ADVERTISEMENT

January Start Date for the B1G w/ Games played Indoors? Revised 2020 schedule could come w/in a week

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The final week of the 2020 NFL regular season is set for Jan. 3.

In the B1G footprint, you have domed football stadiums in:

* Indianpolis (Colts)
* Detroit (Lions)
* Minneapolis (Vikings)

Other possible domed venues: St. Louis and Syracuse.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day proposed an 8 game schedule with teams opening in the first week of January and finishing in the last week of February. That would allow for a Big Ten title game in the first week of March.

Last edited:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-football-season-in-early-january-per-report/

Curious how this would shake out...Obviously not going to be playing outdoor games in the Midwest in January. Would they play multiple games at some sort of regional indoor facility? Per the article Barry Alvarez expressed concern about playing more than one season in a calendar year...I hope this doesn't mean Fall 2021 football would be cancelled. Also, the bit about the potential schedule being released in the next couple weeks amused me, that would be 2 different schedules released, a cancelled season, and a new season announced in a matter of about 3 weeks!? Kevin Warren and the Big Ten have botched this process in their complete lack of transparency and what appears to be impulse decision making. I really hope they don't botch this decision/process as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: pmtdc
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-football-season-in-early-january-per-report/

Curious how this would shake out...Obviously not going to be playing outdoor games in the Midwest in January. Would they play multiple games at some sort of regional indoor facility? Per the article Barry Alvarez expressed concern about playing more than one season in a calendar year...I hope this doesn't mean Fall 2021 football would be cancelled. Also, the bit about the potential schedule being released in the next couple weeks amused me, that would be 2 different schedules released, a cancelled season, and a new season announced in a matter of about 3 weeks!? Kevin Warren and the Big Ten have botched this process in their complete lack of transparency and what appears to be impulse decision making. I really hope they don't botch this decision/process as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

See original post. Games would be played indoors.

So much for competitive balance and doing what's best for the players. Some teams will travel overnight for every game, only a few ever get a "home field" advantage.

I continue to agree with the Big Ten's decision to postpone the season. But I also agree with those who have been critical of the league for its failure to communicate with its stakeholders: players and their parents, coaches, media, and fans. The continuing lack of transparency has been shocking.

The process that led to the postponement of fall football should have been transparent, along with the plans to play later. There is no good reason for this closed process. In the absence of information, rumors flourish, so the criticism the Big Ten and its commissioner are receiving is entirely warranted.

I never would have expected the conference to handle things so poorly. It has become an embarrassment. There is no reason parents should have to go to Chicago and demand the information that should have been provided long ago. The conference owes everyone associated with Big Ten football an apology.

The story from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

A revised Big Ten football schedule could feature a January start

Jeff Potrykus
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
August 18, 2020

MADISON – Big Ten officials are working on a revised football schedule that could feature teams starting their season in early January.

Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour said Monday during a Zoom meeting with reporters that the league could release the revised 2020 schedule within a week or so.

Multiple college football sources told the Journal Sentinel Tuesday afternoon that Big Ten officials have decided to start the season as early as possible.

That would allow players to finish their season before the 2021 National Football League draft, set to be held April 29 through May 1.

The Big Ten announced Aug. 11 it was shutting down all of the league's fall sports because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic but hoped to move the football season to the second semester.

Parents of UW football players were briefed about the plan Tuesday night and were told it involves the use of indoor facilities. They were also told league officials are still uncertain how a shortened season would affect the eligibility of players, particularly seniors. A final decision could be made within a week.

Several indoor facilities that could be used by the Big Ten are home to NFL teams. Those are: Indianapolis (Colts), Minneapolis (Vikings) and Detroit (Lions). Other possible facilities are in St. Louis and Syracuse.

The final week of the 2020 NFL regular season is set for Jan. 3. The Colts and Lions are scheduled to play at home that weekend. The Vikings are to play the Lions at Ford Field.

The current NFL schedule has wild-card games set for Saturday Jan. 9 and Sunday Jan. 10. Divisional round games are set for Saturday Jan. 16 and Sunday 17. The conference title games are to be played Jan. 24, which is a Sunday.

It remains unclear how many games the Big Ten will attempt to play. However, UW athletic director Barry Alvarez told reporters that coaches and athletic directors are wary of asking players to play too many games in the second semester and then return in August for a full 2021 season.

“It wouldn’t be two full seasons,” Alvarez said.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day proposed an eight-game schedule with teams opening in the first week of January and finishing in the last week of February.

That would allow for a Big Ten title game in the first week of March.

“I think that starting the first week in January would be the best way to go,” Day said. “That way there is some separation between that season and the next season.”

UW coach Paul Chryst and Alvarez also noted it is imperative that the revised schedule provide as much separation as possible from the 2021 season.

Alvarez recently appeared on "The Dan Dakich Show" radio program. Dakich, a noted college basketball analyst, tried to get Alvarez to share what he knew about the revised schedule but Alvarez playfully resisted.

“We’ve been working on this Dan,” Alvarez said, chuckling. “I can’t leak it to you. I’d love to give it to you but I can’t leak it.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/08/18/revised-big-ten-football-season-could-begin-january/5602516002/

The final week of the 2020 NFL regular season is set for Jan. 3.

In the B1G footprint, you have domed football stadiums in:

* Indianpolis (Colts)
* Detroit (Lions)
* Minneapolis (Vikings)

Other possible domed venues: St. Louis and Syracuse.

Ohio State coach Ryan Day proposed an 8 game schedule with teams opening in the first week of January and finishing in the last week of February. That would allow for a Big Ten title game in the first week of March.

Why not uni...they need money

Honestly, I would rather they just cancel the whole thing, offer everyone who wants it an extra redshirt and play a full slate in 2021. If there's spring football, they're not going to play a full season in fall. Yes, it means some kids spend 6 whole years in college, but you don't have to graduate until you apply for graduation. Just let the 6th years take one class and graduate in December.

Certainly there's fallout, a backlog of kids who will have to wait their turn. But every single possible option has some major negatives.

Reactions: Dbq_Hawk
Honestly, I would rather they just cancel the whole thing, offer everyone who wants it an extra redshirt and play a full slate in 2021. If there's spring football, they're not going to play a full season in fall. Yes, it means some kids spend 6 whole years in college, but you don't have to graduate until you apply for graduation. Just let the 6th years take one class and graduate in December.

Certainly there's fallout, a backlog of kids who will have to wait their turn. But every single possible option has some major negatives.
I don't know if it's best for the players to have two seasons in 2020. That said give me two whole big ten schedules!!! I can live without Miami Ohio and North Texas type crap games.

Also do you give everyone 6 years or just this year's class? if you don't give it to everyone you pretty much screw over the kids waiting their turn to be starters. You can never make it fair for everyone....

Until the mid-sixties, we had single platoon football. Most kids played both sides of the ball and special teams. That means they spent 50 or 60 minutes a game on the field. Today, of course, players only play one way, and that means 30 minutes on the field, more or less. So today's players actually spend HALF the time on the field as kids used to, so a 12-game season now is equivalent to a six-game season in single-platoon days.

And, of course, today's players are supposed to be so tremendously well conditioned and all that.

I seriously don't see the problem with two seasons in 2021, and I haven't heard anyone else point out the reality of single platoon vs. two-platoon football in terms of actual playing time.

Schools facing upwards of $100,000,000 have money for more scholarships ?

Barry is hiding something with that BS response. He's smart enough to know that there's no meaningful physical difference between playing an abbreviated schedule
in the first quarter or spring practice in the second quarter of a year with a normal fall schedule.

I don't know if it's best for the players to have two seasons in 2020. That said give me two whole big ten schedules!!! I can live without Miami Ohio and North Texas type crap games.

Also do you give everyone 6 years or just this year's class? if you don't give it to everyone you pretty much screw over the kids waiting their turn to be starters. You can never make it fair for everyone....

No definitely not, maybe if the next few years they lowered it to 22 scholarships or something. At the same time we're kind of staring in the face kids using two seasons of eligibility for shortened seasons and possibly no bowl games (?). If a player tears his ACL in a March game, they'll miss 2021 as well.

All of the options suck, but that's where we're at and there's no sense relitigating it. As it stands, even if the season does start, there's going to be teams that shut down or a bunch of scheduled games that can't get played, that's just inevitable.

They won’t play. Just kicking the can down the road to stop the complaining.

has to be a vaccine or too many media/experts/scared losers will complain.

Gullible people got their warm fuzzy.

You truly need to relax. And for all you conspiracy posters out there. This totally makes sense because the election will be over and Dump will be out. I'm hearing the first game will be played when Biden takes over so he can get credit for B10 football.

Show me a kid in college that would not play damn near every Saturday if they could. They just need a gap for some recovery and downtime between seasons.

Reactions: SB_SB
So could a grad transfer in Dec play from a league who had at least one game this fall? Might be an interesting loophole.

So instead of not starting the season season in late Sept. while classes are going on Big 10 is going to wait 12 weeks to start the season.... In meantime players will be practicing once classes end over the Holidays and play during the peak of the cold and flu season in the Midwest causing both teams to travel for games now. What does the Big 10 think is going to happen between late Sept. and Jan 1st with the virus. It's like the blind leading the blind in the Big 10 with the incompetent Warren leading the way.

So instead of not starting the season season in late Sept. while classes are going on Big 10 is going to wait 12 weeks to start the season.... In meantime players will be practicing once classes end over the Holidays and play during the peak of the cold and flu season in the Midwest causing both teams to travel for games now. What does the Big 10 think is going to happen between late Sept. and Jan 1st with the virus. It's like the blind leading the blind in the Big 10 with the incompetent Warren leading the way.

Honestly, this should be better for the players. By Jan, most players on the team will probably already have had the virus and so hopefully there will be less players needing to sit out. My kid is on campus and I fully expect him/her to get it by Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Suterman
I am in favor of the 8 game January/February season indoors. It would allow some desperately needed TV revenue, get some games in, and give the players, coaches and fans something to look forward to. There is no reason a full slate of games can't be played in the Fall of 2021. The virus will need to be dealt with as best we can and there will be some cancellations in Jan/Feb. Play ball w/o fans this Winter and next fall we should be back to closer to normal.

If the teams playing in the fall don't go well then there won't be a season, and if they do okay and we learn some stuff then game on in January.

Reactions: JJ13579
How F-ing awesome would it be to have Iowa vs Wisconsin in the UNI Dome? Even if one cannot see in person but have to watch on tv.

Dome rental maybe $150k per game.

If the teams playing this fall have issues and need to shut down that should not stop the PAC 12 & B1G from a spring season of 8 games followed by a 10 game conference only season in the fall and then in 2022 a full 12 game season.

I love the idea of spring season. And would love it even more if they play at UNI dome. Help out UNI in the process.

By then (hopefully) vaccine should being distributed. And (hopefully) President Biden’s national response will be underway. I see lots of positives, play ball.

Great timing vs college football playoffs, bowl games, National Championship game, Pro football games, Super Bowl and NCAA basketball tournament.

it will be a ratings boon.

up next on ESPN is College football playoff semi-final # 1.

and on the Big Ten Network its the Big Ten opener as Purdue takes on Rutgers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT