ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin is 4-1 vs. Iowa, so was last year a hiccup or a trend?

cidsports

HB King

So how do you think this one plays out?​

The two writers for Penn State and Iowa for The Athletic wrote:

"Iowa won 41-21 last year, but Penn State has won three in a row at Kinnick Stadium."

Since that last game played in the series, we know Penn State has won nine straight. Iowa has built it up to eleven straight, so something will clearly have to give on Duke Slater Field at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Iowa is 4-10 in the AP Poll era (since 1936) at Kinnick Stadium ESPN mentioned against Penn State.

In 1930, Iowa won the very first game played in the series 19-0. It was won at Kinnick Stadium, so Iowa is 5-10 overall. Iowa was not allowed to play in the Big Ten that season, so obviously games/wins over Penn State and Nebraska were needed 😆

Snyder: I’m taking Penn State, 21-20. The confidence level in my pick is debatable, but I think Penn State’s offense is the difference in this one. They’ve played in a loud environment at Camp Randall Stadium already this year and have a defense that’s more than capable of keeping them in the game and making a few big-time plays in the red zone. And, let’s not forget about punter Jordan Stout, as field position will be huge in this one.

Who do you have?

Dochterman: I’m going to take the home team in this one, 16-13. It might not be pretty, but it will be intense. Iowa’s zone defense is designed to eliminate the run and curtail downfield passing plays, and the Hawkeyes have done that for most of this season. Both teams have great punters — Iowa’s Tory Taylor was a freshman All-American last year and was as impactful as anyone on the field against Iowa State — and outstanding defenses. It seems like a game where field position and one significant turnover could alter the outcome. That type of contest is right in Iowa’s wheelhouse this season.

Kirk Ferentz is 0-2 in Top 5 match ups as our head coach, when Iowa played in the 2003 Orange Bowl and the 2015 Big Ten Title Game. Neither of those games were played at Kinnick, like Iowa's last win in 1985, when Kirk was coaching the OL.

Penn State's last win was 1999 in a Top 5 game, when the Nittany Lions opened the season #3 against #4 Arizona in Happy Valley.

All those games are in the past. Saturday, the 2021 teams take the field, as #3 Iowa hosts #4 Penn State.

Keys to the Game
  • The line of scrimmage, who has the ability to play with balance, offensively?
  • Field position game, as both teams have very good punters, can one of these teams breakout in this phase of the game?
  • Explosive plays (Phil Parker talks about 25+ yard plays, holding to two = 14 points), while some look at them as maybe 12+ runs or 16+ yard pass plays. I remember Phil's formula being mentioned back in 2017, during Iowa's 55-24 win over Ohio State!
  • Miscues, penalties and turnovers, which shined for Iowa in 2020 at Penn State, and last week at Maryland. Sean Clifford has thrown one interception each of the past three games (2 last year against Iowa, zero in 17-12 win at Kinnick)
  • Tackling, my ode to PJ Fleck, Penn State had lost 3 straight against B1G West teams Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa, until the 16-10 win at Wisconsin to open this season
In 2019, #4 Penn State played at #17 Minnesota losing 31-26. James Franklin has his third OC, since that 2019 game. Ironically, the OC last year was Minnesota's OC in that 2019 loss by Franklin's Nittany Lions.

I picked 28-20 for Saturday.

But, I am intrigued to see, if Iowa can have a breakout, statement win in 2021 against Penn State?

On Iowa

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News