ADVERTISEMENT

Jan. 6 committee in talks with Pence’s counsel, Cheney says

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Mike Pence’s legal counsel is in conversations with the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection about the possibility of testimony from the former vice president, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) said Friday.
Cheney, the committee’s vice chair, told ABC News’s Jon Karl that the panel has been having discussions with Pence’s team and said she still hopes Pence will testify before the committee in the near future.
Earlier this week, Pence signaled that he might be open to testifying if invited to do so.
“Look, he played a critical role on January 6. If he had succumbed to the pressure that Donald Trump was putting on him, we would have had a much worse constitutional crisis,” Cheney said. “And I think that he has clearly, as he’s expressed, concerns about executive privilege, which, you know, I have tremendous respect. I think it’s, you know, hugely important constitutional issue in terms of separation of powers.”
The daughter of former vice president Richard Cheney, Liz Cheney told the “Today” show that she was considering a run for president in 2024, in an interview that came a day after she lost the primary in her reelection race.
Cheney said she believes in executive privilege and its importance but noted that “when the country has been through something, as grave as [Jan. 6] was, everyone who has information has an obligation to step forward.”
“So, I would hope that that [Pence] will do that,” Cheney said.

ADVERTISEMENT