ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Biden's deplorable lies in Atlanta may not even be in his own partisan interest.

Apr 18, 2021
Buckhead GA
How to explain why an ultra-experienced politician makes a major speech for a bill that is both doomed to fail and unpopular with voters? Especially when his speech is boycotted by the bill’s chief backers and features one big lie after another — and may not even be in his own partisan interest.

President Joe Biden’s speech in Atlanta on Tuesday raised these questions, although most of the media are unlikely to ask them.

The speech purported to rally support for the Democrats’ legislation to impose federal standards on voting in all 50 states — legislation that has no chance of passing. It doesn’t even seem to have the support of all 50 Senate Democrats, but if it does, it is sure to be the subject of a Republican filibuster.

Biden’s calls for Democrats to abolish filibusters for voting laws are opposed by Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema and possibly several others.

At the same time, organizations advocating Biden’s changes pointedly boycotted his Atlanta event. So did Stacey Abrams, the Georgia legislator who claimed, two years before then-President Donald Trump made similar claims, that she had actually won the 2018 Georgia governor's race, which she lost by 54,000 votes.

Abrams, who is running again this year, said she had a scheduling conflict. Obviously, this was a “shocking snub,” as one critic put it, of Biden and also of Vice President Kamala Harris, who accompanied him. But it was not as shocking as the falsehoods in Biden’s speech.

Joe Biden campaigned as a practitioner of comity who would bring people back together. Instead, he now accuses those restoring election rules to roughly what they were before the COVID-19 pandemic of being supporters of slavery and segregation, “Jim Crow 2.0” and “voter suppression.”

Biden's stand is also way out of line with public opinion. A recent Echelon Insights poll showed that 47% of voters favor returning to pre-pandemic voting procedures, versus 41% who favor making the pandemic changes permanent.

If anyone has been suppressing votes, they haven’t been doing it very well. The 21st century, with its increasing partisan conflict, has seen rising voter turnout, from 105 million in 2000 to 158 million in 2020.

So the Democrats’ election bill, besides lacking the votes to pass, may not be in their own partisan interest. This makes the big lies in Joe Biden’s Atlanta speech all the more deplorable.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
giphy.gif

Joe Scar and Al Sharpton even gave his speech a WTF.

It’s about time to put the veggie back in the cellar for the winter

Joe Scar and Al Sharpton even gave his speech a WTF.

It’s about time to put the veggie back in the cellar for the winter
^ Two people whose opinions no one gives AF about, and the same metaphor a few unlucky women use to describe having sex with you.

Reinstate the talking filibuster, and not the irresponsible obstructionism that allows Republicans to hide behind these state legislatures doing everything they can to suppress black, disabled, and urban white votes. All to subvert democracy and appease the big lie.

^ Two people whose opinions no one gives AF about, and the same metaphor a few unlucky women use to describe having sex with you.

Reinstate the talking filibuster, and not the irresponsible obstructionism that allows Republicans to hide behind these state legislatures doing everything they can to suppress black, disabled, and urban white votes. All to subvert democracy and appease the big lie.
So he gives a speech in Atlanta and brings race into the discussion…and Al Sharpton says wtf….ya, solid speech Joe

I missed the speech. Did he mention putting all black people in chains again? That seemed to be a big hit last time he said that.

The fact that Rs oppose ending the filibuster so passionately makes me think it won't be good for them.
The stupidity of the left never ceases to amaze me. Ending the filibuster would be a nightmare for everyone in America including the left. Whatever short term gains they may get now will be buried in 3 years. Don't believe me, just ask the 6-3 conservative advantage in the Supreme Court, Trump thanked Harry Reid.

This will mean nothing more than every few years whatever party is in power will simply change anything they disagree with from the other parties rule and create uncertainty in the financial markets, retirement plans, relations with out allies and foes, and on and on.

The stupidity of the left never ceases to amaze me. Ending the filibuster would be a nightmare for everyone in America including the left. Whatever short term gains they may get now will be buried in 3 years. Don't believe me, just ask the 6-3 conservative advantage in the Supreme Court, Trump thanked Harry Reid.

This will mean nothing more than every few years whatever party is in power will simply change anything they disagree with from the other parties rule and create uncertainty in the financial markets, retirement plans, relations with out allies and foes, and on and on.

speak_english_snl.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SoProudNole
IT's pretty clear the WH speech writer jumped the shark, and for whatever reason, Joe went along with it. Besides the actual content of the speech, people need to be wondering how Joe could actually go along with something like that.

IT's pretty clear the WH speech writer jumped the shark, and for whatever reason, Joe went along with it. Besides the actual content of the speech, people need to be wondering how Joe could actually go along with something like that.

That sounds like a realllly bad idea, Jumping a shark. I got money on the shark.

This is the passion I refer to.

ADVERTISEMENT