ADVERTISEMENT

Job PDQ

swagsurfer02

HB King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
You guys ever get stuff dropped on you that are no where close to what you were told when you agreed to work for a company?

I got told by my boss Monday that he wanted me to make a budget and to have it to him at the end of the week. Since Monday he has called me 5 or 6 times a day on average asking where I'm at with it. Then when I start talking to him about it, he says "I gotta take this other call!" and hangs up.

This morning he calls and asks "are you sick of me yet?", I responded with, "been there, done that."

I was a biology/chemistry guy in college. I had absolutely no interest in accounting or economics in high school and college. I was told don't worry about budgets when I first signed on, now it's all I've been doing this week!

Sorry for venting...... Nevermind, I'm not sorry. GFY

'Doing budgets' is just his way of making sure you are not stealing from him. Sorry brah.....

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn.

I get asked to do technical research on equipment sometimes. I'm a Business/Finance guy.

Before some of those requests, I barely understood the basic workings of a wing nut.

So your boss is giving you other opportunities to further advance yourself in your career and you're pissed about it? That doesn't seem very logical. He's already verified that you can do the job asked of you but wants to see what your ceiling is. I'll give you an example from my field. The company I work for already knows that I can build systems, troubleshoot issues, provide documentation, etc. Over the years they've asked me to do other things some of which I've succeeded at and some of which I've failed. They just wanted to gauge what my strengths were and what my weaknesses were. I'll assume your boss is doing the same for you.

All that said, he could just hate doing budgets and is just delegating down to the low man on the totem pole.

'Doing budgets' is just his way of making sure you are not stealing from him. Sorry brah.....

I'm not even sure it's that. He's asking me about requisitions for contractors aproximately for $45,000 in May of 2013. I told him I've never heard of that company and was hired in October 2014. In way over my head fellas..

It's happened a lot of times in my career and more often than not, it led to more stuff that really enhanced my career. Some tasks are just annoying dump-offs, but if you become the go-to, it's nothing but good for your career.

I'm not even sure it's that. He's asking me about requisitions for contractors aproximately for $45,000 in May of 2013. I told him I've never heard of that company and was hired in October 2014. In way over my head fellas..

Step up your game.

You're in the private sector now. We expect results...

So your boss is giving you other opportunities to further advance yourself in your career and you're pissed about it? That doesn't seem very logical. He's already verified that you can do the job asked of you but wants to see what your ceiling is. I'll give you an example from my field. The company I work for already knows that I can build systems, troubleshoot issues, provide documentation, etc. Over the years they've asked me to do other things some of which I've succeeded at and some of which I've failed. They just wanted to gauge what my strengths were and what my weaknesses were. I'll assume your boss is doing the same for you.

All that said, he could just hate doing budgets and is just delegating down to the low man on the totem pole.

He just started in Feb 2015. My old boss retired. Apparently the old boss threw money at everything. It's not like that anymore, I guess. I'm fine with being given new stuff, but the time frame is awful.

I've talked to others about what they are budgeting. They've said, not much but only work at one facility. I travel to multiple. These allocation of funds and coding blocks are a pain in the ass.

He just started in Feb 2015. My old boss retired. Apparently the old boss threw money at everything. It's not like that anymore, I guess. I'm fine with being given new stuff, but the time frame is awful.

I've talked to others about what they are budgeting. They've said, not much but only work at one facility. I travel to multiple. These allocation of funds and coding blocks are a pain in the ass.

Understood. If you can't do budgeting that doesn't make you any less of a valuable employee but just understand that you may be skipped over for other opportunities because you failed this one. Nobody said it would be fair.

During an interview for a head basketball and social studies position I told the principal I would not be interested if I had to teach world history. No problem according to the principal. I take the job and in August receive my schedule which was obviously world history all day long.

It's happened a lot of times in my career and more often than not, it led to more stuff that really enhanced my career. Some tasks are just annoying dump-offs, but if you become the go-to, it's nothing but good for your career.

I know you're in IT and the "it's nothing but good for your career" response to being the "go-to-guy" isn't always the truth. While I agree broadening your skills in IT is essential to continue moving forward but being the "go-to-guy" can be a real pain the ass at 3AM on a Saturday or being 14 hours into troubleshooting an issue. You need other people to be able to perform your job function as well if you ever plan on continuing to move forward on other things. Just my opinion, of course.

I work for a small non-profit. I've dismantled benches, shampooed carpet in our new building, created a budget for a new program (like you, Swag, it was not something I knew how to do), and purchased half of a building worth of furniture. I enjoy it but I can't say I expected the odd tasks often asked of me.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
Understood. If you can't do budgeting that doesn't make you any less of a valuable employee but just understand that you may be skipped over for other opportunities because you failed this one. Nobody said it would be fair.

Honestly, I'm the only guy for the company that does my job. I'm fine in the role i have now due to the financial aspect. I feel so bogged down with this I'm getting left behind on the other stuff I did actually sign up for.

You guys ever get stuff dropped on you that are no where close to what you were told when you agreed to work for a company?

I got told by my boss Monday that he wanted me to make a budget and to have it to him at the end of the week. Since Monday he has called me 5 or 6 times a day on average asking where I'm at with it. Then when I start talking to him about it, he says "I gotta take this other call!" and hangs up.

This morning he calls and asks "are you sick of me yet?", I responded with, "been there, done that."

I was a biology/chemistry guy in college. I had absolutely no interest in accounting or economics in high school and college. I was told don't worry about budgets when I first signed on, now it's all I've been doing this week!

Sorry for venting...... Nevermind, I'm not sorry. GFY

It's called "other duties as assigned" and yeah, everyone gets that from time-to-time. Sack up and figure it out and stop whining.

You don't want to be a living stereotype Swag. ;)

Most people's workload is the equivalent of trying to fit 6 gallons of s#it in to a 5 gallon bucket.

It's a balancing act.

Honestly, I'm the only guy for the company that does my job. I'm fine in the role i have now due to the financial aspect. I feel so bogged down with this I'm getting left behind on the other stuff I did actually sign up for.

Well I'm sure you're the first person to ever be overworked to the point your daily tasks are starting to suffer. LOL!!

So tell your boss that you feel like the added work is undermining your actual job and that you prefer not to continue working on the budget. I'm sure he'll find someone else to give it a shot. But again don't be all butthurt when opportunities pass you by. Some people prefer to show up and do "their" job from 8-5 and then go home while others prefer to go above and beyond what is expected of them and they're usually the first to climb the corporate ladder.

It's called "other duties as assigned" and yeah, everyone gets that from time-to-time. Sack up and figure it out and stop whining.

You don't want to be a living stereotype Swag. ;)

I already have a job (I'm the exception)
Leased vehicle (paid always on time)
My own place (no living with a baby momma here)
Good credit (north of 795 cumulative)

My heroes are Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, and Barack Obama. None of us are totally black, so we have to work double hard. No one accepts us, it's a cold lonely world!

Reactions: torbee
Well I'm sure you're the first person to ever be overworked to the point your daily tasks are starting to suffer. LOL!!

So tell your boss that you feel like the added work is undermining your actual job and that you prefer not to continue working on the budget. I'm sure he'll find someone else to give it a shot. But again don't be all butthurt when opportunities pass you by. Some people prefer to show up and do "their" job from 8-5 and then go home while others prefer to go above and beyond what is expected of them and they're usually the first to climb the corporate ladder.

By 4 pm this should all be over! Btw, I don't climb ish.... I hate heights.

Now that you're in the private sector, it's okay to work an hour or two over 40 hours if you need to. :)

I get weird things dropped off all the time. Stuff I have no idea about. Somehow I muddle through. Years ago in college the restaurant I worked at had a change in ownership. I'd always wanted to be the morning manager and come in at 6 am to get things going for the day. Never had done it once. The new owner came up and asked me if I knew how to open and I told him absolutely. I knew there was a checklist, and I can follow checklists.
On the other hand, this may be an attempt by Swag's boss to set him up for a firing. Is the new boss Donald Sterling?

By 4 pm this should all be over! Btw, I don't climb ish.... I hate heights.

Some people aren't cut out for the corporate world. Maybe you are just one of those people. There are a lot of people who came in day after day and do just enough to get by. They're mostly janitors. To each their own. God speed.

I already have a job (I'm the exception)
Leased vehicle (paid always on time)
My own place (no living with a baby momma here)
Good credit (north of 795 cumulative)

My heroes are Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, and Barack Obama. None of us are totally black, so we have to work double hard. No one accepts us, it's a cold lonely world!

sad-dog-up.gif

Budgets are protocol for any type of management position. It helps managers learn where the money is coming and going. Since you seem to be very adept of financial matters in your personal life, once you hop into it, I am sure it will become much easier for you.

Some people aren't cut out for the corporate world. Maybe you are just one of those people. There are a lot of people who came in day after day and do just enough to get by. They're mostly janitors. To each their own. God speed.

Don't fool yourself. I'm pretty cut throat. I just need to be sure of what I'm doing. Btw, I have been getting asked to apply for a supervisor position at my old job in the public sector. Not sure I want that tho.

During an interview for a head basketball and social studies position I told the principal I would not be interested if I had to teach world history. No problem according to the principal. I take the job and in August receive my schedule which was obviously world history all day long.

You're a Social Studies/Coach guy. Be happy you have a job as there a hundred just like you trying to find a position.

Reactions: darkstar
Finished it yesterday around 3:30. My boss sent me an email about 8:00 last night saying "see, that wasn't so bad".

Finished it yesterday around 3:30. My boss sent me an email about 8:00 last night saying "see, that wasn't so bad".

Aww. Our little boy is growing up right before our very eyes.

Now get ready for people to start bitching at you when you didn't budget enough money for something. It's a vicious cycle.

I know you're in IT and the "it's nothing but good for your career" response to being the "go-to-guy" isn't always the truth. While I agree broadening your skills in IT is essential to continue moving forward but being the "go-to-guy" can be a real pain the ass at 3AM on a Saturday or being 14 hours into troubleshooting an issue. You need other people to be able to perform your job function as well if you ever plan on continuing to move forward on other things. Just my opinion, of course.

Exactly. That's why you have to keep perpetuating the myth about being the go to guy! "Think through what your boss does and figure out how to start doing that work when you have your stuff covered" Eventually you turn your underlings in to you and you move up. Like one giant ponzi scheme.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT