ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh wants to share BigTen TV money with players

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Lots of interesting quotes in the article.

As the Big Ten finalizes a TV deal that could generate more than $1 billion for the league, two influential figures at Michigan have voiced support for something that once would have been unthinkable in college sports: sharing money with the players.

Coach Jim Harbaugh broached the subject at Big Ten media days when asked about a comment attributed to Ohio State coach Ryan Day, who reportedly told business leaders in Columbus that the Buckeyes needed $13 million in name, image and likeness deals to keep their roster intact.

“My thoughts were, ‘I think we can do more,’” Harbaugh said. “Maybe we can even double that. I think that’s possible, and I think it’s going in a terrific direction that way.”

That idea has support from Jordan Acker, a member of Michigan’s board of regents and the board’s former chairman. Acker published an op-ed in Sportico last week encouraging university trustees to be proactive on player compensation rather than allowing decisions to be dictated by the courts or lawmakers. For Acker, hearing Harbaugh express a similar sentiment was an indication of an attitude shift among leaders in college sports.

“I thought that was really smart of Coach Harbaugh,” Acker said. “That’s exactly how we should be thinking.”

The article also has some quotes from Warren on the subject. Here is one:

Though Warren hardly provided a full-throated endorsement for sharing money with players, he indicated the Big Ten wasn’t afraid to act independently of other leagues in setting its own policies.

“I look forward for the Big Ten Conference to be bold and a leader in that area as we work through what’s right for our student-athletes,” Warren said.

The degree to which NIL has been bastardized, and will continue to be, is ridiculous. And it took no time at all.

The degree to which NIL has been bastardized, and will continue to be, is ridiculous. And it took no time at all.
Yeah. Obviously this wouldn’t be NIL but I agree that once the can of worms was opened and players started earning some money, it’s a pretty slippery slope from there to the schools paying the players directly.

And then it opens up lots of other issues like the players being considered employees, do they get long-term health benefits, what is the school liability for injuries, how do you stay in compliance with Title 9, etc…

Not sure, title IV could be a problem. Do football/basketball bring in revenue to warrant it, yes.
But dilute the $$ across rowing, etc and you either triple the cost or payout.

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
Not sure, title IV could be a problem. Do football/basketball bring in revenue to warrant it, yes.
But dilute the $$ across rowing, etc and you either triple the cost or payout.
I suspect they will need to spin off the revenue sports into a separate legal entity. The first time I heard someone suggest that idea I thought it was absurd but the more I think about it, the more I think it might have to happen to avoid some of the problems that would likely arise with paying players. There was a long article posted a month or so ago with a bunch of quotes from the Notre Dame AD that covered this. Of course the wild card would be if Congress would want to get involved at some point to ensure Women’s sports don’t get ignored once this all happens.

As the amount of money that players receive or are offered goes up and up and up, when do we start thinking about pulling scholarship money? In some cases, some players are being offered a 6-figure deal or more to go to a particular school... If a High School kid can make more money than the tuition, why should he get a free ride on top of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Seems to me that scholarship money should go to someone who really needs it...

As the amount of money that players receive or are offered goes up and up and up, when do we start thinking about pulling scholarship money? In some cases, some players are being offered a 6-figure deal or more to go to a particular school... If a High School kid can make more money than the tuition, why should he get a free ride on top of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Seems to me that scholarship money should go to someone who really needs it...
So you feel it's the football and bball players job to pay for others kids education?

Well to be the best and make the most money the universities will still offer full rides lol. Why do you care so much if a young adult that is creating billions of dollars for an organization through media deals gets some money?

Dude you need to let go of that mindset and try to imagine that the B1G is set to double their already grotesque media rights deal. We are talking huge amounts of money. I tend to agree that we have lost something significant in the process, but these are not amateur athletes any longer.

ADVERTISEMENT