ADVERTISEMENT

Jan 1 start date, Conference games only, 96 team NCAA Tournament

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I'll take it!!! :)

From the Chicago Tribune:

College basketball has slightly more promise [than college football]. The Big Ten is talking about starting around Jan. 1 and playing conference games only. And just as baseball debated expanding the playoffs, there’s an appetite to create a one-time, 96-team NCAA Tournament.

Normally we’d hate the idea. But normal left the building long ago.

LINK: https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200722-dqocpvtuk5elbnx4wlncvivpti-story.html

96? Regular season champ and conference tourney champ. If it is the same team a second team from the conference. The additional 32 teams would be from the smaller conferences.

I figure there is no way they are going to play non-conference games before the new year, so this would be a fun idea for a one year. A little tough though if you are B10 team for instance that ends up 8-12 or 9-11 in conference, can you still get in based on BPI because your conference schedule was harder? But it would basically be the NIT mixed back in if you allow for small conference regular season champs too. And if a 96 team tourney works out and draws ratings, maybe that's an idea they'd look further into even after testing it out.

Probably the reason that the Gavitt game and the ACC Challenge game hasn't been decided yet or released to the media.
Only problem is it's a long time until January and players can get pretty bored going against each other for 6 months....being a veteran team maybe Iowa doesn't need the non-conference schedule as much as other teams....as long as conference games are played....

Last edited:
The seeding and travel arrangements would be extremely difficult. You would have to use a format similar to the NIT where teams were allowed to play multiple games at home. Still, it would be better than no tournament.

The down side is if Luka comes back he won't have the chance to become Iowa's all time points leader, still he will be a legend and Iowa's greatest center in my life time...

Reactions: unIowa
The down side is if Luka comes back he won't have the chance to become Iowa's all time points leader, still he will be a legend and Iowa's greatest center in my life time...

This could really be the main reason for him to come back and play for Iowa - shortened season so he doesn’t get worn out and compete for championships in the B1G and NCAA with the line up Iowa has this fall/winter.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
96? Regular season champ and conference tourney champ. If it is the same team a second team from the conference. The additional 32 teams would be from the smaller conferences.
top 32 teams get a bye

the other 64 teams (seeds 33-96) play, eliminating 32 teams, leaving us with a more traditional 64 teams

just a thought....i will take anything at this moment ;)

What is magic about the Jan. 1 date? Do they believe the crisis will be gone by then?

Good question......considering the virus, a start of games whenever there were no students on campus would have to be a consideration. That would seem to make a start prior to January 1 a thing to do....but who knows.

When will a vaccine be ready? Will it be effective? Who gets it first?

Reactions: Ronman
What is magic about the Jan. 1 date? Do they believe the crisis will be gone by then?

Basically, 2020 would be over. :)

15-5ec7bef47ea53__700.jpg

The only thing to say for a Jan 1 start date is that it's far enough out to allow for things to change. Hopefully for the better.

Situation doesn't look great now, but no reason to give up all hope for a season yet.

Still time to come up with a variety of options. I'd start with only essential personnel present for games and go from there. Consider something like a modified NBA "bubble plan".

Reactions: perryhawk
Good question......considering the virus, a start of games whenever there were no students on campus would have to be a consideration. That would seem to make a start prior to January 1 a thing to do....but who knows.

When will a vaccine be ready? Will it be effective? Who gets it first?
I think they are simply looking at all scenarios; ideally, they want to play a full season starting in November; however, if students are not allowed back on campus this fall & football is disrupted/canceled, Jan 1 might be a good start date because students would not be campus on Jan 1 no matter what

if things go badly this fall, expect the B1G to go conference games only, too

ADVERTISEMENT