ADVERTISEMENT

James Daniels will enter NFL draft...He gone.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
I know he hasn't necessarily lived up to the hype or been as consistent as we need but his experience will be invaluable next season. Need him to hold off on the NFL. I Think he improves his stock by returning anyway.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
I didn't know that either, but Harbinger is right. He would certainly do better to stay another year (if he was thinking of leaving).

He apparently submitted his name to receive feedback from nFL No idea what e is thinking but will find out after Bowl game I am sure

My opinion is he should return but there may be other factors affecting his decision. Who knows?

And don’t forget he is just a true junior and probably only 20 years old. I would think staying another year would be a great move. But maybe there are some financial concerns. I bet his brother is making some decent cash right now!

Not a surprise, really, since he isn't quite an NFL-caliber player at this point. But after next season, he'll get a good like by the NFL.

If he decides to enter the draft, I will wish him the best of luck and pull for him wherever he goes. The thing is- I don't think he looks anywhere near being ready for the NFL. He reallly struggled at times this year. I guess I must be missing something that is rather obvious to NFL talent evaluators, but I am having a hard time seeing this. Even factoring in his injury situation this year, he seems to me like he has a ways to go from a consistency standpoint.

He was very young for his class, he turned 20 at some point this fall.

He had an injury-plagued, somewhat subpar year.

I'd be surprised if he went pro this year.

I see Mcshay has him as a top 2 or 3 center and an early round pick. What injuries have hampered him this year?

Reactions: SHAWKER
I think James could play OG in the NFL, as well as Center. He's pretty mobile for his size. We use him a lot when we pull. That's probably why his feedback was so high. Centers may not get much attention in NFL draft rooms but guys that are a little more flexible, between Center and Guard, would be in higher demand. A guy like him would be huge for depth. You could move him around to fill in for injured players at 3 spots.

He may grade out at 1st or 2nd round, definitely doesn’t mean that’s where he’ll go. One I saw had Jackson at #12 to Raiders and Jewell at #71 to 49ers.

A feature that distinguishes Daniels from other centers is that he's seen quality game reps at both OG and OT. Admittedly, all his OT reps were in '15 as a TR FR ... however, the athleticism and position flexibility that he brings to the table is part of what makes him such an attractive candidate.

Also, as EpenesaEpenesa rightly mentioned ... part of why Daniels didn't have an overly impressive JR campaign was because he was pretty much dinged for the whole season. On film, when he's healthy, his play typically sticks out ... in a very positive way. That's another clear indication about his health for this season.

It right in the above link that H4wkfan4life posted.

"Junior center James Daniels submitted his name to the NFL draft advisory board and received a positive review, according to HawkeyeReport.com. This means the board sees Daniels as a first- or second-rounder."

The info on review was posted in lounge by poster but be very saw any confirmation from Tom or Blair.
As noted later tin the article Brian said he wasn’t aware of feedback so who knows

If he can go first or second round with guaranteed money he should do it.

My eyeball test did not see Daniels as a first or second rounder. It’s great for the program if he goes, great for the team if he stays.

I just didn’t see enough out of him this year to think that he’s maximized his draft stock. And he’s young, a season more of man strength will only help.

Did he win the Outland Trophy? Was he an All-American? Was he 1st team All-Big 10? Did the O-line dominate this season? No.

I think Daniels has a lot of talent and potential, but he didn't show it fully this season, partly due to injury. Another season and he would probably have the kind of year that turns a guy into a highly desirable NFL player, but this season he didn't, for various reasons, seem to be an elite college player.

On the other hand, who am I to argue with the weight of evidence in the single word "Wrong"?

I was told by someone fairly connected that james wasn’t excited about moving to center.
Story was reese morgan pulled him aside and asked if if hed like to be a millionaire someday.
James smiled and said yes.
Reese said go play center and listen to everything brian tells you.

I see Mcshay has him as a top 2 or 3 center and an early round pick. What injuries have hampered him this year?
McShay wants Iowa to suffer after the Ohio State game when he feared for his safety, so he's selling to get more players to jump ship to the pros to take away from Iowa possibly having any kind of decent year going forward..........................

I may be exaggerating.....or am I?

Reactions: Harbinger273
Did he win the Outland Trophy? Was he an All-American? Was he 1st team All-Big 10? Did the O-line dominate this season? No.

I think Daniels has a lot of talent and potential, but he didn't show it fully this season, partly due to injury. Another season and he would probably have the kind of year that turns a guy into a highly desirable NFL player, but this season he didn't, for various reasons, seem to be an elite college player.

On the other hand, who am I to argue with the weight of evidence in the single word "Wrong"?
What do any of the awards mentioned have to do with NFL draft position?

Reactions: David1979
I think James could play OG in the NFL, as well as Center. He's pretty mobile for his size. We use him a lot when we pull. That's probably why his feedback was so high. Centers may not get much attention in NFL draft rooms but guys that are a little more flexible, between Center and Guard, would be in higher demand. A guy like him would be huge for depth. You could move him around to fill in for injured players at 3 spots.

Scherff at 6'5 319lbs is excelling at OG in B1G, so I would use him as example of a NFL guard prototype. Daniels seems athletic, but a little small for NFL guard. I don't follow the mock drafts that closely, but an earlier post about the top rated Center going in 3rd round last year does suggest Center is not a position of high draft demand. I hope Daniels does well in NFL regardless whether he leaves early or not.

Last year I was shocked to see CJ go so high and Kittle and King go so low. NFL drafts are always interesting.

Scherff at 6'5 319lbs is excelling at OG in B1G, so I would use him as example of a NFL guard prototype. Daniels seems athletic, but a little small for NFL guard. I don't follow the mock drafts that closely, but an earlier post about the top rated Center going in 3rd round last year does suggest Center is not a position of high draft demand. I hope Daniels does well in NFL regardless whether he leaves early or not.

Last year I was shocked to see CJ go so high and Kittle and King go so low. NFL drafts are always interesting.
Daniels is 6'4, so he can probably carry more weight, if he wanted to.

Reactions: David1979
Wondering if Daniels is in limbo about jumping to the League? Of course we're seeing more articles about him after the bowl game.

Reports that Daniels will announce his decision tomorrow. Much speculation that he is headed to The League. Who do the Hawks turn to if he leaves?

ADVERTISEMENT