ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Buffett sticking it to fans who purchased tickets

Derekd3408

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2011
Reactions: jasonrann
I’m a parrot head. I also recognize Buffet as a shrewd businessman. I can appreciate some fans getting pissed that they are going to be denied but someone has to start the war against these scalping companies that immediately buy up all of the tix and then drive up the prices. I hate to see innocent people get caught in the crossfire but these companies should be under attack.

Who is it that set that policy, I cannot tell if it was Buffett or the venue.

I would be interesting to see how the credit card companies handle the chargebacks.

If this was listed as the policy when the original purchases were made, and the scalpers knew it, then they committed fraud. Like thousands of counts of it. So, it won't work out well.

I’m a parrot head. I also recognize Buffet as a shrewd businessman. I can appreciate some fans getting pissed that they are going to be denied but someone has to start the war against these scalping companies that immediately buy up all of the tix and then drive up the prices. I hate to see innocent people get caught in the crossfire but these companies should be under attack.
Except he didn't start a war againt the scalpers, he pissed off his fans who paid big money to see him and won't get in.

I'll assume the tickets come with the caveat that they can't be resold. The scalpers should be charged with fraud.

Except he didn't start a war againt the scalpers, he pissed off his fans who paid big money to see him and won't get in.
But he did. He’s saying anyone that bought a transferred ticket from these scalping companies can’t use it. That does two things. One, it eliminates their ability to sell tix and two, it places them on the hook for non-viable tix and refunds.

Who is it that set that policy, I cannot tell if it was Buffett or the venue.
Pretty sure it was the venue. All four shows sold out in minutes, mostly from the bots, and then the blowback from fans hit the venue. These shows popped up with only about three weeks notice so they clearly didn't think things through before having the on-sale date.

Reactions: jasonrann
Pretty sure it was the venue. All four shows sold out in minutes, mostly from the bots, and then the blowback from fans hit the venue. These shows popped up with only about three weeks notice so they clearly didn't think things through before having the on-sale date.

Yeah, the other articles I read seemed to indicate pretty clearly that the decision was from the venue, not Buffett. Also indicated a few other venues have issued a similar policy.

What the venue should have done was said at the outset that there would be no entry without an ID matching that of the purchase. We have tickets to Reggae Rise Up down here and that's what they do. Then if you still buy on the secondary market and aren't allowed in, that's on you. Not the person that sold it to you.

As a fellow Parrott Head, I agree with this. ...when artists take a stance, fans often get caught in the cross-fire. Remember Lars and Napster?

Reactions: nolesincebirth
On the secondary market. Not sure I agree with him on this. I get he is trying to stick it to scalpers, but this really sticks it to those fans who bought tickets after the fact.
The secondary market can eat a bag of dicks. I had "early entry" on a Jack White show a few years back through the venue to buy tickets. They had already been bought up by the secondary market, not a single ticket available. It's an absolute racket.

But he did. He’s saying anyone that bought a transferred ticket from these scalping companies can’t use it. That does two things. One, it eliminates their ability to sell tix and two, it places them on the hook for non-viable tix and refunds.
Only if everyone looking to buy scalped tickets is aware they won’t be able to use them. The scalpers can still buy and sell the tickets. They don’t care if their “customers” can’t use them.

Reactions: Finance85
I've found the online secondary market for tickets to be great.
I don't understand why a venue would block re-sale and prevent valid tickets from being utilized.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I've found the online secondary market for tickets to be great.
I don't understand why a venue would block re-sale and prevent valid tickets from being utilized.
I think it’s the difference between something like Stubhub where I bought tix, but now can’t go, so I need to sell them vs a company that uses bots to buy ALL the tickets then drives up the price.

For around $450 I can get a bottle of this. And my friends can bring their own. ;)

glen-scotia-25-year-old-single-malt-group_5000x.jpg

What the venue should have done was said at the outset that there would be no entry without an ID matching that of the purchase. We have tickets to Reggae Rise Up down here and that's what they do. Then if you still buy on the secondary market and aren't allowed in, that's on you. Not the person that sold it to you.

No... that’s still on the seller for committing fraud.

A couple weeks before we went to Vienna 2 years ago we found out Ed Sheeran was in concert there... and, you know how I like my gingers. only 2nd hand tickets were available and they clearly stated you needed to show ID to match the ticket upon entry. So, we didn't take that risk not knowing whether or not we'd actually be able to get in...

A more happy write-up about the Buffet show. No mention of the scalper issue. I learned something new about Key West... the cat guy (Guy Laliberté) from the early 70's is the person who started Cirque de Soleil.

In his first concert in 14 months, trop-rock troubadour Jimmy Buffett on Thursday night led a sold-out Delray Beach audience on a transformative journey back in time. It was Margaritaville, circa 2019. And fun ruled.
In a 100-minute, 21-song set leavened by gratitude, Key West stories and tequila, Buffett played benevolent tour guide to nearly 900 pod-enclosed Parrotheads eager to take the trip they clearly spent time dressing for.
The show was the first of four outdoor concerts on Old School Square, the rest taking place Friday, Monday and Tuesday, May 14, 17-18. All of the more than 3,500 seats for the four shows are sold out.
On a day when the CDC recommended a major rollback on mask-wearing for the vaccinated, Buffett took several opportunities on Thursday for good-natured venting about the pandemic and how much he has missed playing for an audience.
“Hopefully, we’re on the other side of this. For the first time in human history, fun was stopped. We’re back,” he said.
To double-down on his good-times-ahead attitude, Buffett confirmed that plans for a “full tour” are in the works.
“I’m hearing August, but we’ll keep you posted,” he said through a wave of applause.

Arriving onstage at around 8:30 p.m., to a standing ovation that never fully disappeared, Buffett and the “fully vaccinated old farts” in the Coral Reefer Band hit the ground running with fan favorite “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes,” the luscious steel-drum intro from Robert Greenidge flowing over the crowd in a warm wave.
Buffett’s bag of songs seems bottomless but if his fans were especially eager for the nostalgia of the singalong hits, he seemed to feel the same way.
Aided as always by supremely talented singer-guitarist and foil Mac McAnally, Buffett offered spirited versions of “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere,” “Volcano,” “Fins” and “Margaritaville.”
“I know you’re all penned up out there, but you can still dance,” Buffett said before the band jumped into “Cheeseburger in Paradise.” The result was more enthusiastic arm waving that actual dancing, but we’ll get there someday.

“Son of a Son of a Sailor” was given a poignant reading, with Buffett on 12-string guitar, as did the gentle singalong “A Pirate Looks at 40” and “Come Monday,” a duet with guest country singer Caroline Jones.
McAnally took over during Buffett’s “tequila break” with a brilliant version of the intricate instrumental “My Martha,” written by Duane Allman for two guitars, as he pointed out. McAnally also performed his engaging portrait of small-town life, “Back Where I Come From.”

Buffett brought out a few more obscure songs beloved by Parrotheads, including “The Wino and I Know,” “Migration” (dedicated to Jerry Jeff Walker), jaunty “Pencil Thin Mustache,” the life-affirming “Last Mango in Paris” and his sunny 1994 ode to fatherhood, “Delaney Talks to Statues.”
A set of Key West songs featured his lonely, country-spiked 1976 ballad “Woman Goin’ Crazy on Caroline Street” and 1974′s “Tin Cup Chalice,” which included the tale of his Duval Street battle for tourist dollars with street performer Guy Laliberté and his trained cats. Laliberté would go on to create Cirque du Soleil.
Buffett performed a three-song encore, with the upbeat “Fins” sandwiched between the nostalgic regret of “One Particular Harbor” and the more hopeful closer, “Floridays.” On the latter, Buffett ended the night alone onstage, singing “I’m back to livin’ Floridays / Blue skies and ultra-violet rays / Lookin’ for better days.”
If you’re headed to one of Buffett’s next three shows, you’ll find that Delray Beach is firmly in the grip of Jimmy mania, with hundreds of Parrotheads parading through downtown in garish shirts and headwear before the shows.

At Tin Roof Thursday night, local rock band Spider Cherry tried a little counterprogramming with covers of the Bee Gees and Bon Jovi in front of crowd of young Parrotheads in floral shirts and kooky sunglasses.
“There is a buzz,” said Delray Beach resident Claudia Amore, seated under the trees for a pre-show dinner at Dada restaurant, across the street from Old School Square.
Amore, 48, was with her husband, Nate Okai; her mother, Margaret, who was celebrating her 75th birthday; and Margaret’s friend Migdalia Roman. Each of their necks was encircled in a colorful, look-at-me lei. Amore was the only one who had seen a Buffett concert before.

Amore said the buzz in town was mixed with some lingering disbelief that an artist of Buffett’s stature would actually perform on Old School Square.
“People are still surprised. They still think it’s going to be a cover band,” Amore said.
Okai said they hoped the evening would bring “something different, after last year. Energy and happiness, a fun vibe and just living and enjoying life.”

Across the street at the Space of Mind schoolhouse, founder Ali Kaufman was hosting a kid-friendly “Welcome Jimmy” picnic with cheeseburgers, margaritas, a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack and a giant pirate ship, made by one of her “imagineering” staffers, Adrian St. Cyr.

“We’re just big fans of what Delray is doing right now. We’re celebrating what this town is putting together,” Kaufman said.
Jonathan and Ashley Johnson drove seven hours from Columbia, S.C., for the show that would be their sixth Buffett concert. They also attended Buffett’s last pre-pandemic show in Las Vegas in 2019.
Dressed in bold tropical shirts — Ashley pairing hers with earrings and sandals that seemed plucked from a Buffett lyric — the couple said Buffett represents a joyful escapism.
“The stuff he sings about just sort of hits home,” said Jonathan, 38.

As a fellow Parrott Head, I agree with this. ...when artists take a stance, fans often get caught in the cross-fire. Remember Lars and Napster?
The secondary market can eat a bag of dicks. I had "early entry" on a Jack White show a few years back through the venue to buy tickets. They had already been bought up by the secondary market, not a single ticket available. It's an absolute racket.
If for three months everyone agreed to NOT buy them from anyone but the original retailer, these companies would lose a shit ton of money and a quick adjustment would be made.

If for three months everyone agreed to NOT buy them from anyone but the original retailer, these companies would lose a shit ton of money and a quick adjustment would be made.
Most people who can afford $10k on 4 Buffet tickets would not agree to that.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
A more happy write-up about the Buffet show. No mention of the scalper issue. I learned something new about Key West... the cat guy (Guy Laliberté) from the early 70's is the person who started Cirque de Soleil.

In his first concert in 14 months, trop-rock troubadour Jimmy Buffett on Thursday night led a sold-out Delray Beach audience on a transformative journey back in time. It was Margaritaville, circa 2019. And fun ruled.
In a 100-minute, 21-song set leavened by gratitude, Key West stories and tequila, Buffett played benevolent tour guide to nearly 900 pod-enclosed Parrotheads eager to take the trip they clearly spent time dressing for.
The show was the first of four outdoor concerts on Old School Square, the rest taking place Friday, Monday and Tuesday, May 14, 17-18. All of the more than 3,500 seats for the four shows are sold out.
On a day when the CDC recommended a major rollback on mask-wearing for the vaccinated, Buffett took several opportunities on Thursday for good-natured venting about the pandemic and how much he has missed playing for an audience.
“Hopefully, we’re on the other side of this. For the first time in human history, fun was stopped. We’re back,” he said.
To double-down on his good-times-ahead attitude, Buffett confirmed that plans for a “full tour” are in the works.
“I’m hearing August, but we’ll keep you posted,” he said through a wave of applause.

Arriving onstage at around 8:30 p.m., to a standing ovation that never fully disappeared, Buffett and the “fully vaccinated old farts” in the Coral Reefer Band hit the ground running with fan favorite “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes,” the luscious steel-drum intro from Robert Greenidge flowing over the crowd in a warm wave.
Buffett’s bag of songs seems bottomless but if his fans were especially eager for the nostalgia of the singalong hits, he seemed to feel the same way.
Aided as always by supremely talented singer-guitarist and foil Mac McAnally, Buffett offered spirited versions of “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere,” “Volcano,” “Fins” and “Margaritaville.”
“I know you’re all penned up out there, but you can still dance,” Buffett said before the band jumped into “Cheeseburger in Paradise.” The result was more enthusiastic arm waving that actual dancing, but we’ll get there someday.

“Son of a Son of a Sailor” was given a poignant reading, with Buffett on 12-string guitar, as did the gentle singalong “A Pirate Looks at 40” and “Come Monday,” a duet with guest country singer Caroline Jones.
McAnally took over during Buffett’s “tequila break” with a brilliant version of the intricate instrumental “My Martha,” written by Duane Allman for two guitars, as he pointed out. McAnally also performed his engaging portrait of small-town life, “Back Where I Come From.”

Buffett brought out a few more obscure songs beloved by Parrotheads, including “The Wino and I Know,” “Migration” (dedicated to Jerry Jeff Walker), jaunty “Pencil Thin Mustache,” the life-affirming “Last Mango in Paris” and his sunny 1994 ode to fatherhood, “Delaney Talks to Statues.”
A set of Key West songs featured his lonely, country-spiked 1976 ballad “Woman Goin’ Crazy on Caroline Street” and 1974′s “Tin Cup Chalice,” which included the tale of his Duval Street battle for tourist dollars with street performer Guy Laliberté and his trained cats. Laliberté would go on to create Cirque du Soleil.
Buffett performed a three-song encore, with the upbeat “Fins” sandwiched between the nostalgic regret of “One Particular Harbor” and the more hopeful closer, “Floridays.” On the latter, Buffett ended the night alone onstage, singing “I’m back to livin’ Floridays / Blue skies and ultra-violet rays / Lookin’ for better days.”
If you’re headed to one of Buffett’s next three shows, you’ll find that Delray Beach is firmly in the grip of Jimmy mania, with hundreds of Parrotheads parading through downtown in garish shirts and headwear before the shows.

At Tin Roof Thursday night, local rock band Spider Cherry tried a little counterprogramming with covers of the Bee Gees and Bon Jovi in front of crowd of young Parrotheads in floral shirts and kooky sunglasses.
“There is a buzz,” said Delray Beach resident Claudia Amore, seated under the trees for a pre-show dinner at Dada restaurant, across the street from Old School Square.
Amore, 48, was with her husband, Nate Okai; her mother, Margaret, who was celebrating her 75th birthday; and Margaret’s friend Migdalia Roman. Each of their necks was encircled in a colorful, look-at-me lei. Amore was the only one who had seen a Buffett concert before.

Amore said the buzz in town was mixed with some lingering disbelief that an artist of Buffett’s stature would actually perform on Old School Square.
“People are still surprised. They still think it’s going to be a cover band,” Amore said.
Okai said they hoped the evening would bring “something different, after last year. Energy and happiness, a fun vibe and just living and enjoying life.”

Across the street at the Space of Mind schoolhouse, founder Ali Kaufman was hosting a kid-friendly “Welcome Jimmy” picnic with cheeseburgers, margaritas, a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack and a giant pirate ship, made by one of her “imagineering” staffers, Adrian St. Cyr.

“We’re just big fans of what Delray is doing right now. We’re celebrating what this town is putting together,” Kaufman said.
Jonathan and Ashley Johnson drove seven hours from Columbia, S.C., for the show that would be their sixth Buffett concert. They also attended Buffett’s last pre-pandemic show in Las Vegas in 2019.
Dressed in bold tropical shirts — Ashley pairing hers with earrings and sandals that seemed plucked from a Buffett lyric — the couple said Buffett represents a joyful escapism.
“The stuff he sings about just sort of hits home,” said Jonathan, 38.

I hadn't seen this yet, thanks for posting. Wish I could have made it to one of these shows. Here's hoping he puts some more outdoor venues on the calendar later in the year.

I think it’s the difference between something like Stubhub where I bought tix, but now can’t go, so I need to sell them vs a company that uses bots to buy ALL the tickets then drives up the price.
What ‘drives up the price’ is fans with money.

There are obviously differences with the amount the venue demanded and what some fans are willing to pay.

I don’t see anything villainous in the difference, I just want a place to get or get rid of tickets and I’ve used three or four of these online ticket brokers without a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT