ADVERTISEMENT

Japan crushes USA in U20 football

He thinks Iowa is cool.

Screenshot-20240627-084413.png

I've never heard of this, who is on the roster?

I can't imagine any guys who are playing high level college football are involved with summer workouts with their team; high level hs recruits are hitting camps working out for possible future coaches.

So what's left, the best in Japan vs a group of random D3 guys and lightly recruited HS kids?

Good for Japan. Knowing them, they most likely studied and worked very hard in preparation of this game.

Have to admit, I get kind of a kick out of the arrogance of people stunned that we - shudder - could lose to someone beneath us.

Canadians have the same reaction in hockey.

I can't imagine any guys who are playing high level college football are involved with summer workouts with their team; high level hs recruits are hitting camps working out for possible future coaches.

So what's left, the best in Japan vs a group of random D3 guys and lightly recruited HS kids?
They can't be. Recruits can, but I think the only college players that are allowed are Juco players in the transfer portal.

https://usafootball.com/media-cente...m-traveling-to-ifaf-world-junior-championship

I searched for a few of the players, most HS level don't have any D1 offers at all. The older players (2023 & 2024 grads) I found one who is on a D1 FCS roster (St. Francis University (Pa.))

These aren't the exactly the cream of the crop U20 talent in this country, not even close.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Does anyone really think America’s best roster was assembled?

It’s like the FIBA years when USA basketball sends a bunch of no-name NBA players to play along with a few recognizable names.

Frankly, if I had a commit from a four or five star player, I would not want him competing in this. I am guessing most players agree. After all, how many of us had even heard of this prior to today?

Reactions: sober_teacher
My main reaction, U20? What? All the American footballers are playing in college and then the NFL, so who exactly did Japan beat? Great for them, they won a match against the USA.

But who did they beat? And whats a U20 comprised of?

Guess I'd care if the Tokyo Dragons shipped over a team and beat the Patriots. No, still wouldn't care.

Reactions: Moral
My main reaction, U20? What? All the American footballers are playing in college and then the NFL, so who exactly did Japan beat? Great for them, they won a match against the USA.

But who did they beat? And whats a U20 comprised of?

Guess I'd care if the Tokyo Dragons shipped over a team and beat the Patriots. No, still wouldn't care.
It's actually all part of the hustle. You have to lose the early stuff so your opponents think they have an easy win in the bag and then when the stakes are really high, that's when you bring in the big guns.

Who did we send? Bishop Syxamore? Goddammit! I didn’t even know they had footbarr over there. This is bad.

I don't find it that odd that a team that is restricted in building it's roster lost to a team that isn't. Football is the ultimate team sport.

I don't find it that odd that a team that is restricted in building it's roster lost to a team that isn't. Football is the ultimate team sport.
From what I heard, the team from Japan has been together for like 7 years. A team like that is going to beat a team that was thrown together in 2 weeks almost every time. It would take a ridiculous amount of difference in athleticism to overcome the difference in ability to play like a team.

From what I heard, the team from Japan has been together for like 7 years. A team like that is going to beat a team that was thrown together in 2 weeks almost every time. It would take a ridiculous amount of difference in athleticism to overcome the difference in ability to play like a team.
yep. and they put restrictions on who the US can roster to make it fair. It was bound to happen at some point. I looked at the US roster and didn't recognize a single player. and they probably had a few weeks to practice.

It's an upset but not shocking to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT