ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Pollard....I call BS!

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
With the White House calling Iowa the "red-zone", there is no way that ISU is going to fill their stadium to just under 50% capacity next weekend.

Pollard knows this. He is just putting it out there so, when the governor and other officials, say no way Jose, he will think that he looks good to the fans.

The SEC is only going with 20% capacity. Jamie thinks he can more than double that? LoL I'm calling horsecrap, Jamie.

Hope this covid sheet takes a nosedive soon! Hate to see things get cancelled/delayed.... I was really hoping the B1G would reverse course! It is still possible, but...

With the White House calling Iowa the "red-zone", there is no way that ISU is going to fill their stadium to just under 50% capacity next weekend.

Pollard knows this. He is just putting it out there so, when the governor and other officials, say no way Jose, he will think that he looks good to the fans.

The SEC is only going with 20% capacity. Jamie thinks he can more than double that? LoL I'm calling horsecrap, Jamie.

Hope this covid sheet takes a nosedive soon! Hate to see things get cancelled/delayed.... I was really hoping the B1G would reverse course! It is still possible, but...
I don't think you saw what he said, or if you did, you failed to understand it. Do you know where the 25K figure comes from?

I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version.

About 30,000 fans renewed their season tickets. At the latest check, about 5,000 of them had exercised one of the options for people who don't want to attend games this season. That leaves 25,000. Pollard said he expects some of those people will pull out, either because of concerns about the virus or because they don't like their new seats. Finally, it's entirely possible they will end up not allowing anybody into the stadium. It's still 10 days away.

Maybe I didn't understand your post. Are you simply saying that it isn't possible to have 25,000 people in the stadium and maintain social distancing? That pretty much goes without saying. If everybody were going to be six feet apart, masks wouldn't be mandatory.

I don't think you saw what he said, or if you did, you failed to understand it. Do you know where the 25K figure comes from?

About 30,000 fans renewed their season tickets. At the latest check, about 5,000 of them had exercised one of the options for people who don't want to attend games this season. That leaves 25,000. Pollard said he expects some of those people will pull out, either because of concerns about the virus or because they don't like their new seats. Finally, it's entirely possible they will end up not allowing anybody into the stadium. It's still 10 days away.

Maybe I didn't understand your post. Are you simply saying that it isn't possible to have 25,000 people in the stadium and maintain social distancing? That pretty much goes without saying. If everybody were going to be six feet apart, masks wouldn't be mandatory.

I generally dislike everything about Iowa State (sue me) but I hope they have 15-20,000 folks in the stadium for their first game and that people enjoy the game. The only way society gets past the overwhelming fear that has gripped the country is to see normalcy returning. Football games are a part of that.

I generally dislike everything about Iowa State (sue me) but I hope they have 15-20,000 folks in the stadium for their first game and that people enjoy the game. The only way society gets past the overwhelming fear that has gripped the country is to see normalcy returning. Football games are a part of that.

Totally agree. I loath most things ISU but at least they had balls to stay open and not succumb to this fear based living.

Iowa State is a veterinary school, so calling horse crap is perfectly acceptable. ;)

Never mind! :)

Lol.... ISU must've faced some really heavy nasty backlash in order to go from 25k to zero
The hospital in Ames is full(ICUs), and most others in the state w/ICU Capability are on diversion. Sadly, t’s the only responsible decision that could be made W/ Iowa as the poster child for NOT how to handle things.

Reactions: SansSouci
The hospital in Ames is full(ICUs), and most others in the state w/ICU Capability are on diversion. Sadly, t’s the only responsible decision that could be made W/ Iowa as the poster child for NOT how to handle things.
Really? the ICU's in Ames are full? I dont live in the state so asking honestly. Can I see the numbers you are referring to? I thought I just saw the numbers yesterday and their were plenty of ICU beds, Hospital beds and ventilators available in Iowa.

Reactions: warriors dad
Nevermind answering my last post to you. I looked up the numbers myself.

As of September 2nd there are a total of 310 hospitalizations in the state of Iowa. Of those hospitalizations, 87 are in ICU and 39 on ventilators.

There are 740 new cases and 633 recoveries today along with 4 deaths.

But thanks for your invalid fear mongering.

As of September 2nd there are a total of 310 hospitalizations in the state of Iowa. Of those hospitalizations, 87 are in ICU and 39 on ventilators.

With 488 ICU beds available by the way and 793 ventilators.

This stuff is right on the Iowa Dept of Public Health website as reported by the hospitals but its amazing how people just make up their own narrative.

I don't think that is correct regarding Mary Greeley.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247

This stuff is right on the Iowa Dept of Public Health website as reported by the hospitals but its amazing how people just make up their own narrative.
488 ICU beds available. That doesn't sound right. I mean Iowa probably has a around 500 ICU beds. There's probably a theoretical ability to flex capacity higher. But to have 488 ICU beds open would be insane for a state with Iowa's population.

Reactions: papabeef
I don't know if this site is accurate or not, but it claims ICU space is at 60% of capacity.

Iowa has about 549 ICU beds. Based on best available data, we estimate that 35% (192) are currently occupied by non-COVID patients. Of the 357 ICU beds remaining, 88 are needed by COVID cases, or 25% of available beds. This suggests there is likely enough capacity to absorb a wave of new COVID infections.

Governor Reynolds: "if you don't feel safe, don't go."

Me: LOL. Impressive "punt" on showing any leadership at all. I expect that out of Trump, but not Iowa's governor.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Reynolds saying “If you don’t feel safe, don’t go.”

Good grief.....haters are latching on to everything and anything due to partisan hatred. I have never been a fan of Reynolds.....ever....but you are being ridiculous.

You sure about that? If they're full, it has nothing to do with COVID in Ames. I very much hate this virus, but the data doesn't align to what you said.

The IDPH reports that 0 (yes, ZERO) Story County hospitalized with COVID-19. Possible there are patients from other counties, but many would seek care in DM instead of Ames

Reactions: pmtdc

Dude, Your misreading my intent. Here you go, straight from MGMC medical staff->

A statement from Dr. Barry a physician at MGMC:

I am a hospitalist physician at Mary Greeley, and I cover the ICU. We have 13 beds in our ICU. I do not know how many ICU ventilators the hospital owns. I believe it is 7, but regardless of the number, the hospital has a contract to rent additional ventilators if they are needed. Within the last couple of weeks, the hospital has used all of its ventilators at times. It is very unusual to need that many ventilators, and the high occupancy and severity of illness in the ICU has been a significant burden on staff.

For the past 6-8 weeks, Mary Greeley has hospitalized ~8-12 SARS-CoV-2 patients per day. On any given day, about half are in the ICU, half are on the floor.

More concerning is that within the last couple of weeks, major medical centers in Sioux Falls, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Davenport, have been temporarily on ICU diversion. This means that they could not accept ICU transfers from surrounding communities. Waterloo has been on diversion for general medical patients and ICU patients, and they have temporarily halted elective medical procedures (again). I don’t believe the University of Iowa has been on ICU diversion, but they have been holding medical admissions in their ER for 3 days. UIHC is always busy, but this is unheard of. All of these numbers are certainly unexpected for August in Iowa.

You should know that the state is reporting surge capacity beds and ventilators when they report availability/capacity. Mary Greeley has the ability to convert general medical beds into ICU beds, and to scavenge ventilators from the OR, but we would be in a bind to find staff to care for these patients. Critical access hospitals could also create ICU beds, but no one would recommend ICU care in that setting.

I don’t believe any of the information I shared is privileged. The information I shared about other hospital systems is information that is being shared on Iowa clinician social media groups. I share it because the anti-science, conspiracy theory, misinformation really seems to be ramping up this week. The state of Iowa is currently in a very bad position with the virus.

Reactions: papabeef
You sure about that? If they're full, it has nothing to do with COVID in Ames. I very much hate this virus, but the data doesn't align to what you said.

The IDPH reports that 0 (yes, ZERO) Story County hospitalized with COVID-19. Possible there are patients from other counties, but many would seek care in DM instead of Ames
Just posted a response to a different poster- I’m relaying info from a member of MGMC medical staff(pasted in). I have no reason to doubt him. Am I sure- I do not work there, or in Iowa any longer- but have many many past colleagues that do

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Reynolds saying “If you don’t feel safe, don’t go.”

Good grief.....haters are latching on to everything and anything due to partisan hatred. I have never been a fan of Reynolds.....ever....but you are being ridiculous.
Not "haters." People who think government should make personal decisions for individuals.

I now know 5 people with confirmed cases and the worst side affect is a nagging cough. i realize that many people have died from this but most it is like the common cold. we all need to chill and move on with life!

Reactions: pmtdc

Looks like anyone can be governor with that kind of insight

I may not like ISU well actually not true just hate some of their idiot fans. But give them kudos for playing and trying to do so safely. And wish them a safe football season.

ISU should be a little careful. Unless they are playing Iowa (their Super Bowl) they come out totally flat. Last year was a prime example. Almost lost to UNI, were down 21 points to Baylor, 28 points to Okie, the Messiah I mean Purdy threw like 3 ints in the 4th quarter to lose at home to Okie St, got bludgeoned by K-St and boat raced by ND. Unless they are playing Iowa Matty does not have his team ready. Oh yeah on that Drake game 2 years ago when he yanked Purdy.... what a joke.

I am not a Barta fan but Pollard looks like a total idiot. 25k fans to zero in a couple days? He should know better. Should have waited before talking about the amount of fans. The game isn’t this Saturday.

......during a pandemic that has killed 170,000 people

So about the total number of influenza deaths over the last 2 to 2 1/2 years and no one bats an eye about that. We gonna require masks all over during flu season now and maybe lock stuff down in flu infections are at certain levels and require everyone to get flu shots? Didn't in the past, but if people don't want to be hyopcrites that a covid death > flu death then the rules should be the exact same.

Influenza deaths are even understated because they don't test for it like they do covid.

So that's 20%. But yes the ICU units in Iowa are "overrun". But if we don't make a big deal out of this, we are the ones who don't like science and "facts".

So about the total number of influenza deaths over the last 2 to 2 1/2 years and no one bats an eye about that. We gonna require masks all over during flu season now and maybe lock stuff down in flu infections are at certain levels and require everyone to get flu shots? Didn't in the past, but if people don't want to be hyopcrites that a covid death > flu death then the rules should be the exact same.

Influenza deaths are even understated because they don't test for it like they do covid.

Every now and then I come across someone like you who doesn't get it. COVID-19 is not the flu. Just stop.

ADVERTISEMENT