ADVERTISEMENT

Jayden McDonald Transfer

Though the timing of it would certainly suggest football, maybe there is more to it??

*I've been curious about how the lean away from 4-3 would effect LBs that came into the program around this time. Maybe there is something to that as well? I honestly don't know how this effects numbers and reps for these guys overall.

Shit!!! I was literally just asking about him yesterday in the practice photos thread. Wasn't he competing for a starting spot until he got hurt last year? This royally sucks as I thought he had a chance to be up there with some of the best LB's in KF's era.

We have a lot of young talent at LB. He probably feels like his opportunity is limited.

Doyle, Campbell and Jacobs were all 247 4 stars.

Niemann and Wade each have 2 seasons left. Colbert has 3.

Juedy and Klempt are only freshman too. There was bound to be some attrition.

Benson is drawing great reviews and is only a freshman.

Shit!!! I was literally just asking about him yesterday in the practice photos thread. Wasn't he competing for a starting spot until he got hurt last year? This royally sucks as I thought he had a chance to be up there with some of the best LB's in KF's era.

Don't believe he was ever healthy enough to have been legitimately competing last year for a starting spot. He is/was a very intriguing prospect. If he's moving on, best of luck to him. Barring a personal issue necessitating a transfer, I would advise him to stick it out at Iowa at least this year. Injuries and other things happen, guys end up getting a shot that were off the depth chart.

Well that really sucks I had really high hopes for this kid in an iowa uniform wherever he goes he'll make an impact guaranteed well we can only hope this is the only kick in the shorts we're going to get until game time Wish you well Jayden

Last edited:
No, definitely not. He came in pretty raw and injured his ankle just a week into camp. Ended up having to have surgery and didn't make it back to practice until bowl prep in December.

Right now, he's No. 7 behind Welch, Colbert, Niemann, Doyle, Benson, and Wade with true freshmen Jacobs and Campbell off to a good start. That's all for 2 starting LB spots and Welch is the only one that graduates this year. Not everyone is going to stay patient and wait their turn.

We have a lot of young talent at LB. He probably feels like his opportunity is limited.

Doyle, Campbell and Jacobs were all 247 4 stars.

Niemann and Wade each have 2 seasons left. Colbert has 3.

Juedy and Klempt are only freshman too. There was bound to be some attrition.

Benson is drawing great reviews and is only a freshman.
Colbert could not possibly have three. Unless I'm mistaken this is his 3rd year in the program. He's not Jess Settles.....:rolleyes:

Colbert could not possibly have three. Unless I'm mistaken this is his 3rd year in the program. He's not Jess Settles.....:rolleyes:
I think he's saying Colbert has 3 seasons of eligibility remaining counting this season. He redshirted in 2017, played in 2018, and will play in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Kristian Welch is the only scholarship LB on the roster that graduates after the 2019 season.

Isn't Wade sitting with an other injury? I keep root for him but I wonder if he will transfer by the next year. Iowa is going for big space eater like Dillion, Klemp and Niemannn and now Jacobs. 6'3"+ 240 body prototypes.

I remember when he committed I was so excited and kept waiting for him to make an impact, get lots of special teams action, etc.

Too bad it worked out this way. I didn't realize he was that far behind the others competing for time... best of luck to him.

We all better get used to this whole portal thingie........

I agree. The blue bloods will use it to shore up weaknesses while the lesser powers will pick off backups from the blue bloods.

My fear is that teams that don't regularly use it will get left behind. Kirk did occasionally go the Juco route but not frequently. I think Iowa is going to have to buy into it.

I agree. The blue bloods will use it to shore up weaknesses while the lesser powers will pick off backups from the blue bloods.

My fear is that teams that don't regularly use it will get left behind. Kirk did occasionally go the Juco route but not frequently. I think Iowa is going to have to buy into it.
Didn't they pick up as many as 3 receivers through the portal this year? Can't recall if they were all portal but it would seem they are trying to embrace it...

That's too bad hope he sticks with iowa... just because his name is in the portal doesn't mean he will end up leaving, just gives him the opportunity. Hope he decides to stick it out but best of luck wherever he ends up

So how does this work, can he still practice,does he still practice? Do the coaches say get the heck out of here if you don't want to embrace the challenge....I'm curious how this works.

Based on what ?

Reactions: littlez
Wallace had just recently said that the LB room is as deep as it ever had been ... and he said that it would still be the case even if they were still with the old 4-3. Now that guys are competing for primarily two spots ... you had to figure that something had to give. I was as excited as any fan about McDonald ... but his entry into the portal, as much as anything, is an indicator of us having a very strong and healthy LB room.

Besides ... kids want to play early ... and guys from far away tend to suffer even more from homesickness. I wish the young man well.

Last edited:

I had people who were close to the program saying he was one of the top freshman coming in. Said he would of started had he not gotten hurt. Sucks that he’s transferring, but there are some quality Backers still in the system.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Hearing the reason he's leaving is because there are two other guys who have a chance to be up there with some of the best LB's in KF's era. We have rich people problems ;)
Yep if McDonald wants out, then I think we have a good problem on our hands. I had high hopes for him.

Who are the two other guys? I’m assuming Doyle is one

No, definitely not. He came in pretty raw and injured his ankle just a week into camp. Ended up having to have surgery and didn't make it back to practice until bowl prep in December.

Right now, he's No. 7 behind Welch, Colbert, Niemann, Doyle, Benson, and Wade with true freshmen Jacobs and Campbell off to a good start. That's all for 2 starting LB spots and Welch is the only one that graduates this year. Not everyone is going to stay patient and wait their turn.

This. What I have heard from two insiders is that Doyle and Bensen are really turning heads this summer and Jacob's and Campbell are the real deal. Also the Cash position has been a highlight this summer as well. I've also heard that the DL will be among the best in the B1G and don't be surprised if Gholston ends up with over 7 sacks this year.

It is my second-hand understanding that Benson and Doyle really impressed during their redshirt year. You have to believe that McDonald would have been right there with them but for the season-ending injury. Hope he decides to stay but his classmates have lapped him and are pulling away. The highly regarded true freshman LBs are looking to make their mark also. He had a long, long climb just to compete for a back-up spot.

This is a bummer. Was hoping he'd help open up the Georgia recruiting pipeline. But listening to podcasts it is going to get tougher for LB playing time with Iowa dropping down to 2 LBs for most games and not to mention the LB is loaded with young talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT