ADVERTISEMENT

Jill Biden experiences "rare" COVID rebound...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
(CNN)First lady Dr. Jill Biden has tested positive for a rebound case of Covid-19, her deputy communications director Kelsey Donohue confirmed to CNN.

Biden, who is currently in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, tested positive again for Covid-19 with an antigen test on Wednesday. She tested negative during a routine test on Tuesday.

Donohue says the first lady has not had a reemergence of symptoms. She added that a "small number of close contacts" with whom Biden had recent contact have been notified.

Biden first tested positive on August 15 while vacationing in Kiawah Island, South Carolina. The first lady had "cold-like symptoms," according to Alexander, and was put on a cycle of the antiviral drug Paxlovid, which can trigger a rebound case of Covid-19 in some people several days after a negative test result.

Biden had two consecutive negative tests on Sunday and traveled from South Carolina to join President Joe Biden in Delaware.

President Biden tested negative Wednesday, a White House official told CNN. Following US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, the President will mask for 10 days indoors because he is considered a close contact, the official said.

The President also took Paxlovid when he had Covid-19 last month, and he eventually tested positive for a rebound case of Covid-19, following initial negative tests.

Donohue told CNN that Jill Biden will remain at the family beach house in Delaware until she once again has two consecutive negative test results.

(CNN)First lady Dr. Jill Biden has tested positive for a rebound case of Covid-19, her deputy communications director Kelsey Donohue confirmed to CNN.

Biden, who is currently in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, tested positive again for Covid-19 with an antigen test on Wednesday. She tested negative during a routine test on Tuesday.

Donohue says the first lady has not had a reemergence of symptoms. She added that a "small number of close contacts" with whom Biden had recent contact have been notified.

Biden first tested positive on August 15 while vacationing in Kiawah Island, South Carolina. The first lady had "cold-like symptoms," according to Alexander, and was put on a cycle of the antiviral drug Paxlovid, which can trigger a rebound case of Covid-19 in some people several days after a negative test result.

Biden had two consecutive negative tests on Sunday and traveled from South Carolina to join President Joe Biden in Delaware.

President Biden tested negative Wednesday, a White House official told CNN. Following US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, the President will mask for 10 days indoors because he is considered a close contact, the official said.

The President also took Paxlovid when he had Covid-19 last month, and he eventually tested positive for a rebound case of Covid-19, following initial negative tests.

Donohue told CNN that Jill Biden will remain at the family beach house in Delaware until she once again has two consecutive negative test results.

Thanks to vaccines, even though she's in a "high risk" group, she's going to experience mild disease here.

Paxlovid suppresses the viral load enough to give a negative test result. But if the virus is still replicating once the Paxlovid is no longer being administered you end up testing positive again.

It's basically holding the virus off long enough for your body to produce more antibodies, to prevent more severe disease.

Covid is becoming "more flu-like" because of the medicines and vaccines and exposures we're all getting; it is STILL more dangerous than flu, and just like flu we may encounter severe variants in future years, which WILL require mitigations like masking and distancing to prevent repeats of 2020 and 2021. As of now, we are not seeing variants like that for this year/winter.

Paxlovid suppresses the viral load enough to give a negative test result. But if the virus is still replicating once the Paxlovid is no longer being administered you end up testing positive again.

This is what confuses me. When I tested positive everything I read said you could continue to test positive for a couple of months. Which isn't to say you could not get a negative reading in there. So how can they tell the difference between an actual "second infection" versus still testing positive from the first case?

My understanding is that rebound COVID when you take Paxlovid is not exactly rare although it's usually mild.

This is what confuses me. When I tested positive everything I read said you could continue to test positive for a couple of months. Which isn't to say you could not get a negative reading in there. So how can they tell the difference between an actual "second infection" versus still testing positive from the first case?

IDK, when I had COVID the first time I isolated in an RV and after my 10 days where up I took another COVID test just to make my wife feel better and it came out negative. Although I was concerned because I did read that you can still test positive for months.

I think the rebound is essentially a re-emergence of symptoms.

My friend's wife had one of those rebound cases. It was pretty crazy. She had recovered and even golfed in our couples league on Monday --- seemed fine --- by Wednesday she felt sick again and was super sick through that weekend.

Covid is a very odd virus. It has such a wide array of outcomes on people.
Are you sure that’s all on the virus and not on the premise that we’re f*cking with our immune systems with all these mrna injections and anti-virals?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Thanks to vaccines, even though she's in a "high risk" group, she's going to experience mild disease here.
Thanks to vaccines? How do you know? Omicron had very low rates of severe illness in South Africa without vaccines. We now have plenty of studies that show very low efficacy 8 weeks after being boosted.
I've easily had >11 "flu shot boosters" in my day...
No you haven't. Annual flu shots aren't boosters. They are tailored to the variant of the virus that's predicted to be dominant each year.

I got 4-5 polio shots as a kid.

And polio has a lower mortality rate than Covid does.
4 shots in 4-6 years for a vaccine that took 20 years to come to market vs. 4-5 shots (so far) in < 2 years for an experimental vaccine that went from sequencing to production in 11 months for a bug with a 99.8% survival rate.

Reactions: ICHerky
You guys are going to get so charted and graphed

charlie-day.gif

I don’t dislike Jill Biden at all - and I hope she’s on the mend quickly.

And I will get the new and improved Pfizer booster when it comes out next month. Y’all make your own choice.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I don’t dislike Jill Biden at all - and I hope she’s on the mend quickly.

And I will get the new and improved Pfizer booster when it comes out next month. Y’all make your own choice.
This is the way it should be; live your life as you see fit.

Personally, I have no concerns about covid or the flu or monkeypox or polio or whatever bug•of•the•month the CDC comes out with so no shots for me.

It's the same infection. After the initial positive test result, the patient takes Paxlovid for five days. This medication suppresses the body's viral load enough that a rapid antigen test shows negative. But the virus is still in the body and still replicating. So once the five-day course of Paxlovid is complete, the viral load starts increasing again and then after a few days another positive test result occurs.

All in one year? Or spread out over several years of your childhood?
Got a ton of shots "all in one year" as a kid.

Not sure why anyone is surprised that we needed multiple shots when an entirely new virus emerged.
And with Covid mutating much faster than was originally expected, the need for several shots "out of the gate" is really unsurprising.

We will likely get boosters or update shots annually or semi-annually, like for flu. Covid shots are way more effective than annual flu shots are. For a disease that is way more serious than flu. We're still on pace for 125k-150k deaths/yr right now (2500-3000/wk), which is 5x worse than a typical flu year.

4 shots in 4-6 years for a vaccine that took 20 years to come to market vs. 4-5 shots (so far) in < 2 years for an experimental vaccine that went from sequencing to production in 11 months for a bug with a 99.8% survival rate.
Covid has a similar disease survival rate to polio. And, it is WAY more transmissable.

Then don't go to the ER when you have a bad reaction to an otherwise vaccinable disease.
Don't burden the healthcare system for your own poor choices.
Yeah. Cuz that’s how it works. 🤡

Meanwhile the 450 pound, electric scooter-bound diabetic with congestive heart failure and no insurance is good to go. Since he’s current on his jabs, eh?

Because the rates of serious illness AND death are >3x lower in the "vaccinated" groups.

Easy-peasy.
Not everywhere, i.e., Europe and Australia. Even US statistical studies now show efficacy only lasts about 8 weeks for boosters.

Then don't go to the ER when you have a bad reaction to an otherwise vaccinable disease.
Don't burden the healthcare system for your own poor choices.
had covid, didn't die, didn't go to the ER, had delta... most people are just pussies or have been scared out of their mind by the lying ass media and dr fraudci.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Not everywhere, i.e., Europe and Australia. Even US statistical studies now show efficacy only lasts about 8 weeks for boosters.
For "re-infection"

Protection against severe Covid (ICU or death) is still robust.

ADVERTISEMENT