ADVERTISEMENT

On June 27, 2019 I said this: Joe Biden will be the Democratic nominee & the next President of the United States

+
Boy, that might be just the ticket though, given the economy being well, employment high, and people be generally optimistic about the economy overall.

Clear out all the embarrassing and chaotic aspects of Trump, deal with the border more humanely (which mostly means "very similar" but be a Democrat) and don't break anything.

The economy always matters, and the Democrats are playing to an audience I'm not sure is big enough, those that feel like our very economic system has utterly failed them.

Their key is to convince voters that their neighbors are doing much, much worse than they are, because most people think they're doing pretty well. I do actually think that has a chance to work, but it's still going to be a real finesse job to convince people to rip up and start over in an economy that they're overall satisfied with.

Honestly, I think there's a case for a Democratic moderate, if there ends up being any, that they'd be BETTER for maintaining the current economy, due to Trump being so dumb, chaotic and unpredictable. I don't know that there's a practical way to make that work though.

Interesting timing since this came out 2 days ago....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/40-of-americans-say-recession-has-already-begun-120045074.html

On Sunday's Meet the Press, they showed all the top Democrat candidates one on one vs Trump. Biden was the ONLY Democrat candidate with at least a 10 point head to head over Trump; everyone else had a 1 or 2 point lead, which was within the margin of error.

Do the Dems want to beat Trump? Choose Biden.

Do they want to roll the dice? Pick someone else.

That's just my independent brain thinking ;)

On the CBS Morning News this morning, they showed the latest polling numbers and Biden had a huge lead over the rest of the Democratic field.

The Top 2 candidates:
34% Joe Biden
15% Elizabeth Warren

On the CBS Morning News this morning, they showed the latest polling numbers and Biden had a huge lead over the rest of the Democratic field.

The Top 2 candidates:
34% Joe Biden
15% Elizabeth Warren
That is not too surprising based on simple name recognition, but just curious about the 'unfavorable' ratings?

No way. Too old, too white, too male. He already seems to be faltering. Jeb was a done deal at this point 4 years ago.

And I quoted this. I still believe this. I think this is a massive mis-reading of the electorate. He is mentally faltering and will not win. Sad end to a long career. Kind of like Dole.

Reactions: GOHOX69
05.jpg

Joe is and always has been the only potentially viable candidate in the race. Unfortunately now he is showing signs of dementia so that should preclude him winning. None of the other candidates had any chance nor should they. No decent VP candidates in the bunch either. Bunch of wacky weirdos.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Joe Biden is 4 years older than Trump. He is going
to need an excellent choice for his Vice President.
Biden needs someone who can appeal to a broad
spectrum of American voters.
The VP is not really important. You vote for the head of the ticket.

Joe is and always has been the only potentially viable candidate in the race. Unfortunately now he is showing signs of dementia so that should preclude him winning. None of the other candidates had any chance nor should they. No decent VP candidates in the bunch either. Bunch of wacky weirdos.
I would agree, Joe is showing signs of dementia. He thinks he is running for the senate.

Does he? I thought his college plan is the same as Obama’s which was free community college and trade school. I didn’t know he had a debt plan.

This is correct. Biden supports free community college and trade schools, increasing Pell grants, extending the PSLF program, and extending income-based repayment plans (student loan payments capped at 5% of discretionary income).

Reactions: naturalmwa
Does he? I thought his college plan is the same as Obama’s which was free community college and trade school. I didn’t know he had a debt plan.

He claimed last night.
He said you'd 'volunteer'.
Hadn't looked at details.

Four years ago the political pundits had anointed
Jeb Bush as the winner of the GOP nomination for
President. It might be premature to give both the
Democrat nomination and Presidency to Joe Biden

This is going to be a roller coaster ride to the Dem's
Presidential nomination. It is still too early to tell
how volatile the American voters will be in the
Primaries and the General Election.

To be fair he's looking like the Dem nominee at this point. I would say Sanders still has a chance but it's small.

The difference between this and the Jeb Bush comparison is that the pundits annointed him as the nominee before any votes where cast. Votes have been cast in this primary and you can start to get the feel of where things are heading.

Boy, that might be just the ticket though, given the economy being well, employment high, and people be generally optimistic about the economy overall.

Clear out all the embarrassing and chaotic aspects of Trump, deal with the border more humanely (which mostly means "very similar" but be a Democrat) and don't break anything.

The economy always matters, and the Democrats are playing to an audience I'm not sure is big enough, those that feel like our very economic system has utterly failed them.

Their key is to convince voters that their neighbors are doing much, much worse than they are, because most people think they're doing pretty well. I do actually think that has a chance to work, but it's still going to be a real finesse job to convince people to rip up and start over in an economy that they're overall satisfied with.

Honestly, I think there's a case for a Democratic moderate, if there ends up being any, that they'd be BETTER for maintaining the current economy, due to Trump being so dumb, chaotic and unpredictable. I don't know that there's a practical way to make that work though.

Honestly he could simply win off the implication that his presidency will be a 4 year extension of the Obama presidency.

The other thing is that a lot of the whole "what I want to do" doesn't matter unless the Dems keep the house and re-take the senate.

Honestly he could simply win off the implication that his presidency will be a 4 year extension of the Obama presidency.

The other thing is that a lot of the whole "what I want to do" doesn't matter unless the Dems keep the house and re-take the senate.

I think it's going to be a tall order for ANY Democrat to win. The economy could still stagger and corona virus is pending, but in general Americans poll as satisfied with the economy, general satisfaction, and believe they're better off vs. four years ago.

It's tough enough to unseat an incumbent, but those numbers are historically the making of landslides. Now, because Trump, it's certainly going to be pretty close, but that's a very tough hand for any Democrat. This simply may not be a winnable elections.

I'm not sure who the running mate should be. It definitely won't be a white male, I'm pretty sure. I think Amy would be the best choice, but I would say Corey Booker.

The problem is, there has to be some temptation to add somewhat of a progressive bomb thrower, don't you if you want a chance? The odds are stacked against you, but they're absolutely nil without "new voters". I don't know who that could be exactly...someone like AOC is more polarizing than beneficial, as well as burning a lot of bridges. Maybe Warren.

I think it's going to be a tall order for ANY Democrat to win. The economy could still stagger and corona virus is pending, but in general Americans poll as satisfied with the economy, general satisfaction, and believe they're better off vs. four years ago.

It's tough enough to unseat an incumbent, but those numbers are historically the making of landslides. Now, because Trump, it's certainly going to be pretty close, but that's a very tough hand for any Democrat. This simply may not be a winnable elections.

I'm not sure who the running mate should be. It definitely won't be a white male, I'm pretty sure. I think Amy would be the best choice, but I would say Corey Booker.

The problem is, there has to be some temptation to add somewhat of a progressive bomb thrower, don't you if you want a chance? The odds are stacked against you, but they're absolutely nil without "new voters". I don't know who that could be exactly...someone like AOC is more polarizing than beneficial, as well as burning a lot of bridges. Maybe Warren.

AOC I think is constitutionally too young to be VP so she's out. Also a horrible horrible choice for a long list of reasons. (She damages Biden in a lot of ways because she is so controversial and also she's been extremely critical of Biden saying that in any other country they wouldn't be in the same political party.)

I think Amy is also the best choice. She probably wraps up Minnesota without too much campaign effort spent there and doesn't injure him in other swing states.

Warren and Booker both injure him in swing states. They are exhibits A and B of what people view as snobbish liberal elitists. You might not think it from Booker's personality but the dude is a vegan who is dating an actress. You can't sell "I'm just a regular joe" to a midwestern factory worker when you are a vegan dating a famous actress.

If you want to win on common man appeal, Amy makes the most sense.

AOC I think is constitutionally too young to be VP so she's out. Also a horrible horrible choice for a long list of reasons. (She damages Biden in a lot of ways because she is so controversial and also she's been extremely critical of Biden saying that in any other country they wouldn't be in the same political party.)

I think Amy is also the best choice. She probably wraps up Minnesota without too much campaign effort spent there and doesn't injure him in other swing states.

Warren and Booker both injure him in swing states. They are exhibits A and B of what people view as snobbish liberal elitists. You might not think it from Booker's personality but the dude is a vegan who is dating an actress. You can't sell "I'm just a regular joe" to a midwestern factory worker when you are a vegan dating a famous actress.

I agree...but also running Amy with Biden is putting a hat on a hat, in terms of the wing of the Democratic party. That might be the play...we'll see.

I agree...but also running Amy with Biden is putting a hat on a hat, in terms of the wing of the Democratic party. That might be the play...we'll see.

I think you have to take the risk and just believe that the base will come out and support you. Everyone on the far left portion of the party injuries you in the swing states.

You can't contest the blue collar workers against Trump when your #2 is someone like Warren or Sanders or freaking Booker the Vegan who is dating an actress. Pete is a Sarah Palin type play, not quite as risky because he's smart but it comes with it's own risks. There are questions about his experience for example and that is compounded by Biden's age. Also what if he injured Biden's relationship with the black community?

Amy is the person you want in this situation IMO. She's got experience and is young enough that no one is afraid she's going to die of natural causes in the next 4 years. She seems like a regular woman, she won't upstage Biden and there likely are not any major places where she could hurt Biden. The reason she couldn't be POTUS is the very reason she makes a good candidate for VP. She's not particularly noteworthy for anything good or bad.

Last edited:

Amy is fine. Booker is great.

I think you have to take the risk and just believe that the base will come out and support you. Everyone on the far left portion of the party injuries you in the swing states.

You can't contest the blue collar workers against Trump when your #2 is someone like Warren or Sanders or freaking Booker the Vegan who is dating an actress. Pete is a Sarah Palin type play, not quite as risky because he's smart but it comes with it's own risks. There are questions about his experience for example and that is compounded by Biden's age. Also what if he injured Biden's relationship with the black community?

Amy is the person you want in this situation IMO. She's got experience and is young enough that no one is afraid she's going to die of natural causes in the next 4 years. She seems like a regular woman, she won't upstage Biden and there likely are not any major places where she could hurt Biden. The reason she couldn't be POTUS is the very reason she makes a good candidate for VP. She's not particularly noteworthy for anything good or bad.
not sure what your problem with Booker is-- seems like if all you got is, he is a vegan dating an actress...what? Rosario Dawson is a political activist and progressive. Do you know anything about either of them?

not sure what your problem with Booker is-- seems like if all you got is, he is a vegan dating an actress...what? Rosario Dawson is a political activist and progressive. Do you know anything about either of them?

I don't have the problem but in an election in which you need to convince Midwestern blue collar workers that you understand their lives and you are not very different from them.

A vegan dating a famous actress can not do that. Cory Booker as a VP candidate is a giant gift to Donald Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT