ADVERTISEMENT

Jan. 6 committee set to make its case public with prime-time hearings

False. Individual voters have proportionate power in the House.
Exactly.
California still has more pull because of all the reps in the House they get. More pull in presidential elections because of all the electoral votes they get. Only real offset for small population states is the senate.

We’re not a contiguous blob…we’re 50 states. Something has to give those smaller states some clout or they’d just be run over by the big population states.

It’s a smart setup IMO

Reactions: Tfxchawk
It is not “just fine” given that voters in small states have more power than voters in large states. It’s bad enough that they have outsized power in Congress via the Senate, but to have outsized power while voting for President is too much.

Besides that, it allows the possibility of a couple of corrupt governors or Secretaries of State to completely throw out the results of their state and thus overturn an election. Or a Vice President with a complicit Congress doing something similar. We now know the Electoral College leaves far too much room for our democracy to be destroyed by a handful of people.

It needs to go.
Dude. It’s a feature not a defect.

People’s votes matter, regardless of where they live. It is absurd to think giving Montanans several times more power than New Yorkers is something to be thankful for.
It is absurd to think New Yorkers can’t implement the policies their constituents want at a state level, where their state governments can pay for it.
We do not need, and indeed it exacerbates political deadlock, to make every issue a ‘federal’ issue.

Is it absurd that 1.3 million Estonians hold a veto over the other 947 million populace of the remaining 29 NATO members?
Or is it part of what ensures the larger powers in NATO don’t make mere appendages out of the smaller members, or otherwise run roughshod over their charter?

Exactly.
California still has more pull because of all the reps in the House they get. More pull in presidential elections because of all the electoral votes they get. Only real offset for small population states is the senate.

We’re not a contiguous blob…we’re 50 states. Something has to give those smaller states some clout or they’d just be run over by the big population states.

It’s a smart setup IMO

California is not a living, breathing, thing. Californians are. And they have far less say in our country is run than people in small states.

How do you figure that? They have 53 seats in the house…

Because I’m talking about the individual people. Those people have the same proportionate representation as other states.

They have far, far less representation in the Senate than, say, Iowans.

Remember, I’m talking about human beings.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Because I’m talking about the individual people. Those people have the same proportionate representation as other states.

I get that but we never would have had a United States without those proportions. The smaller colonies never would have agreed.

You don’t think California garners benefits from having so many seats in the house? Additional pork? With 53 seats they have a lot of influence on legislation, especially when the D’s are in control.

I get that but we never would have had a United States without those proportions. The smaller colonies never would have agreed.

You don’t think California garners benefits from having so many seats in the house? Additional pork? With 53 seats they have a lot of influence on legislation, especially when the D’s are in control.

Again. not California. Californians. People who live in California. No, the individual people of California receive benefit from those seats disproportionate to people in other states.

I know it has always been this way. I am saying it’s usefulness has passed, it no longer makes sense in today’s environment, and we now know it can easily be abused by a handful of crooks.

Again. not California. Californians. People who live in California. No, the individual people of California receive benefit from those seats disproportionate to people in other states.

I know it has always been this way. I am saying it’s usefulness has passed, it no longer makes sense in today’s environment, and we now know it can easily be abused by a handful of crooks.
Guess we’ll agree to disagree.

I’m fine with each state getting two senators and all states having equal representation in the senate.

What I have issue with is that a vote from someone in a low population state already carries more weight in the senate, why should it also hold more weight in the presidential election?
That's fair...

Now do the same thing with race. Golly mister are you a grand wizard?

I’ve been trying to figure out how the Democratic leadership could possibly screw up exposing the blatantly anti American acts coordinated and carried out by vile traitors leading up to 1/6. Are they really going to make this about the EC? SMH. I hope not.

She won the majority of the popular vote.
Biden won the majority of the popular vote.

Should voters decide or representation of land mass? Holy shit, if the situation were reversed wingnuts would be screaming revolt.

18.8 million. I’d say that is more than I thought would tune in. I’d be curious to see a breakdown of D, R and I views. My wife (no pic) and I watched. We are both independents. I didn’t learn anything new that i didn’t already know from the documentary and previous news reports.

Now we shift to 10am hearings and I’ll bet viewership drops below 5M. I would have preferred to have seen quite a bit more of the damning and more links that directly implicate Trump. Maybe something those of us paying attention didn’t already know.

What I got out of Thursday evening was that the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers were the instigators. I haven’t seen much direct evidence, yet, that an insurrection was actually planned out. It appears to me that these idiots came to DC, claiming to be summoned by Trump. But no more so than Schiff summoning Nicholas Roske. It was only once they were there that they decided to breach the Capitol. Do I blame Trump. Yep. But I want evidence and enough to keep him from ever being on a U.S. ballot ever again.

Im hoping there is more than what we saw Thursday. However with 18.8M viewers, Thursday was the night to lay out as much as possible to the American public.

18.8 million. I’d say that is more than I thought would tune in. I’d be curious to see a breakdown of D, R and I views. My wife (no pic) and I watched. We are both independents. I didn’t learn anything new that i didn’t already know from the documentary and previous news reports.

Now we shift to 10am hearings and I’ll bet viewership drops below 5M. I would have preferred to have seen quite a bit more of the damning and more links that directly implicate Trump. Maybe something those of us paying attention didn’t already know.

What I got out of Thursday evening was that the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers were the instigators. I haven’t seen much direct evidence, yet, that an insurrection was actually planned out. It appears to me that these idiots came to DC, claiming to be summoned by Trump. But no more so than Schiff summoning Nicholas Roske. It was only once they were there that they decided to breach the Capitol. Do I blame Trump. Yep. But I want evidence and enough to keep him from ever being on a U.S. ballot ever again.

Im hoping there is more than what we saw Thursday. However with 18.8M viewers, Thursday was the night to lay out as much as possible to the American public.

Really. The Orange Turd realizing and acknowledging he lost the 2020 election isn't significant? The Stop the Steal crap going on since is a scam and massive fraud, costing states and municipalities fortunes. Too much to absorb and digest in the 2 hour time frame.

We saw a video outline, the opening summary. Similar to a prosecutor's opening statement. The nitty gritty is to follow and it will take time to sort things out individually when these episodes are provided.

Really. The Orange Turd realizing and acknowledging he lost the 2020 election isn't significant? The Stop the Steal crap going on since is a scam and massive fraud, costing states and municipalities fortunes. Too much to absorb and digest in the 2 hour time frame.

We saw a video outline, the opening summary. Similar to a prosecutor's opening statement. The nitty gritty is to follow and it will take time to sort things out individually when these episodes are provided.
Really what? Reread my post. These are already known things. There have been countless news articles covering this for the last 18 months. What was something new you learned on Thursday night that puts an end to Trump? All the hype for this hearing and I’m afraid it’s going to be a dud. I hope I’m wrong. I would love nothing more than for Trump go away forever, jail, banned from elected office, whatever.

We basically agree regarding your second paragraph. Wasn’t the whole point to put this in Prime Time for the public to see? Then connect all the dots for me and as many others as possible in Prime Time. Like I said, we return to the hearing Monday morning at 10am. Most registered voters will be at work.

Really what? Reread my post. These are already known things. There have been countless news articles covering this for the last 18 months. What was something new you learned on Thursday night that puts an end to Trump? All the hype for this hearing and I’m afraid it’s going to be a dud. I hope I’m wrong. I would love nothing more than for Trump go away forever, jail, banned from elected office, whatever.

We basically agree regarding your second paragraph. Wasn’t the whole point to put this in Prime Time for the public to see?

We basically agree regarding your second paragraph. Wasn’t the whole point to put this in Prime Time for the public to see? Then connect all the dots for me and as many others as possible in Prime Time. Like I said, we return to the hearing Monday morning at 10am. Most registered voters will be at work.
What was new from this hearing - plenty. Bill Barr's video testimony telling the committee that he told Trump on three occasions (as early as Nov 23rd) that his contention that the election was fraudulent was false - characterized it as "bs, nonsense, and crazy." How about the new revelation that Ivanka Trump, on video, agreed with Barr's assessment. And then there was the never-before heard audio of Joint Chief of Staff General Milley stating that he got an urgent call from Mike Pence requesting that help (i.e., National Guard) be summoned asap to quell the riot. Milley went on to say that Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told him to falsely put out the word that Trump was in control making the demands and not Pence. Another new revelation was that Trump's campaign data manager told him early on that he in fact had lost the election. These are but a few of the many new revelations on Thursday night.

No. It hadn't been reported he'd accepted he lost the election, which the Committee reported. If that was the case, his activities since have been fraudulent. Again, the Committee produced a summary with details following.

Liz Cheney is a cut above Republican lapdogs on the political proficiency ladder. She is not sacrificing her career for a non-issue. There is substance and consequence, or she wouldn't be sticking her neck out on this. I don't like her, but I'd put my money on her, not a weakling imbecile like McCarthy or others.

Like always, it's best to see what comes next. To shutdown opinion before evidence is presented accomplishes nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT