ADVERTISEMENT

Jbo 28 minutes 0 rebounds 2-11

The attention paid to JBo should open up lanes for other players. They cannot help or sag off him. If you watch the games they are gluing their fastest defender on him. That being said, I do wish he'd have one of those cant' miss games he used to occasionally have prior to surgery.

Reactions: 2432Hawk and BBHawk
Yeah, there's no reason for Toussaint to sit as much as he did in the second half in favor of JBO.

At this point Ulis and Toussaint should be playing together in the second half for offensive reasons let alone the defensive boost it would provide.
Tell me who you'd rather have the ball at end of a close game and the opponent is quickly and intentionally FOULING the player with the ball and subsequently shooting the game winning/sealing free throws? JBo FT's, 6 made of 7 attempts, several at the end of the game.

There is more than 3's where a player can add value. How often have you heard the game announcers say this when a "scorer" is not scoring at a high rate.....many many times.

We won the damn game......going away to a degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willin and BBHawk
The attention paid to JBo should open up lanes for other players. They cannot help or sag off him. If you watch the games they are gluing their fastest defender on him. That being said, I do wish he'd have one of those cant' miss games he used to occasionally have prior to surgery.
I think he is due for one...

Hard to imagine Rock and Roll Face‘s anger after every win.

Yeah, there's no reason for Toussaint to sit as much as he did in the second half in favor of JBO.

At this point Ulis and Toussaint should be playing together in the second half for offensive reasons let alone the defensive boost it would provide.
If Iowa has a lead, JoBo must be in for his leadership and shooting ability, especially at the ft line. He also avoids silly fouls.

If Iowa is trying to get back into the lead, then Joe and Ahron would be great. Both are aggressive defensively and driving to the bucket. And both have been pretty reliably making their fts.

Just something to chew on, we could be a lot worse off in our backcourt. Rob Phinesee is coming off a great game, hitting 4 3's and helping IU beat Minnesota, adding 13 points and some other stats. Fran was talking about how good he has been this year on Hawk Talk (means nothing), but I hopped on IU's forum and he's getting absolutely torn apart. He is statistically awful. IDK how he is previously a 3 year starter, and this year is coming off the bench.

His splits are this year for shooting are:

FG% - 29.9
3PT% - 29.3
FT% - 46.7

playing 20 mpg. he is a career sub 40% FG shooter, sub 30% 3pt shooter and 65% FT shooter. He's gotten worse with age and plays extended minutes. On top of him being poor at PG, Xavier Johnson was abysmal.

Just food for thought when our guys have an off night offensively, just remember that this guy isn't playing 20mpg on your team. he also had 4 TO's last night, so did Johnson.

The announcers go into these games with predetermined talking points because they don't care to learn much about 2 unranked teams.

JbO is usually the secondary talking point because of his records.

He wasn't doing anything last night so they had to talk about running around occupying a defender.

When was the last time you heard someone talk about that? Even though it happens in every game in the world.

Then people repeat it on here like its some sort of important skill. Funny.

Hes not any good at the 2 guard and its really easy to see. Hes easy to stop.

Most 2 guards run around and get open, jbo runs around and doesn't get open.

When he finally does get an inch of breathing room he throws up off balanced junk or takes selfish 3s in transition that should be layups.

• Haha
Reactions: 2432Hawk
Whoever Indiana had guarding jbo would have guarded his sub just as hard.

Yes, Indiana would have still had to guard Tony, Arhon or Joe just as hard. The difference is that they would be able to sag off of any of them to keep them from driving to the basket as none of them have a consistent outside shot to force the defense to extend out past the three point line.

It’s a MESSAGE board, Idiot! We are DISCUSSING and commenting on the game—good and bad. Don’t read it if you don’t want to contribute.
Many are just frickin complaining, whining, nitpicking about the same shit regardless of outcome. And never giving credit to players and coaches. And calling other posters names like "Idiot". (Thanks for capitalizing it at least. Very respectful of you.) I don't keep track of who makes what kinds of comments. Maybe you do give credit where and when it's due. If not, consider doing so from time to time.

In spite of the fact J Bo had another off night, the Indiana D was chasing him all night and focused on staying in his face well away from the 3 point line. He opens up the floor even when he’s not on a hot streak.
This is not true. JBO is the leading three point shooter in B10 history. Other teams have to guard him outside of the three point line, which helps spread out the other teams defense and open up the paint for the other players. I would like to see Perkins play more in place of JBO, but to say JBO would not play for any other B10 team is not true.
He missed multiple wide open shots

Reactions: RocknRollface
There is no other BIG team that jbo (or cMac) get any minutes with
What a silly comment. He could find minutes with Northwestern or Nebraska. Probably with PSU as well. Maybe Rutgers too, they don't play defense either. But definitely NOT WISKY MATERIAL.

In spite of the fact J Bo had another off night, the Indiana D was chasing him all night and focused on staying in his face well away from the 3 point line. He opens up the floor even when he’s not on a hot streak.
when was the last time he was on a hot streak?

In B1G games only, he is a cumulative 5 for 20.
He made 3 of 6 vs Wisconsin, with all three makes happening late in the game with the outcome decided and Davison basically on the bench.

He has had a great career. But, the jig is up. If I am a coach, he is the only Iowa player I need to guard on the perimeter. Keegan is a nightmare matchup for anyone. But JBo is the only other scoring threat. Why let him have space? Guard him and he's completely boggled and non-existent.

JBo can shoot FT and is a team leader. Those are his only assets.
Prove me wrong. Don't come at me with the, "well, but he did this in 2019 or 2020" BS, or "he made 6 triples against Longwood earlier this year" drivel.

Jbo is good for us, but has been in a slump. He is always someone you have to keep your eye on no matter how he’s been cuz he can always get hot. That being said averaging 27-30 mpg last 3 games doing absolutely nothing is nothing less than a joke. Slash the minutes because he’s not producing. We have other capable players that do more on both ends that we need to invest into, because they are the future. He’s had a great career but just cuz he’s a leader and experienced and can explode doesn’t mean he can’t do exactly what he’s been doing with less minutes. I’ve been saying all year he’s the perfect 6th man. Put Pmac and him on the bench, start Kris and Tony, give him confidence. If they start to make costly mistakes take em off for a bit let them get a breather and reset, same for everyone else. But IMO even when those guys make mistakes, they are difference makers. We need them on the floor more than we need Jbo.

Reactions: unclesammy
I'm torn on Kris starting. I think he stays a bench player but gets way more minutes in my ideal world. The issue with him starting is the subs are less potent when the hockey line change happens.
Then get rid of the hockey line change...those 2 guys should be on the court 30+ minutes, period. Kris is far and away the 2nd best player by metrics. Iowa has been getting off to awful starts. I think we've trailed at the half in all 5 conference games.

when was the last time he was on a hot streak?

In B1G games only, he is a cumulative 5 for 20.
He made 3 of 6 vs Wisconsin, with all three makes happening late in the game with the outcome decided and Davison basically on the bench.

He has had a great career. But, the jig is up. If I am a coach, he is the only Iowa player I need to guard on the perimeter. Keegan is a nightmare matchup for anyone. But JBo is the only other scoring threat. Why let him have space? Guard him and he's completely boggled and non-existent.

JBo can shoot FT and is a team leader. Those are his only assets.
Prove me wrong. Don't come at me with the, "well, but he did this in 2019 or 2020" BS, or "he made 6 triples against Longwood earlier this year" drivel.

Even if JBo does not have a big game the rest of the season, you stated why he is important to the team in offense. He is the only player that needs to be guarded on the perimeter. The other teams have to follow JBo out past the three point line, which spreads out the defense so they cannot sit back in the paint. This opens up driving lanes for Keegan, Kris, Joe and Patrick.

I do believe JBo should not play as many minutes as he has been playing and think those minutes should go to Tony. That being said, JBo does still have value on the floor if he is not making shots as long as the other team feels they need to guard him twenty five feet from the basket.

Then get rid of the hockey line change...those 2 guys should be on the court 30+ minutes, period. Kris is far and away the 2nd best player by metrics. Iowa has been getting off to awful starts. I think we've trailed at the half in all 5 conference games.
Completely agree. But it's been what 12/13 years now and that hasn't gone anywhere. So I'm not expecting much to change.

Whoever Indiana had guarding jbo would have guarded his
Yes, Indiana would have still had to guard Tony, Arhon or Joe just as hard. The difference is that they would be able to sag off of any of them to keep them from driving to the basket as none of them have a consistent outside shot to force the defense to extend out past the three point line
Yes, Indiana would have still had to guard Tony, Arhon or Joe just as hard. The difference is that they would be able to sag off of any of them to keep them from driving to the basket as none of them have a consistent outside shot to force the defense to extend out past the three point line.
Offense seemed fine when Jbo wasn’t on floor. There is more to bball than “being closely guarded”. He had 1 AST and 0 Reb.
Even if JBo does not have a big game the rest of the season, you stated why he is important to the team in offense. He is the only player that needs to be guarded on the perimeter. The other teams have to follow JBo out past the three point line, which spreads out the defense so they cannot sit back in the paint. This opens up driving lanes for Keegan, Kris, Joe and Patrick.

I do believe JBo should not play as many minutes as he has been playing and think those minutes should go to Tony. That being said, JBo does still have value on the floor if he is not making shots as long as the other team feels they need to guard him twenty five feet from the basket.
Decoy status would be fine if he could rebound or play D at all. He's averaging 0.6 Reb and 1 Ast in Big Ten Play. Given our rebounding / defensive woes are greater than the ability to score. I just wish Fran would try it for a couple games.

I Personally I like the driving ability, defense and rebounding increased minutes for Perkins and Ulis would bring. I just want Jbo at 15-20 minutes, not benched, think most of us agree on that.

JBO is a great shooter when open. When not open (90% of the time) he is a below average. At every other skill, he sucks.

Cmac is the same other than he isnt a good shooter when open

Offense seemed fine when Jbo wasn’t on floor. There is more to bball than “being closely guarded”. He had 1 AST and 0 Reb.

Decoy status would be fine if he could rebound or play D at all. He's averaging 0.6 Reb and 1 Ast in Big Ten Play. Given our rebounding / defensive woes are greater than the ability to score. I just wish Fran would try it for a couple games.

I Personally I like the driving ability, defense and rebounding increased minutes for Perkins and Ulis would bring. I just want Jbo at 15-20 minutes, not benched, think most of us agree on that.

I agree with you. My point was for those who feel that JBo should not be on the floor at all.

I have not seen JBo get many wide open shots. That being said, he still has value in the floor as long as the other team feels they need to guard him twenty plus feet from the basket. I have said that I think he should be playing fewer minutes though.
He did get a couple open looks off offensive rebound kick outs.

But usually he gets little to no good looks in a game.

Jbo has done what he's done and credit him for that. With this being said, there are better options when he has nights like last night. Perkins, Ulis, Joe T., or Sandfort all bring the possibility of scoring beyond jacking a deep rushed 3. I wish Jbo would take what the d gives him. Ball fake or come of a screen and take the mid-range shot. The running floaters he and Pmac take fall about 10% of the time. Nobody better at the end of games to seal the deal at the line, but the team needs more overall productivity from the SG spot.

Unbelievable performance by Kris. I have been critical of Connor, but will give him credit for being the co-MVP last night. He made some big plays defensively and didn't let the team fold when it looked like they were on the ropes. Anyone know what the dust up at halftime was about?
Not to disagree, BUT the problem with the "when he has nights like last night" has one big flaw. Shooters are streaky. You don't know the guys going to go 1 for 7 until he goes 1 for 7. He could miss the first 4 and then make 5 or 6 in a row, and you don't know that until it happens. Watched Rutgers play the other today. Harper Jr, started cold missing most of his first half dozen shots. Got hot in the second half as was making everything from deep, ended up with 31 points in their first road win in conference in a couple of years. Shooters gotta keep shooting..

Opens the floor up? Think of it this way. If you can’t get a shot off in 36 minutes of a game then you aren’t that hard to guard.
Ive said it before: if jbo is hunting shots I’m ok with him being in,even if shooting poorly. He can catch fire as quick as anyone.
the problem is your shooting guard can’t go 36 minutes without shooting or be way more famine than feast.

Not to disagree, BUT the problem with the "when he has nights like last night" has one big flaw. Shooters are streaky. You don't know the guys going to go 1 for 7 until he goes 1 for 7. He could miss the first 4 and then make 5 or 6 in a row, and you don't know that until it happens. Watched Rutgers play the other today. Harper Jr, started cold missing most of his first half dozen shots. Got hot in the second half as was making everything from deep, ended up with 31 points in their first road win in conference in a couple of years. Shooters gotta keep shooting..
Fair points. The issue with Jbo is that he isn't good at creating anything for himself and teams aren't going to lose track of him in the half court. The looks he is getting are not very good--deep and contested, so his % is going to suffer.

Fran needs to get creative and find some mid-range shots for Jbo. He is too good of a shooter not to leverage more effectively in the offense.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Fair points. The issue with Jbo is that he isn't good at creating anything for himself and teams aren't going to lose track of him in the half court. The looks he is getting are not very good--deep and contested, so his % is going to suffer.

Fran needs to get creative and find some mid-range shots for Jbo. He is too good of a shooter not to leverage more effectively in the offense.
Fair enough. There definetly is a balance there somewhere. Even if Jbo is mostly a decoy, and draws someone out to guard him, at least he opens the lane up for other slashers, and makes it that much harder for teams to double down on Keegan, so he does add value. I would say I'd probably not play him much with Cmac at the same time, as this could eliminate some of those gains..

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I find the decoy premise a bit flimsy to justify his minutes.
My preference would still be to have him come off the bench and look for shots. If he's hitting then more minutes, if not then he sits. If there's a lead in the last minute or two of the game then he plays for free throw shooting.

I find the decoy premise a bit flimsy to justify his minutes.
My preference would still be to have him come off the bench and look for shots. If he's hitting then more minutes, if not then he sits. If there's a lead in the last minute or two of the game then he plays for free throw shooting.
I never said he was just a decoy, did I? I said that he provides value partly because he's a bonafide threat from outside, which makes it harder for the defense to double down on Keegan......

I really did think he was going to have a good year this year but now its quite clear and obvious that he should not be playing 30 minutes while Ulis/Perkins get 24 total. Inexcusable. Yes you can point to some mistakes by Perkins but he's not going to get better sitting on the bench, especially for a guy who has been shooting 25% from three in Big Ten play! I just dont get it.. i love JBo, he could/should have a nice little role off the bench if used correctly but hes not and its frustrating. ..

Trying to win games and developing Perkins/Ulis/Sandfort should be one in the same

Hopefully that doesnt count as a personal attack and i really dont like complaining.. i just really really really like the young backcourt and them not getting the right amount of consistent minutes is extreeeemely frustrating to me.

Aaaaaanywho. Football is on

All I will say about JBo we need a lot better from him shooting wise in Big 10 play. 6 games he is 7-28. Need 40% or better. Amazing we won our last 2 with him going 3-15.

Reactions: unclesammy
His play against Minnesota and the minutes he garnered were unacceptable. JBO kills Iowa defensively and when he's not getting and hitting his 3's, disaster is around the corner.

If Iowa has a lead, JoBo must be in for his leadership and shooting ability, especially at the ft line. He also avoids silly fouls.

If Iowa is trying to get back into the lead, then Joe and Ahron would be great. Both are aggressive defensively and driving to the bucket. And both have been pretty reliably making their fts.
Joe T. and Tony P. over 90% at the line which is higher than JBO. Not a bad idea to have all three in the game at free throw time. Uhlis must be close to 85%. Kris M. is the enigma at the line.

Reactions: BBHawk
Joe T. and Tony P. over 90% at the line which is higher than JBO. Not a bad idea to have all three in the game at free throw time. Uhlis must be close to 85%. Kris M. is the enigma at the line.
Correction. Sandfort over 90%, not Joe T. Touissant over 83%.

Reactions: BBHawk

Correction. Sandfort over 90%, not Joe T. Touissant over 83%.
I think Iowa definitely should have JoBo and Keegan on the floor at the end of a game for their FT shooting. Uhlis and Joe T are also normally reliable there, too, and are excellent ball handlers. Rebraca, no, too much of a liability at the line. PMac, probably. Connor is too inconsistent. Sandfort is still a little too inexperienced to be expected to hold a lead, but he is a damn good shooter. Maybe by March if he can stop the boneheaded plays.

Jbo's shot selection is going to play a big part in Iowa winning or losing the 50-50 games down the stretch. It's hard to tell a guy who has delivered as many times as he has to not shoot, but the shots he is taking early in the shot clock or in transition are not good shots. He has to trust he can get that shot and likely a better one by working the clock and getting Keegan a touch or two.

I also think Fran needs to think about late clock/game situations differently. Jbo as a decoy in these situations makes sense. Jbo as the shot taker doesn't given how much attention he gets. If he gets a shot up, it's a deep contested shot that is more of a heave than a shot.

I'm all for JT, Ulis, and Perkins getting more minutes. But at this point, they're all hesitant shooters/non-shooters. Look how much Minnesota was sagging off of JT, clogging up the lane that Keegan benefits from.

Jbo had a lot of good looks on Sunday - but they just didn't go in. I fully expect Jbo to get back to the mean. He's not shooting well as of late but his six years prove he will get back to his normal numbers. Heck, look at Stephen Curry, the greatest shooter of all time. He's currently shooting 27% this month.

ADVERTISEMENT