ADVERTISEMENT

Jesus. We make it so hard to solve easy problems in this country.

That’s a problem that’s not at all limited to Florida and those pieces of human fecal excrement aren’t MAGA either but I think you’re just having another emotional explosion and ignoring that fact.

Again I was commenting on the 'communism' tweet comment

Again I was commenting on the 'communism' tweet comment
You need to straighten the hell up just to be honest.
You used to be one of my very favorites because you had the sarcasm stuff down, you’re smart as hell and were an astute observer of the human condition but maybe it’s because you’re stuck in Matt Gaetz’s district that you’ve become so angry. Truthfully I might be too cause he’s a world class jerk.
Fight it, bro.

Last edited:
No kidding. Because the real issue is apparently the subletting, not the squatting. #rollseyesthroughbackofskull
YouTube is full of this squatter eviction crap and honestly if I had a firearm and I was an owner I’d be over at that house armed - with tow trucks, Utility cutoff folks, and bolt cutters.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
and now a lawyer
Actually have experience in rentals and rent law.

I know my local statutes. And what may happen if you rent to someone w/o a written, signed lease.
You could learn quite a bit about that with a handful of Google searches, if you wanted. I have an entire folder of documents/guidelines on it on my main computer. Some of them put together by my lawyer.

You need to straighten the hell up just to be honest.
You used to be one of my very favorites because had the sarcasm stuff down, you’re smart as hell and were an astute observer of the human condition but maybe it’s because you’re stuck in Matt Gaetz’s district that you’ve become so angry. Truthfully I might be too cause he’s a world class jerk.
Fight it, bro.

Probably a lot of truth to that

YouTube is full of this squatter eviction crap and honestly if I had a firearm and I was an owner I’d be over at that house armed - with tow trucks, Utility cutoff folks, and bolt cutters.

Simple solution is for the owner to move back in and change the locks.

Retain the renter's ability to live there (one room) until he is evicted, but he only gets back inside when you are home and no longer has a key. Ergo, also cannot "sublet" the property w/o any current keys. If he steals any of your stuff, you file criminal complaints and have him arrested.

And you can easily get "changeable" locks from Kwikset, which allow you to change the keyset in about 5 minutes.

Reactions: goldmom
Actually have experience in rentals and rent law.

I know my local statutes. And what may happen if you rent to someone w/o a written, signed lease.
You could learn quite a bit about that with a handful of Google searches, if you wanted. I have an entire folder of documents/guidelines on it on my main computer. Some of them put together by my lawyer.
Your lawyer is an idiot or you are, or maybe both. You do not have to put in a lease that someone cannot use a rental as an Airbnb. It would not have sped up the process at all. As soon the renter was delinquent enough for an eviction, that is all that matters. Anything additional that the renter does that broke the lease is just gravy. It doesn’t speed up the process at all.

Your lawyer is an idiot or you are, or maybe both. You do not have to put in a lease that someone cannot use a rental as an Airbnb.

Uh, yes. You do.

It is under "subletting" allowances. And you CAN stipulate that subletting is not allowed and/or restrict under what conditions it is allowed.

And if you do not put together any formal lease agreement, then things revert to city/county/state statutes.

Anything additional that the renter does that broke the lease is just gravy.
Know what else you can restrict in a lease?

How many people are allowed to reside at the property. You can formally remove/evict any over that limit. And generally the police can remove them as trespassers.

Again: this guy made a shit-ton of rookie landlord mistakes. Sucks that he has a shitty tenant. But that's what those formalities are designed to mitigate the risks of.

100% certainty he never ran any background check on his renter.

Know what else you can restrict in a lease?

How many people are allowed to reside at the property. You can formally remove/evict any over that limit. And generally the police can remove them as trespassers.

Again: this guy made a shit-ton of rookie landlord mistakes. Sucks that he has a shitty tenant. But that's what those formalities are designed to mitigate the risks of.

100% certainty he never ran any background check on his renter.
Again - the story is about a squatter in Seattle. You clearly have no idea the unfortunate rights these losers are afforded there and many other places. How iron clad the lease was wouldn’t have changed a thing. Hell, it wouldn't have mattered if the guy actually rented him the property at all if the house was empty and bum moved in and claimed squatters rights.

Last edited:
I used to own several multi family building but got out a few years ago because of stuff like this. Happens a lot and its extremely difficult to evict a tenant. We had one guy that didnt pay any rent for 3 years before we finally got him out.

Examples?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ida-home-Afghan-war-veteran-refuse-leave.html

According the solider and his wife, the strangers had broken into their home, changed the locks and are refusing to leave.

To add insult to injury, officials at the Pasco County Sheriff's department have informed the couple that they have no legal grounds to evict the man and woman.

…the law enforcement official informed her that because it was a civil matter, his hands were tied.

I’d call the police to clean up the two burglars I found in my house.

I used to own several multi family building but got out a few years ago because of stuff like this. Happens a lot and it’s extremely difficult to evict a tenant. We had one guy that didnt pay any rent for 3 years before we finally got him out.
Childhood friend’s dad had a great setup.
Niceville, FL is against the bayous to the south and surrounded on three sides by Eglin AFB.
He was a retire Lt Col, Purdue grad and working as an engineer with probably some defense contractor.
The door from their kitchen to the garage was a huge array of keys to 22 duplexes. The were mostly 1950-60s cinderblock builds. He had one handyman he staffed, and he just advertised them in the base paper. Any problem collecting or otherwise could be straightened out quickly with a call to their sergeant.
Must be worth an absolute mint if they weren’t sold off and the lots rebuilt on by now.

Owner did not do a competent job of protecting himself.
Probably didn't do any background checks on his renter, either.

It is entirely "his fault" for not protecting his own interests properly and legally.
Im guessing the owner is like a lot of people who watch all these property flipping shows or listen to Dave Ramsey and thinks being a landlord is as simple as collecting rent.

If i had a desire to be in the business of renting out property, the thought of dealing with tenants would instantly kill that desire

Under normal circumstances, yes; but not in these squatting situations in some states.

Again: Most leases allow you to set criteria more restrictive than the basic laws in their states - more restrictive agreements which still are in line with the laws.

When you do NOT establish a written lease, which is likely what happened with this guy, you lose MANY of the rights you could have asserted as a property owner.

Again - the story is about a squatter in Seattle. You clearly have no idea the unfortunate rights these losers are afforded there and many other places.

Which is EXACTLY what I am explaining to you: the OWNER of the property should have done that research and gotten advisement from a lawyer BEFORE renting out his house. And obviously, he doesn't have a 2nd house, which is why he's living out of a van.

Bad Idea Jeans to rent out your ONLY property in a state or area that has lax laws in place protecting landlords/property owners.

How iron clad the lease was wouldn’t have changed a thing.
Yes, it would.

Written leases CAN supersede local statutes when they are signed. W/o a written lease, you have FEWER rights as a property owner in dealing with squatters.

The guy is so Beta he won't even change the locks on his own property and make the renter inside on his own schedule. If that's my place, dude can wait on the porch until I get back from work or drinking with friends to get back inside. When that becomes a big enough inconvenience, he'll move on.

Childhood friend’s dad had a great setup.
Niceville, FL is against the bayous to the south and surrounded on three sides by Eglin AFB.
He was a retire Lt Col, Purdue grad and working as an engineer with probably some defense contractor.
The door from their kitchen to the garage was a huge array of keys to 22 duplexes. The were mostly 1950-60s cinderblock builds. He had one handyman he staffed, and he just advertised them in the base paper. Any problem collecting or otherwise could be straightened out quickly with a call to their sergeant.
Must be worth an absolute mint if they weren’t sold off and the lots rebuilt on by now.
Active military who fail to pay rent can be reported to their CO and that rent will be paid.

Only a dipshit like Joe would place blame on the landlord and not the piece of shit squatter. Jesus Christ dude, you are insufferable.
Maybe for Desantis next trick he'll bus some squatters into Bernie's lake house for the lulz.

Only a dipshit like Joe would place blame on the landlord

Again: Landlord did not do his homework. And got burned by someone he did not vet.

There are lots of pieces of shit out there who will take advantage of any situation, and if you fail to protect yourself from those scenarios regarding your primary home, that's entirely on you.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
What does "communism" have to do with this?

Rental property owner probably should have researched how you evict tenants who are delinquent (which is WHY most seasoned renters charge first/last/deposit - 3 months rent - because that's how long it takes to evict someone based on LOCAL laws).

Rents would be CHEAPER if getting rid of problem renters were EASIER for property owners.
The video says in that area it’s a 12 month process. It wouldn’t have mattered.

Again - the story is about a squatter in Seattle. You clearly have no idea the unfortunate rights these losers are afforded there and many other places. How iron clad the lease was wouldn’t have changed a thing. Hell, it wouldn't have mattered if the guy actually rented him the property at all if the house was empty and bum moved in and claimed squatters rights.
Different states do indeed have different laws about evictions and some are in need of overhauling for sure.
Again: Landlord did not do his homework. And got burned by someone he did not vet.

There are lots of pieces of shit out there who will take advantage of any situation, and if you fail to protect yourself from those scenarios regarding your primary home, that's entirely on you.
aside from the fact that said POS’s never have to straighten up and fly right or learn their lesson it’s someone else’s fault in Joe’s world.

aside from the fact that said POS’s never have to straighten up and fly right or learn their lesson it’s someone else’s fault in Joe’s world.

Google up Washington's lease laws.

Sub-letting is not covered in their statutes; whatever your lease says, goes.
Owner didn't do his homework, and is being taken advantage of because he was naive.

No one is arguing the renter isn't a POS. But the owner left himself unnecessarily exposed on this one.

Like I said: Let the guy continue to rent, but change all the locks. He gets back inside, when you get home. And he cannot sublet a property that people cannot get into. He can wait on the porch for you to get home and let him in. If he breaks in, that is vandalism, and have him arrested for it.

Better yet, invite him to make up a dinner. Give him a kitchen knife to chop up some onion, then waste him with your 9mm Glock. Tell the cops he threatened you with it (cuz his prints are on it) and you're done. Win - win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT