ADVERTISEMENT

Jamari Sibley

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Went to a Georgetown site this AM. Said Sibley was impressed with Georgetown visit. A source said, it is currently between Hawks and Hoyas but he may take a visit to Syracuse before deciding. I get nervous with late visits.

I also read that someone said to take the two crystal ball forecasts with a grain of salt. I personally think they are Wisconsin homers hoping he doesn't become a Hawk. Sibley would be a great addition to the Hawks.

Went to a Georgetown site this AM. Said Sibley was impressed with Georgetown visit. A source said, it is currently between Hawks and Hoyas but he may take a visit to Syracuse before deciding. I get nervous with late visits.

I also read that someone said to take the two crystal ball forecasts with a grain of salt. I personally think they are Wisconsin homers hoping he doesn't become a Hawk. Sibley would be a great addition to the Hawks.

Good information...much appreciated. I hope the whole Syracuse visit thing just confuses him about his last visit with Gtown and he ends up choosing Iowa......I might have a slight bias.

One site has him 100% to Georgetown and another 76% to Iowa. Hopefully Fran can land him.

Ugh. I wanna say here we go again. Let’s hope there is not a meltdown here if and when Fran doesn’t land Sibley or Foster. The trend is your friend as they say, and Fran’s trend has been to not be able to land the big fish. Either of these young men would be a great get, but so would’ve been Murrell, Crowl, or Gordon (not to mention Jackson).
Perhaps the “culture” to which Gordon apparently didn’t fit in with is what will keep other above average recruits away as well.
Prove me wrong Fran. Please.

Ugh. I wanna say here we go again. Let’s hope there is not a meltdown here if and when Fran doesn’t land Sibley or Foster. The trend is your friend as they say, and Fran’s trend has been to not be able to land the big fish. Either of these young men would be a great get, but so would’ve been Murrell, Crowl, or Gordon (not to mention Jackson).
Perhaps the “culture” to which Gordon apparently didn’t fit in with is what will keep other above average recruits away as well.

And what "culture" clashes would you be referring to?

One site has him 100% to Georgetown and another 76% to Iowa. Hopefully Fran can land him.
Note, that the 100% is from two Wisconsin forecasters, even the Georgetown message board questions those predictions. The 76% is the fan based forecast, wishful thinking by Hawk fans.

Reactions: skydog0784
And what "culture" clashes would you be referring to?
That was in response to a post in another thread in which the coaching staff was lauded for bringing in players who fit in with the “culture” Fran has built. It was stated that perhaps Gordon did not fit in that “culture”. It’s my belief that if there is a “culture” being formed it’s one of mediocrity. “Clash” is your term, not mine.

That was in response to a post in another thread in which the coaching staff was lauded for bringing in players who fit in with the “culture” Fran has built. It was stated that perhaps Gordon did not fit in that “culture”. It’s my belief that if there is a “culture” being formed it’s one of mediocrity. “Clash” is your term, not mine.

I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

Woodbury, Cook, Garza, and Wieskamp weren't big fish? It seems to me they had some pretty good options.

Woodbury, Cook, Garza, and Wieskamp weren't big fish? It seems to me they had some pretty good options.
Ok, but in 10 years you’re gonna hang your hat on those guys? Weiskamp is a Hawkeye even if Lickliter is here. The others could maybe be interpreted as having underwhelming stays at Iowa. Book is still out on Garza obviously but even he is not the athlete that would make Fran’s system hum. I understand that big fish recruits are just that: recruits. You never know how they’ll develop. Even Fran has to admit he hasn’t gotten overly athletic players at a clip that would keep us competitive.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Ok, but in 10 years you’re gonna hang your hat on those guys? Weiskamp is a Hawkeye even if Lickliter is here. The others could maybe be interpreted as having underwhelming stays at Iowa. Book is still out on Garza obviously but even he is not the athlete that would make Fran’s system hum. I understand that big fish recruits are just that: recruits. You never know how they’ll develop. Even Fran has to admit he hasn’t gotten overly athletic players at a clip that would keep us competitive.
If you think it's great athlete's Fran is searching for you haven't been paying attention. If this was KY or Duke he'd go for total package guys, no doubt. If Garza stays healthy he'll likely end up Top 5 in Iowa scoring history. That's right in the middle of Fran's bull's-eye.

Reactions: skydog0784
If you think it's great athlete's Fran is searching for you haven't been paying attention. If this was KY or Duke he'd go for total package guys, no doubt. If Garza stays healthy he'll likely end up Top 5 in Iowa scoring history. That's right in the middle of Fran's bull's-eye.

Garza is a really good offensive talent, but a sieve on defense. So far Fran has not found a way to hide Garza's lack of footspeed on defense. I like some of the things Fran has done recruiting wise in past couple years, but he really shot himself in foot with awful recruiting with that stretch of Flemming, Hutton, Ellingson, Wagner, Dailey, Moss, Christian Willams.. As far as culture, in a sport dominated by African Americans, Fran hasn't seemed to be able to put together a basketball culture that is able to bring in African American Athletes from out of state and keep them in the program. Most of the African American Athletes that fran has brought in have transfered out due to being not very talented or apparently not seeing eye to eye with Fran. We shall see how Fran era goes...mostly it has been Meh beause of a history of some stinky finishes in Big10, poor BTT performance, and some woodshed beatings in NCAA tourney.

Lol, yes of past coaches proved anything it’s that great instate players always want to go to iowa regardless of coach.

I would ask if you could see the irony in your post, but then I'd have to explain it to you.

Clearly, your superior intellect is above all of us. What ever happened to your self imposed ban after the MSU win?

Agree that Fran's skill set priorities have dictated the recruiting for the most part:

Priorities:
(A) Offensive skills - shooting in particular
(B) Height / Length

Willing to trade off:
(C) Defensive skills - will leverage schemes that favor length to compensate
(D) Speed / Strength

Iowa can't get (E) All of the Above, especially with no recent NCAA tournament, Big 10 Tournament or regular season success (other than a lot of top half finishes, which is good).

He will target any Iowan in the Top 150 and then out of state will use this profile to target recruits that may be under-valued by Top 15 programs using different criteria. The result of this is him landing some Top 150 out of state talent that plays better than their ranking offensively, but as a team our defense has suffered more years than not. It also results in a slightly higher percentage of white kids due to the profile, not necessarily due to our culture. Nunge was under-recruited based on this profile, and so forth. Now we see that he might have adjusted the profile slightly with some of the newer recruits. Sibley is long, and quick, but not very skilled relative to his past recruits.

In any event, we can't land the perfect recruits so they will all have gaps. The trick is in what skills would you trade off to get other skills. If you want to space the floor to get good overall offensive spacing that leads to high offensive efficiency, you better make sure 4 out of 5 guys you recruit can shoot it. But that likely means a few of them aren't athletic. Figuring out how to put these lego pieces together is the trick. Frans had some big wins and some misses too, which isn't suprising given the recruiting challenge we face. The program is probably in the bottom half of the Big 10 right now in what it has to sell, with the fan base and the offense being two of the bigger items. Fran just has to keep building from there, which is why I think fans see these next 2 classes as being the key to trending up rather than back down.

Reactions: Mitjacks
Lol, yes of past coaches proved anything it’s that great instate players always want to go to iowa regardless of coach.
Lol at you trying to put words in my mouth. My point was clearly in reference to Wieskamp alone. Maybe it was slightly oversimplified but by all accounts him and his family have always been Hawkeye fans.

Agree that Fran's skill set priorities have dictated the recruiting for the most part:

Priorities:
(A) Offensive skills - shooting in particular
(B) Height / Length

Willing to trade off:
(C) Defensive skills - will leverage schemes that favor length to compensate
(D) Speed / Strength

Iowa can't get (E) All of the Above, especially with no recent NCAA tournament, Big 10 Tournament or regular season success (other than a lot of top half finishes, which is good).

He will target any Iowan in the Top 150 and then out of state will use this profile to target recruits that may be under-valued by Top 15 programs using different criteria. The result of this is him landing some Top 150 out of state talent that plays better than their ranking offensively, but as a team our defense has suffered more years than not. It also results in a slightly higher percentage of white kids due to the profile, not necessarily due to our culture. Nunge was under-recruited based on this profile, and so forth. Now we see that he might have adjusted the profile slightly with some of the newer recruits. Sibley is long, and quick, but not very skilled relative to his past recruits.

In any event, we can't land the perfect recruits so they will all have gaps. The trick is in what skills would you trade off to get other skills. If you want to space the floor to get good overall offensive spacing that leads to high offensive efficiency, you better make sure 4 out of 5 guys you recruit can shoot it. But that likely means a few of them aren't athletic. Figuring out how to put these lego pieces together is the trick. Frans had some big wins and some misses too, which isn't suprising given the recruiting challenge we face. The program is probably in the bottom half of the Big 10 right now in what it has to sell, with the fan base and the offense being two of the bigger items. Fran just has to keep building from there, which is why I think fans see these next 2 classes as being the key to trending up rather than back down.
Agree with nearly everything here Dan. A certain % of our fan base doesn't seem to understand why Fran doesn't simply load up with athlete's. When it comes to instate recruits Fran still has strict character standards. There were at least a couple of Top 150 types he backed away from. I'm not positive on names, but one was Myles, and another from Western Iowa soon after he got the job.

the way to deal with Legend? the sooner you accept that his MO is antagonizing others, the better off you'll be. I think its funny watching him get everyone's panties in a bunch.

You are correct sir, that is why I did not respond to his post.

Alec Kinsky with EYBL came out with a crystal ball prediction for Sibley, he is saying the Hawks!

Hope he's right.

I like that this pick came in after his Georgetown visit, and after two other (Badger) analysts picked the Hoyas. Seems that Georgetown didn't seal the deal. Anything can happen, but I'd be much more concerned if all the picks coming in were for Georgetown.

the way to deal with Legend? the sooner you accept that his MO is antagonizing others, the better off you'll be. I think its funny watching him get everyone's panties in a bunch.
I dealt with the jackass,Put him on my ignorant list haven't really missed him.

So is this where it stands with Sibley? Iowa is in a top 2 with another unknown team, but Sibley wants to visit Syracuse now? But wasn't the 11th of this month to be when he made his final choice?

So is this where it stands with Sibley? Iowa is in a top 2 with another unknown team, but Sibley wants to visit Syracuse now? But wasn't the 11th of this month to be when he made his final choice?

It was reported that he planned to decide in late October. But obviously that's subject to change, especially if he wants to check out Syracuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT