ADVERTISEMENT

JBo & Luka can return next year if they choose to. Nunge can be 5th year Sophomore Next Year as well

I am predicting two consecutive national championships for Iowa before @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Are you suggesting a double national championship?...............................

KPdGRNm.jpg

Am I the only one that sees this as a terrible idea? The only way I would grant an extra year to a player is if he sat out this season due to concerns about the virus. Will they also expand the number of players on each team? What about the incoming HS players? If everyone on a team opts to come back for another year, does that mean they can't take on additional incoming freshmen? What am I missing?

Am I the only one that sees this as a terrible idea? The only way I would grant an extra year to a player is if he sat out this season due to concerns about the virus. Will they also expand the number of players on each team? What about the incoming HS players? If everyone on a team opts to come back for another year, does that mean they can't take on additional incoming freshmen? What am I missing?

If it's the same as what they've done for spring and fall sports, senior players who take advantage of this will not count toward scholarship limits for 2021-22. Here's what they had to say about fall sports:

• The financial aid of fall sport senior student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility and extended clock will not count against team limits in 2021-22.

I agree. At some point they need to move on from all this. If we have a season, then why give the players another year? All this does is screw up the next several recruiting classes and add expense to already troubled athletic budgets . Now if they cancel the season, like they did for spring sports last year, I get having an argument for this, but thats not whats needed here...

If it's the same as what they've done for spring and fall sports, senior players who take advantage of this will not count toward scholarship limits for 2021-22. Here's what they had to say about fall sports:

• The financial aid of fall sport senior student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility and extended clock will not count against team limits in 2021-22.
Fall or winter?
So they already gave football an extra year?

Luka will be moving on to Europe or the NBA, JBo may be ready to move along as well. Nunge has played very little and is in his 3rd year. Most good athletes and or students are ready to move on.

Reactions: Mitjacks
JBo with a shot to shatter records for most games played. Potentially 5 full seasons plus the pre-medical redshirt games this past season,

I really don’t like announcing this before the games. If there are lost games because of quarantines then it makes sense. If a player decides to sit out because of risk, give them a free medical redshirt. But if we can get through 30 games with no issue and we have a tournament, why shouldn’t that count as a full season of eligibility? Honestly I’d rather they give the guys that got screwed at the end of last year a free season.

There will be 25 players on the basketball team next year. Some of them will be only a few years from Social Security eligibility. As someone stated above.....its time to move on. I feel bad for high school kids who will struggle to get a scholarship because a 30 year old, 6th year player is taking their spot.

Reactions: kceasthawk
There will be 25 players on the basketball team next year. Some of them will be only a few years from Social Security eligibility. As someone stated above.....its time to move on. I feel bad for high school kids who will struggle to get a scholarship because a 30 year old, 6th year player is taking their spot.
Exactly. You can't just keep stacking these recruiting classes on top of each other. I pretty much guarantee you that Luka and JBO aren't coming back for year 5 or 6, or 8 whatever it is. Remember these guys also have to be working towards a degree or a masters or something, that can't just stay and play basketball.

I agree. At some point they need to move on from all this. If we have a season, then why give the players another year? All this does is screw up the next several recruiting classes and add expense to already troubled athletic budgets . Now if they cancel the season, like they did for spring sports last year, I get having an argument for this, but thats not whats needed here...
It would suck for teams with guys opting to the NBA, it doesn't really suck for us having a bunch of really good college players who probably won't see the NBA.

I have absolutely nothing against any of them, but I hope they don't use any additional eligibility. They actually appear to have a promising FR class, how many of those guys would stay if they knew JBo, Garza, Nunge, Wieskamp were still going to be around another year or two after they were expected to be gone?

Dead serious, I fully expect JBo, Garza and Wieskamp to be gone after this season. And that's perfectly fine. Move forward, make another run in a couple of years.

30yo? These aren't australian punters ;)

It would suck for teams with guys opting to the NBA, it doesn't really suck for us having a bunch of really good college players who probably won't see the NBA.
This is entirely true from a competitive standpoint for our school, Wisconsin, and many others. The top schools in the conference will lose players to the NBA, if we don’t and everyone decides to return for one more go around, that could make for an amazing season.

But, that does feel like it takes away from the game. Part of the struggle that makes college basketball so fun is knowing that you only get these guys for a limited time and you better enjoy them while they’re here.

I will say this, if the season gets cancelled early, only plays a very small schedule, or the tournament gets cancelled again, I have no problem with anyone wanting another year. It absolutely isn’t fair to a guy like Garza to have two tournament opportunities taken away from him because of the situation. Just throw away any statistics from this season for everybody and every team and consider it an extra redshirt if one of those situations happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT