ADVERTISEMENT

Jake leaving... Could it expose the real problem?

TxMonk

Rookie
Dec 20, 2006
Sorry to see relationship with Jake end this way. From the opportunities we had to see the two- he had less physical ability. What I wonder- if he signs with Michigan or someone else and looks good... will anyone realize Davis's call playing was the problem? Hard to show what you can do when no receivers go farther than 7 yards down field??? Just a thought...

I'm going to laugh endlessly when he is Russell Wilson 2.0. Sure he has a weakish arm, but meh why not!?

He was a stretch to be a solid BIG quarterback out of high school. The problem is this staff's poor evaluation of talent and what if takes to succeed at this level. Wish him the best of luck.

Originally posted by halo1427:
I'm going to laugh endlessly when he is Russell Wilson 2.0. Sure he has a weakish arm, but meh why not!?
It will be interesting to see whether Jake can excel when he is playing for a good coach. Or, in the alternative, we may find out that the coaching wasn't the problem. Like I said, it will be interesting to watch.

Yes, if there is a real problem, this incident could in fact expose it. If he does well at another school, and excels, then you have reason to wonder.

How CJ does will be another way to measure this. Does he improve from last year(HE SHOULD), how is he going to be coached to play? Is he going to be allowed some room to make his own decisions, and look to throw downfield more? Or is he going to be taught to keep the passes short and tight like it seemed JR was taught?

At this point, no one really knows.

I will say though as far as talent evaluation goes,...you have to wonder why Sokol didn't seemingly get a better chance at taking over after Vandy had left. He did quite well at LA Tech, and he was taken in as a JUCO. You would have to believe there was something the coaches liked, but he seemingly was overlooked for Jake. Why? is what I want to know.

Also, it is well known that KF was in JC's corner before Stanzi finally got the starting job. Many said that O'keefe had to make the push for it.

There might have been some exposure already.

I doubt it. All I heard last year is we win at least 2 more games if CJ is starting. Now if CJ is starting it shows that KF and GD are the problem.

Our fans are the problem. That's why we play better on the road. We don't have D1 fans.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

I doubt it. All I heard last year is we win at least 2 more games if CJ is starting. Now if CJ is starting it shows that KF and GD are the problem.

Our fans are the problem. That's why we play better on the road. We don't have D1 fans.
True, we don't have great fans like you who don't go to games and will decide if they want to watch the game off the DVR once they get back from fishing. That is exactly what kind of D1 fans we need.

How do I put this nicely......you are not smart.

I wonder how many other schools have had their starting quarterback transfer with a year of eligibility left, not once but twice. There is a problem all right, at the top.

Originally posted by FG86:
I wonder how many other schools have had their starting quarterback transfer with a year of eligibility left, not once but twice. There is a problem all right, at the top.
Who's the other QB you speak of? JC? He had lost the starting job in the beginning of the season, and he definitely wasn't as good as Stanzi. Is there someone else I'm not thinking of?

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
Who's the other QB you speak of? JC? He had lost the starting job in the beginning of the season, and he definitely wasn't as good as Stanzi. Is there someone else I'm not thinking of?
Yes JC. He was still a starter. And don't you think there seems to be a trend? Why are they starting the one who isn't as good? Remember Jeff C. was all mad, like CJB's dad. Kirk never wanted to start Stanzi but KOK won out one of the few times.

This, you nailed it.

Interesting spin - I kind of assumed they transferred (or may transfer) because they weren't the starters. Thanks for the clarification.

Cody Sokol transferred because he wasn't going to play here.
Jake Rudock is transferring because he wants to play his Senior year.
CJ was going to transfer if he didn't play.

See the common denominator?

Funny how many want to always blame the OC. Now it's Gregg Davis; Before it was Ken O'Keefe. Has anyone considered that a coaching staff that sees both quarterbacks every day in practice; who saw a starter who had difficulty picking out deep receivers against both Wisconsin and especially Nebraska; who saw more potential in CJB; then simply decided to go with the quarterback with the higher ceiling? I doubt they made that decision lightly.

I like Jake Rudock and hope he stays, but I am looking forward to see if CJB might just be better. CJB was always a year behind Jake in learning the offense. Maybe CJB simply caught up? I don't understand why CJB was named starter when it was announced and I can be as cynical about the 'why's' as anybody, but it may simply be that CJB is the better choice going forward.

Yes JC. He was still a starter. And don't you think there seems to be a trend? Why are they starting the one who isn't as good? Remember Jeff C. was all mad, like CJB's dad. Kirk never wanted to start Stanzi but KOK won out one of the few times.
Had been a starter, not still a starter. I would guess that most QB's that lost their starting job leave. Nothing new. And if he stuck around to do nothing his senior year, what would that have proven?

You're the problem
Posted from Rivals Mobile

D1 fan is a joke of a concept. Whats a d1 vs d2 or naia fan? Its the coaches job to put the best players on the field and the players want to go where they are going to play. No more no less.

FG86, 1 starting qb transfer in 16 years is a trend? Keep pushing that propaganda.

This post was edited on 3/12 11:23 AM by doughudd

No he wasn't. Get your facts straight and then maybe people will listen to your opinion.

JC was NOT still the starter. He had lost out on the job during the 2008 season to Stanzi. I can understand why KF would have stuck with JC at the beginning due to his experience at the position. He did though decide to name Stanzi the starter and kept him there after the ISU game.

This even after Jake came in and led a drive that won the game against ISU that year. It was obvious that Jake might have done better that year, but it's also obvious that Stanzi was simply the better option in the long run.

I really don't think that was as bad as a thing for KF's QB evaluation the more I think about it. It's unclear how Jake would have done had he remained starter. Greene was there that year of course, and we all know what he did. Stanzi was okay that year, but wasn't what he eventually became just yet.

If anything it's an instance of KF listening to his fellow coaches and not being as stubborn as some see him as being.

The biggest issues are the lack of a consistent pass rush, pass defense, poor tackling and special teams. Those issues need to be fixed regardless of who the starting QB is.

Originally posted by NevadaHawk:
The biggest issues are the lack of a consistent pass rush, pass defense, poor tackling and special teams. Those issues need to be fixed regardless of who the starting QB is.
I agree that QB play was way down the list of 'problems'. You listed some good one's, but let me add that the coaches are more concerned about getting them off the field on third down, then they are about sacks, but a good 'push' certainly contributes to that. They 'grade' the players by the other teams 3rd down efficiency, not sacks and TFL;s.
Iowa's pass defence was not as bad as some think (they were no. 7 in the country in yds allowed for crimminy sakes!) but they did give up some big plays at crucial times that stick in peoples minds and tend to skew their objectivity. So I will agree with you on the pass defense in the terms that they need to step up in the clutch. Fair?
I definately agree on the poor tackling. I don't remember an Iowa team missing so many tackles in a year and in my opinion was the biggest 'flaw' in this team. I won't make excuses for it, but I do believe that these young LB's will impove with another year in the weight room.
I won't go into special teams, but once again I agree and I would bet the Iowa coaches agree that some of these other issues were way more relevant than the QB situation, but QB's are way more fun for the average fan to talk about.
P.S.- Let me also add the run game needs to be fixed (improve) or it won't matter who the starting QB is.......

We've had terrible quarterback play since Stanzi's junior season. I don't know whether it is our coaches or quarterbacks, but I am happy to not have to see Jake take one more snap as a hawkeye. He was absolutely abysmal last year, and if Beathard is that bad this year then I will want to see Weigers. Why not give the other guy a chance if the guy playing is crap? If they prove that they both suck, then choose one.

This post was edited on 3/12 12:37 PM by 1stplacehawk

Gonna have to disagree with Iowa's pass defense being good just because they were #7... Terrible safety pass defense between the L's (Lowdermilk and Lomax) playing back there. Here is the powerhouse Passing games we played against last year and their passing offense rankings....lol....0 teams in the top 47...2 teams in the top 71...and 5 teams over 100 out of 125 teams total, WOW, we could have been #1 if either of the L's were worth a crap covering anyone...Thank god we have very good corners in Mabin and King....

Ill 48
Ia St 50
Maryland 72
NW 76
Ball St 78
Neb 80
Pur 101
Pitt 102
Wisc 116
Minn 119
Ind 120

Originally posted by HawkeyeDenny:
Gonna have to disagree with Iowa's pass defense being good just because they were #7... Terrible safety pass defense between the L's (Lowdermilk and Lomax) playing back there. Here is the powerhouse Passing games we played against last year and their passing offense rankings....lol....0 teams in the top 47...2 teams in the top 71...and 5 teams over 100 out of 125 teams total, WOW, we could have been #1 if either of the L's were worth a crap covering anyone...Thank god we have very good corners in Mabin and King....

Ill 48
Ia St 50
Maryland 72
NW 76
Ball St 78
Neb 80
Pur 101
Pitt 102
Wisc 116
Minn 119
Ind 120
I didn't see anyone say that their pass D was good? Did I miss it? And I think we already established they got 'deep beat' (lol) too often (big plays in crucial situations). I will agree that these passing stats you presented may skew that no. 7 ranking a tad:)
Never realized some of these teams who have a recent history of throwing the ball all over and often had fallen that far (Purdue, NW, esp. Indiana)
I do believe I said 'they need to step up'..........
And I still believe tackling was a bigger problem, but won't argue that the pass D can improve....

Originally posted by gojojo:

No he wasn't. Get your facts straight and then maybe people will listen to your opinion.
Read my post. He was still A starter.

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

Had been a starter, not still a starter. I would guess that most QB's that lost their starting job leave. Nothing new. And if he stuck around to do nothing his senior year, what would that have proven?
He WAS still A starter. Some of you need to learn to comprehend.

Do you have some statistics on qbs who leave after losing their jobs?

And if JR sticks around for his senioryear, what will that have proven?

Originally posted by doughudd:
FG86, 1 starting qb transfer in 16 years is a trend? Keep pushing that propaganda.

Try reading my post. The trend is not doing well evaluating the best qb.

I believe Indiana just lost two in one year. Nebraska lost the guy that went to UNI, Michigan lost the Tater, Oregon Masoli, NC State lost one, and heck, that just from the top of my head in seconds. There's plenty, but it doesn't fit the schtick, does it.

So who are you considering the two from Iowa....the awesome Jon Beutger, or the awesome Jake C. Or did you mean Sokol who of course should of been the starter, or is Jake Rudock one of your two, even though he allegedly never should have started.

As other said...this board has indeed jumped the shark.

Originally posted by cecilB:

I believe Indiana just lost two in one year. Nebraska lost the guy that went to UNI, Michigan lost the Tater, Oregon Masoli, NC State lost one, and heck, that just from the top of my head in seconds. There's plenty, but it doesn't fit the schtick, does it.

So who are you considering the two from Iowa....the awesome Jon Beutger, or the awesome Jake C. Or did you mean Sokol who of course should of been the starter, or is Jake Rudock one of your two, even though he allegedly never should have started.

As other said...this board has indeed jumped the shark.
Talk about the schtick. First Masoli got kicked off the team. Forcier was academically ineligible at the time he left the program. The Nebraska guy was never a starter.

Your own post actually points to the problem. "The awesome Jon Beutjer" "The awesome Jake C."

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

True, we don't have great fans like you who don't go to games and will decide if they want to watch the game off the DVR once they get back from fishing. That is exactly what kind of D1 fans we need.
This. Did a guy who doesn't go to games really just complain about the actual Iowa fans that actually go to the games?

Originally posted by gojojo:

Read my post. He was still A starter.
True or false: Jake Christenson was our starting QB when he transferred.

You stated in your original post that JC was our starting QB when he left. That is false. Your second post was ambiguous at best, but still implied that he was starting (not just that he had started a game at some point in his career).

I wouldn't consider reading comprehension a strength of many people on these boards, but in this scenario, your writing is to blame.

Cornhusker/Panther started games. It's too bad a good kid is going elsewhere, to act like it only happens at iowa is inaccurate.

But really, that's not what this is about, and you know it. Some b!tch and moan about EVERYTHING. You are tiresome.

Originally posted by doughudd:

Try reading my post. The trend is not doing well evaluating the best qb.
How about O-line talent? Lb talent? TE talent? It's not like he misses out on everything eh?

i could be entirely wrong (and this isn't a dig on the UI med school), but something tells me he ends up at a program that offers the best med school option for him while on a year scholarship (if that is even possible).

i don't think he's transferring with the expectation of playing - if i were jake, i'd look at a nice backup role at NU or harvard (if they'd have him)

Originally posted by kzoohawk80:

This. Did a guy who doesn't go to games really just complain about the actual Iowa fans that actually go to the games?
Yes I did. Sorry you can't handle the same kind of insults you throw around about players and coaches at will.

Sorry I have a hobby outside of this. You should try it sometime. Maybe you wouldn't be so bitter about the failures of teenagers and perhaps you could take pride in success in something you actually had something to do with. But here we are partner. Its your life, if you want to spend it pissed off all the time I don't care. But don't get mad when I make fun of you for it.

Never said I was a better fan because I don't know that I am. I love Iowa sports but I don't carry on like a spoiled drama queen every time they lose either. That's where you guys excel. It's your true calling. Hell who knows, maybe that is your hobby. Bitching.

Originally posted by kzoohawk80:

Yes I did. Sorry you can't handle the same kind of insults you throw around about players and coaches at will.

Sorry I have a hobby outside of this. You should try it sometime. Maybe you wouldn't be so bitter about the failures of teenagers and perhaps you could take pride in success in something you actually had something to do with. But here we are partner. Its your life, if you want to spend it pissed off all the time I don't care. But don't get mad when I make fun of you for it.

Never said I was a better fan because I don't know that I am. I love Iowa sports but I don't carry on like a spoiled drama queen every time they lose either. That's where you guys excel. It's your true calling. Hell who knows, maybe that is your hobby. Bitching.
No you just spend all your time complaining about the fans you just described. You sound just as bitter and pathetic as you claim they are. Honestly do you even care if Iowa even wins? It sounds like your answer is no. If it's no you really shouldn't comment on any other Iowa fan. I'm not really sure why you post on here if you got so many better things to do.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT