ADVERTISEMENT

James Comey: The truth is finally out. The FBI fulfilled its mission.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By James Comey
Dec. 9, 2019 at 2:14 p.m. CST
James Comey is a former director of the FBI and a former deputy attorney general.

For two years, the president of the United States and his followers have loudly declared that the FBI acted unlawfully in conducting a counterintelligence investigation of Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential campaign.

They repeatedly told the American people that the FBI had done all sorts of bad things, such as tapping Donald Trump’s wires during the campaign, opening an investigation without adequate cause, with the intent to damage Trump, and inserting secret informants into the Trump campaign.

The president said the FBI’s actions were “treason.” The current attorney general even slimed his own organization by supporting Trump’s claims, asserting there had been “spying” on the campaign. Crimes had been committed, the Trump crowd said, and a whole bunch of former FBI leaders, including me, were likely going to jail.

AD
On Monday, we learned from a report by the Justice Department’s inspector general, Michael Horowitz, that the allegation of a criminal conspiracy was nonsense. There was no illegal wiretapping, there were no informants inserted into the campaign, there was no “spying” on the Trump campaign.

Although it took two years, the truth is finally out.

At the heart of the Russian attack on the election was the release of damaging emails stolen from organizations and individuals associated with the Democratic Party. The releases started in June 2016. In late July, the FBI learned that a Trump campaign foreign-policy adviser named George Papadopoulos had been involved months earlier in conversations about a Russian government offer of “dirt” in the form of emails damaging to Trump’s rival, Hillary Clinton.

AD
Based on that information, the FBI opened an investigation to try to understand whether Americans, including any associated with the Trump campaign, were involved with the Russian influence effort. It would have been a dereliction of duty for the FBI not to investigate that.

The investigation included electronic surveillance of one person, Carter Page, a former Trump campaign adviser with a long relationship to Russia and a history of contacts with Russian intelligence. The surveillance began with a court order shortly before the election. The order was renewed three times by federal judges. And the FBI kept it secret. Nothing was leaked to damage the Trump campaign.

The Russia investigation was complicated — not surprisingly, the inspector general found mistakes, 17 of them, things the FBI should have done differently, or better. That’s always unfortunate, but human beings make mistakes. Inspector-general reports are valuable because they offer the chance to learn. Horowitz also concluded that a low-level FBI lawyer doctored an email as part of the administrative process leading to the renewal of the application for electronic surveillance of the former campaign adviser. Although it is not clear what difference that made, it is still potentially serious wrongdoing and does not reflect the FBI culture of compliance and candor.

AD
But most important, Horowitz’s report found that the investigation was opened and conducted under the rules, finding no “evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced [the] decision” to start it or how to run it. Those of us who knew that truth had to remain silent while a torrent of smears and falsehoods flowed from the White House, from some congressional committee chairmen, the attorney general and Fox News personalities. The FBI’s work was perceived as a threat to the president, and many Republicans apparently believe that all threats to Trump must be destroyed, no matter the cost to the nation.

The painful part is that millions of good people believed what they heard. My 89-year-old mother-in-law, watching Fox News in her Iowa assisted-living facility, became convinced that I was going to jail. I repeatedly assured her that there was a zero percent chance of that. “It’s all made up,” I would tell her. But I couldn’t say that publicly because the investigation wasn’t done yet. Like the others accused of treason by the president, I respected the process and cooperated with the inspector general.

Read the Inspector General’s report on the Trump-Russia investigation

Well, the wait is over, and those who smeared the FBI are due for an accounting. In particular, Attorney General William P. Barr owes the institution he leads, and the American people, an acknowledgment of the truth.

AD
Unfortunately, it appears that Barr will continue his practice of deriding the Justice Department when the facts don’t agree with Trump’s fiction. Pointing to his personally commissioned “review” of the FBI’s case-opening, Barr has declared it is too soon to conclude that the FBI was right to start an investigation. If his goal is simply to support the president’s conspiracy theories, it will always be too soon to acknowledge the facts.

As the leader of an institution that is supposed to be devoted to truth, Barr needs to stop acting like a Trump spokesperson. In the words of the nation’s Founders, the Justice Department’s inspector general has “Let Facts be submitted to a candid world.” The FBI fulfilled its mission — protecting the American people and upholding the U.S. Constitution. Now those who attacked the FBI for two years should admit they were wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4df00c-1aad-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html

Comey, McCabe, Page, and Strzok will all be exonerated. Too bad formerly law and order type Republicans are willing to trash members of our law enforcement community in order to ingratiate themselves to a career con man.

Last edited:
The highlighted words are out of the IG report. That’s a pretty bad statement of how the team was performing

I understand that the highlighted words are from the report. I was referencing Ben’s words in the Tweet, e.g. the hyperbole.

Reactions: Rudolph
ELYL5WBXYAAkSh6

17 areas of misconduct in the FISA warrant application, criminal charges coming. Just saying.

17 areas of misconduct in the FISA warrant application, criminal charges coming. Just saying.
"misconduct" is a hair on fire description for what was found.....It sounds much worse than the reality is....Obviously something was done that should have been done better....but it certainly was nothing "illegal" which is what Trumpers want us all to believe. A lot of bullshit to deflect what might really be illegal conduct by the Administration.
I am sorry bigred...this is far less than what you and my President wanted.....a big "nothing burger" with perhaps some onion on it to keep it interesting.

"misconduct" is a hair on fire description for what was found.....It sounds much worse than the reality is....Obviously something was done that should have been done better....but it certainly was nothing "illegal" which is what Trumpers want us all to believe. A lot of bullshit to deflect what might really be illegal conduct by the Administration.
I am sorry bigred...this is far less than what you and my President wanted.....a big "nothing burger" with perhaps some onion on it to keep it interesting.
Keep telling yourself that.

Keep telling yourself that.
Believe me red....I am sitting here waiting for something....and there just is not anything to get excited about. The only thing that keeps it interesting is watching how the Dems have allowed themselves to be used by Trump and the GOP. The Dems have a solid case....Trump attempted to use his office for a personal gain.....This is government...NOT business...and altho this might be the way business operates....it is not how government is allowed to function.
For years I have cringed at thew "anti-governmenters" cry "We need to run government like a business!" The fact of the matter is that the Constitution does not allow that to happen. In business the CEO can "make a deal" for personal gain....in our form of government red, that is illegal.
If you want to change it.....then change the Constitution.....and "good luck". Red....Trump broke the law. You can spin it any way you want but when all is said and done, Trump broke the law and got caught.

Anyone actually read the report since Comey didn’t?

I hope Page sues the daylights out of the FBI managers and they aren’t indemnified by the agency.

That so many basic and fundamental errors were made by three separate, hand-picked teams on one of the most sensitive FBI investigations that was briefed to the highest levels within the FBI, and that FBI officials expected would eventually be subjected to close scrutiny, raised significant questions regarding the FBI chain of command's management and supervision of the FISA process. FBI Headquarters established a chain of command for Crossfire Hurricane that included close supervision by senior CD managers, who then briefed FBI leadership throughout the investigation. Although we do not expect managers and supervisors to know every fact about an investigation, or senior officials to know all the details of cases about which they are briefed, in a sensitive, high-priority matter like this one, it is reasonable to expect that they will take the necessary steps to ensure that they are sufficiently familiar with the facts and circumstances supporting and potentially undermining a FISA application in order to provide effective oversight, consistent with their level of supervisory responsibility. We concluded that the information that was known to the managers, supervisors, and senior officials should have resulted in questions being raised regarding the reliability of the Steele reporting and the probable cause supporting the FISA applications, but did not.

In our view, this was a failure of not only the operational team, but also of the managers and supervisors, including senior officials, in the chain of command. For these reasons, we recommend that the FBI review the performance of the employees who had responsibility for the preparation, Woods review, or approval of the FISA applications, as well as the managers and supervisors in the chain of command of the Carter Page investigation, including senior officials, and take any action deemed appropriate. In addition, given the extensive compliance failures we identified in this review, we believe that additional OIG oversight work is required to assess the FBI's compliance with Department and FBI FISA-related policies that seek to protect the civil liberties of U.S. persons. Accordingly, we have today initiated an OIG audit that will further examine the FBI's compliance with the Woods Procedures in FISA applications that target U.S. persons in both counterintelligence and counterterrorism investigations.
https://www.justice.gov/storage/120919-examination.pdf

Meanwhile......Back at the Fox News Spin Factory:

Fox News canceled on James Comey after IG report vindicated the FBI: ‘They must have read the report’

Former FBI Director James Comey said Fox News canceled a scheduled interview after a report by the Department of Justice Inspector General vindicated the investigation into President Donald Trump.

“I offered to go on Fox & Friends to answer all questions,” Comey tweeted on Monday.

“I can’t change their viewers on Donald Trump but hoped to give them some actual facts about the FBI,” he explained.

“They booked me for tomorrow at 8 am. They just cancelled (sic). Must have read the report,” he suggested.

Comey discussed how the network canceled on him during a Monday interview on MSNBC with Nicolle Wallace.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Meanwhile......Back at the Fox News Spin Factory:

Fox News canceled on James Comey after IG report vindicated the FBI: ‘They must have read the report’

Former FBI Director James Comey said Fox News canceled a scheduled interview after a report by the Department of Justice Inspector General vindicated the investigation into President Donald Trump.

“I offered to go on Fox & Friends to answer all questions,” Comey tweeted on Monday.

“I can’t change their viewers on Donald Trump but hoped to give them some actual facts about the FBI,” he explained.

“They booked me for tomorrow at 8 am. They just cancelled (sic). Must have read the report,” he suggested.

Comey discussed how the network canceled on him during a Monday interview on MSNBC with Nicolle Wallace.
So Jim is honest now?

Your own Matt Taibbi article earlier today defended Comey's take on the investigation, and noted his good judgement on the Steele Dossier:

The Crossfire Hurricane team got all of this, but, again, didn’t pass it upstairs or include any of it in its warrant application.
[..]
As a result, a “well-developed conspiracy” theory based on a report that Comey described as “salacious and unverified material that a responsible journalist wouldn’t report without corroborating,” became the driving news story in a superpower nation for two years. Even the New York Times, which published a lot of these stories, is in the wake of the Horowitz report noting Steele’s role in “unleashing a flood of speculation in the news media about the new president’s relationship with Russia.”

And yet you continue to ignore Comey's judgements about our corrupt and asinine President, who slandered an honorable man in an effort to cover up his impeachable offenses.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Anyone actually read the report since Comey didn’t?

I hope Page sues the daylights out of the FBI managers and they aren’t indemnified by the agency.

Sue for what. There were no crimes committed. The FBI managers need to sue Barr.

The FBI was never intended to be a
political football. It was suppose to
operate as an independent agency
within the federal government.

There is no question that the FBI has
been compromised in the past decade
by politics.

Your own Matt Taibbi article earlier today defended Comey's take on the investigation, and noted his good judgement on the Steele Dossier:

The Crossfire Hurricane team got all of this, but, again, didn’t pass it upstairs or include any of it in its warrant application.
[..]
As a result, a “well-developed conspiracy” theory based on a report that Comey described as “salacious and unverified material that a responsible journalist wouldn’t report without corroborating,” became the driving news story in a superpower nation for two years. Even the New York Times, which published a lot of these stories, is in the wake of the Horowitz report noting Steele’s role in “unleashing a flood of speculation in the news media about the new president’s relationship with Russia.”

And yet you continue to ignore Comey's judgements about our corrupt and asinine President, who slandered an honorable man in an effort to cover up his impeachable offenses.
This aged well

Because, as Taibbi’s article noted, he was never informed of where some of the FISA information came from.

But we all understand why you are desperate to talk about any flaws of government investigation now, and desperate to avoid real abuse of power from the Executive Branch. You’re as transparent as Saran Wrap.

Because, as Taibbi’s article noted, he was never informed of where some of the FISA information came from.

But we all understand why you are desperate to talk about any flaws of government investigation now, and desperate to avoid real abuse of power from the Executive Branch. You’re as transparent as Saran Wrap.
I’m not desperate about anything. This issue is all over for Trump. He has no risk of being removed and be more than likely will win in 2020. As for the democrats, today was bad...real bad. The narrative you guys have vomited for the past two years went up in smoke today. Now Durham is going to start taking people down.

I’m not desperate about anything. This issue is all over for Trump. He has no risk of being removed and be more than likely will win in 2020. As for the democrats, today was bad...real bad. The narrative you guys have vomited for the past two years went up in smoke today. Now Durham is going to start taking people down.
Clearly, you are quite the psychic savant, all of your fantasies having come true so far...
CNN reporting that a FBI official is under criminal investigation for altering 302 forms.

Lisa Page anyone?

It’s probably tied to Flynn.

“He's right, I was wrong," Comey said about how the FBI used the FISA process, adding, "I was overconfident as director in our procedures."

Former FBI Director James Comey admitted on "Fox News Sunday" that the recently released Justice Department Inspector General’s report on the launch of the FBI’s Russia investigation and their use of the surveillance process showed that he was "overconfident" when he defended his former agency's use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

This comes days after IG Michael Horowitz’s report and testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee detailed concerns that included 17 “significant errors and omissions” by the FBI’s investigative team when applying for a FISA warrant to monitor former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. Horowitz referred “the entire chain of command” to the FBI and DOJ for “how to assess and address their performance failures” during the probe, which was conducted while Comey was in charge.

"He's right, I was wrong," Comey said about how the FBI used the FISA process, adding, "I was overconfident as director in our procedures."

I guess Comey finally got around to reading the IG report. Comey is a despicable person. He personally disgraced and damaged the FBI.

“He's right, I was wrong," Comey said about how the FBI used the FISA process, adding, "I was overconfident as director in our procedures."

I guess Comey finally got around to reading the IG report. Comey is a despicable person. He personally disgraced and damaged the FBI.

Comey looked like an idiot on Wallace's show today. Wallace would read from the IG report and Comey would immediately recharacterize whatever Wallace read as sloppiness in the FBI instead of wrongdoing and act confused as to what Wallace was getting at. The stupid act isn't working Jim.

Reactions: Nipigu
Comey looked like an idiot on Wallace's show today. Wallace would read from the IG report and Comey would immediately recharacterize whatever Wallace read as sloppiness in the FBI instead of wrongdoing and act confused as to what Wallace was getting at. The stupid act isn't working Jim.

Agree. Comey has disgraced the FBI.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT