THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
anuary 15, 2018
Tim Marcin
Posted with permission from Newsweek

A segment on MSNBC Friday turned awkward for Joe Arpaio, the controversial former sheriff running for Senate in Arizona. The 85-year-old accepted an August pardon from President Trump after being convicted of criminal contempt for ignoring a court order and continuing to racially profile.

Arpaio appeared on MSNBC's The Beat, hosted by Ari Melber, and discussed the pardon. "The president—I never asked for the pardon—pardoned me because he knew that this decision was wrong," Arpaio said before claiming he had some sort of appeal in the works for the future.

Melber then sprung into the facts surrounding Arpaio's case, reminding viewers (and Arpaio) about the tent-city jail the sheriff once called "concentration camps" and an apparent $48 million legal bill run-up by Arpaio. The former sheriff responded by saying the folks in his jails violated the law, and if they didn't want the conditions they shouldn't have engaged in crimes.

"You said they violated the law," Melber responded. "You're seeking a promotion and a judge found you violated the law. That raises the question: Why do you want to go to the Senate and write laws if you wouldn't follow a judge's order to uphold them?"

"A judge found me guilty of a misdemeanor and I'm not going to go into the politics of that," Arpaio said.

"Let me ask you another important question because you brought up this unusual, but lawful, pardon that you received from the president," Melber responded. "As you know, when you take a pardon you're admitting guilt. Why did you take that pardon and admit guilt?"

From there, it seemed pretty clear Arpaio did not know everything that accompanied his pardon. "I didn't admit guilt. I said I was not guilty and I say it today," Arpaio responded, causing Melber to raise his eyebrows in response.

"But you accepted the pardon, and you know under the law that is an admission of guilt," Melber said.

"No, I don't know about that," Arpaio said. "I'd have to talk to the legal scholars."

Melber then walked the sheriff through the Supreme Court case, Burdick v. United States, that made clear a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt and acceptance of a confession of it."

"Do you understand that's the legal implication of what you did by accepting that pardon?" Melber asked. Arpaio didn't really answer the question.

"I'm not a lawyer, thank God," he said. "But the president can make any decision he wants on a pardon. And I'm not going to argue about what your decision is. I'm sure his lawyers have reviewed it."

The Trump ally and former Maricopa County sheriff has already had a tumultuous campaign in his effort to take over the Arizona seat set to be vacated by Senator Jeff Flake.

When he appeared on Fox News to discuss the miskaken ballistic-missile warning sent to Hawaii residents over the weekend, Arpaio decided it was a good time to revisit the birther conspiracy—which critics call a racist dog-whistle—that former president Barack Obama was not born in the Aloha State.

"I don’t want to get into it," Arpaio said. "But I know doing a certain investigation on a fake, fraudulent government document. They can’t even solve that case. They don’t even want to look at it. So either they’re incompetent or there’s something behind it."

In this, and likely only this ever, I agree with Joe. A Pardon isn’t conditional on an admission.

But I don’t know why that matters, lots of those criminals in his tents denied guilt as well, and he didn’t care. He is guilty of willful violation of federal court order. Do with that what you will.

Reactions: 2facedboonefan
In this, and likely only this ever, I agree with Joe. A Pardon isn’t conditional on an admission.

But I don’t know why that matters, lots of those criminals in his tents denied guilt as well, and he didn’t care. He is guilty of willful violation of federal court order. Do with that what you will.
The SCOTUS has already ruled that a pardon carries the admission of guilt.

He got a couple forensics guys and they proved the birth certificate was electronic only and it was a fraud and it was left open source where anybody could edit it

Reactions: hawkbred
anuary 15, 2018
Tim Marcin
Posted with permission from Newsweek

A segment on MSNBC Friday turned awkward for Joe Arpaio, the controversial former sheriff running for Senate in Arizona. The 85-year-old accepted an August pardon from President Trump after being convicted of criminal contempt for ignoring a court order and continuing to racially profile.

Arpaio appeared on MSNBC's The Beat, hosted by Ari Melber, and discussed the pardon. "The president—I never asked for the pardon—pardoned me because he knew that this decision was wrong," Arpaio said before claiming he had some sort of appeal in the works for the future.

Melber then sprung into the facts surrounding Arpaio's case, reminding viewers (and Arpaio) about the tent-city jail the sheriff once called "concentration camps" and an apparent $48 million legal bill run-up by Arpaio. The former sheriff responded by saying the folks in his jails violated the law, and if they didn't want the conditions they shouldn't have engaged in crimes.

"You said they violated the law," Melber responded. "You're seeking a promotion and a judge found you violated the law. That raises the question: Why do you want to go to the Senate and write laws if you wouldn't follow a judge's order to uphold them?"

"A judge found me guilty of a misdemeanor and I'm not going to go into the politics of that," Arpaio said.

"Let me ask you another important question because you brought up this unusual, but lawful, pardon that you received from the president," Melber responded. "As you know, when you take a pardon you're admitting guilt. Why did you take that pardon and admit guilt?"

From there, it seemed pretty clear Arpaio did not know everything that accompanied his pardon. "I didn't admit guilt. I said I was not guilty and I say it today," Arpaio responded, causing Melber to raise his eyebrows in response.

"But you accepted the pardon, and you know under the law that is an admission of guilt," Melber said.

"No, I don't know about that," Arpaio said. "I'd have to talk to the legal scholars."

Melber then walked the sheriff through the Supreme Court case, Burdick v. United States, that made clear a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt and acceptance of a confession of it."

"Do you understand that's the legal implication of what you did by accepting that pardon?" Melber asked. Arpaio didn't really answer the question.

"I'm not a lawyer, thank God," he said. "But the president can make any decision he wants on a pardon. And I'm not going to argue about what your decision is. I'm sure his lawyers have reviewed it."

The Trump ally and former Maricopa County sheriff has already had a tumultuous campaign in his effort to take over the Arizona seat set to be vacated by Senator Jeff Flake.

When he appeared on Fox News to discuss the miskaken ballistic-missile warning sent to Hawaii residents over the weekend, Arpaio decided it was a good time to revisit the birther conspiracy—which critics call a racist dog-whistle—that former president Barack Obama was not born in the Aloha State.

"I don’t want to get into it," Arpaio said. "But I know doing a certain investigation on a fake, fraudulent government document. They can’t even solve that case. They don’t even want to look at it. So either they’re incompetent or there’s something behind it."

Just wait'll they crack Don, Jr. like an egg on national TV....;)

Arpaio is a straight klansman and thug. That being said, accepting a pardon is not an admission of guilt. The supreme court is entitled to it's opinion but it is just that, an opinion.

He's still the voice of the modern GOP. He was the sheriff from 1993 to 2008 and has been the same guy the entire time. Nobody in the GOP side tried to shut him down. And It's not like he was a raging liberal in 1993 - he held these same views back then and still holds them now.

He's still the voice of the modern GOP. He was the sheriff from 1993 to 2008 and has been the same guy the entire time. Nobody in the GOP side tried to shut him down. And It's not like he was a raging liberal in 1993 - he held these same views back then and still holds them now.
American views? Well, I guess we should all be proud then. He's guilty of nothing other than being the victim of an overactive judiciary. MSNBC proving once again it's a bastion of "news."

You don't pardon somebody because they never broke the law and were an exceptional citizen. You knew that didn't you?

Eh, if he didn’t do anything wrong, then he should have asked for clemency on his sentence.

I tend to agree that accepting a pardon requires you accept the conviction as legitimate, especially if you have not otherwise exhausted your appeals.

I have enormous respect for the gay men in the UK that refused pardons for indecency on the grounds that they hadn’t done anything wrong and their convictions were illegitimate.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/10/o...on-still-imply-admission-of-guilt-514193.html

President Bush's Christmas Eve pardons of key Iran-contra figures triggered outrage and dismay among many Americans, but elation among those pardoned and their supporters.

On television, former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger registered relief with near glee, reiterating his insistence that he is "innocent."

This flies in the face of what I was led to believe about the requirements surrounding a Presidential pardon.

In 1975, I visited Otto Kerner, shortly before his death, at the Federal penitentiary in Lexington, Ky., where he was serving a three-year term on a bribery conviction.

The prosecution of the highly respected former Governor of Illinois, chairman of the Kerner Commission, which issued an enduring report on racism in the United States, was based almost entirely on the questionable immunized testimony of two prominent race-track owners.

The trial in Chicago was a mass media-driven courtroom circus, which inaugurated the political careers of James R. Thompson, then a United States Attorney, who vaulted to the governorship and served four terms, and his first assistant, Samuel K. Skinner, who became Secretary of Transportation and White House chief of staff under George Bush.

After the trial, Mr. Kerner said in a statement from prison, "I was convicted by witnesses who were induced to lie."

I asked a downcast but nonetheless dignified Mr. Kerner if he had considered seeking a pardon. He was emphatic in his response.

"No," he told me, "I would neither seek nor accept a Presidential pardon, which requires an admission of guilt. I would not perjure myself to obtain a pardon. I am innocent." Mr. Kerner died some months later proclaiming his innocence.

That understanding was confirmed to me by Deputy Attorney General Charles B. Renfrew, a former Federal judge serving in the Carter Justice Department.

Mr. Renfrew told me that no application for a Presidential pardon would be passed on by the Justice Department to the White House unless the petitioner formally acknowledged guilt.

In short, a Presidential pardon, contrary to the widespread public perception, does not erase the guilty finding by a judge or jury, but rather restores the guilty party's civil and other preconviction rights.

Mr. Weinberger seems to believe he has been formally exonerated of alleged criminal conduct. This is not literally so if Governor Kerner and Mr. Renfrew were correct.

Arpaio is a straight klansman and thug. That being said, accepting a pardon is not an admission of guilt. The supreme court is entitled to it's opinion but it is just that, an opinion.

It is not just an opinion, it is the law of the land. That being said, there is definitely some contradiction in that ruling and the way pardons are handled. There are laws and Justice Department standards that explicitly contradict this Supreme Court ruling. In practice, pardons are sometimes issued because of the belief that a person is innocent factually, or morally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-admission-of-guilt/?utm_term=.8c0be9e1c321

Their "opinion" IS law. I don't expect morons like you or Sheriff Joe to understand that.

Regardless it's a stupid law.

A lot of times pardons have been used to get someone out of prison when there are strong questions about their guilt but the courts are too slow moving or are unwilling to budge.

Pardon should mean that you are still guilty in front of the law, but should not be taken as an admission of guilt from the person receiving them. That way it allows for later actions to clear their name.

So my view is that it's a stupid law.

Now I have a million problems wtih Arpaio. For example the people he locked up in his tent city where in jail not a prison which means many of them had not been convicted of any crime yet. Those that where convicted of a crime where convicted of minor crimes for which the sentence is generally less then 1 year. Furthermore he's been repeatedly shown to lock up his political enemies on trumped up charges. So the idea that they where all criminals in and of itself is precisely bull crap.

Also as far as I'm concerned it was unconstitutional. Arpaio liked to use chain gangs which is akin to forced labor. The 13th amendment allows forced labor upon criminals but specifies that they have to be convicted first. If even one of those people had not yet been convicted of a crime then he's guilty of slavery a felony for which he should spend decades in prison.

Then you move on to the fact that not even criminals deserve to be treated the way he treated them.

You don't pardon somebody because they never broke the law and were an exceptional citizen. You knew that didn't you?

Of course not, and my post doesn’t say otherwise. But it isn’t conditioned on admission of guilt, like, say, obtaining special parole or sexual offender treatment. The POTUS can pardon as they see fit, including those that adamantly deny culpability.

Of course he is guilty, the Court found as much.

I see that Trump’s war on the judicial system is working amongst the low education populace.

What war on the judicial system? If anything, the judicial system has a war on Trump.

LOLWUT?
The Judicial system has a responsibility to ensure that laws follow the constitution and executive actions do not deprive citizens of constitutional rights.

That's hardly a 'war on Trump'.

I see that Trump’s war on the judicial system is working amongst the low education populace.

What war on the judicial system? If anything, the judicial system has a war on Trump.

wtf062.gif

LOLWUT?
The Judicial system has a responsibility to ensure that laws follow the constitution and executive actions do not deprive citizens of constitutional rights.

That's hardly a 'war on Trump'.

You should note that I said "If anything". Doesn't seem like a LOLWUT question, but if you want to go there I'll phrase it the opposite way, not that I expect you to know what you are talking about. What is Trump's war on the judicial system? Occasional criticism of district court decisions to block his exercise of executive authority? That is hardly a war on the judiciary. Is he attempting some executive action to infringe upon the authority of the judiciary? Not that I've heard of he hasn't. Between the two, it would appear that the judiciary, mostly within the 9th circuit, has relatively more of a war on Trump than Trump has a war on the judiciary. I'm not defending Trump, but I wasn't the one that brought up his "war on the judicial system".

Sherriff Joe is the man. Obama and Holder came after him iirc and that's enough to warrant a pardon right there. Guy's old school with making the prisoners work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT