Soph party guy the year before. Stanzi had some stuff to overcome to earn the starting job.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
Clearly, Jake's problems started when they made him cut his hair. Then, one of the coaches said something that hurt his feelings. It was all downhill after that.:rolleyes:

What is this strong arm take? He had the weakest arm of any Iowa QB going back at least 35 years

I think he had a mechanical problem that made him
Inconsistent With some passes. He tended to throw short passes Into the ground. That made his arm look weak but it really was not that weak. Grant you he did not a have a Stanley type arm either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT