ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

Howe is difficult to listen to, but it's worth listening to those podcasts for Scott's takes. Howe generally just tees stuff up for Scott and lets him do most of the talking.

Agreed. Between them, they take pretty even-handed takes on current landscape of Iowa sports. Dochterman offers balance on the advisory committee stuff.

I don’t care for Howe either, but you should listen. You’re only hurting yourself 😉

ughh....ok. ;)

do they go 3 hours like Morehouse & Doch would do?

The main problem with all of this is that Iowa football is a product Barta and Ferentz are trying to sell. Social media such as Twitter and message boards are the reviews they are receiving for their product that shows up on the field. When they get testy about the reviews that are coming in what are they going to do about it? It only takes so long before people get sick of it and quit buying or donating to that said product like they did in the end of the Lickliter days. Like it or not there will be people happy, indifferent and pissed about the product they pay to see. If they continue to just ignore the fans soon no one will buy the product and that’s when there will be a big problem.
It's not a product in the traditional sense, but see where you are going with it. The issue is that Twitter and message boards are not the sole substance of the reviews. The ones that matter the most are the people who go to games, contribute financially to the program and/or invest time by watching on TV. Yes, there is overlap with those groups and social media, but social media and message boards are not real life. And I like social media and message boards.

A small amount of people can amplify a narrative or a message that makes it seem as if everyone thinks one way. If you are waiting for football under KF to get to the Lickliter days, hope you packed for a long trip, not happening. Attendance at Iowa home football games is good. Could be better, but good. The team is 2nd in Big 10 in wins over past 4 or 6 years or whatever. Everything is not hunky-dory in Iowa football, but the situation overall is very good.

ughh....ok. ;)

do they go 3 hours like Morehouse & Doch would do?
No, but they are often well over an hour.

Howe is fine on there. He is incompetent compared to Dochterman, but he isn’t generationally stupid like Harty. Howe is at least capable of legitimate journalism. Pat has mailed it in (sorry Suterman, but Pat is actually bad at his job.) Howe doesn’t say much of anything that will piss you off on the pod, or maybe the act of him talking will?

******WARNING!!!*******
******POLITICS ABOUT TO BE DISCUSSED ****

Since this matters relative to literally everything now. I’m a former Republican that now leans pretty hard left. You strike me as a right leaning moderate? If so, he doesn’t seem to push his agenda (and yes, it pisses me off too.)

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It's not a product in the traditional sense, but see where you are going with it. The issue is that Twitter and message boards are not the sole substance of the reviews. The ones that matter the most are the people who go to games, contribute financially to the program and/or invest time by watching on TV. Yes, there is overlap with those groups and social media, but social media and message boards are not real life. And I like social media and message boards.

A small amount of people can amplify a narrative or a message that makes it seem as if everyone thinks one way. If you are waiting for football under KF to get to the Lickliter days, hope you packed for a long trip, not happening. Attendance at Iowa home football games is good. Could be better, but good. The team is 2nd in Big 10 in wins over past 4 or 6 years or whatever. Everything is not hunky-dory in Iowa football, but the situation overall is very good.

and the last time I looked, Iowa was doing just fine in annual revenue (ticket sales, contributions, etc)

and the last time I looked, Iowa was doing just fine in annual revenue (ticket sales, contributions, etc)
That's why the whiners and whingers that attack one or both Ferentzs, the quarterbacks and the offense in general are just so much sound and fury, signifying nothing.

A year in which Iowa wins its division, and ten games, is a very good season, at Iowa. A very good recruiting class coming off that ten-win season just makes it better. The real decision makers are very happy and so, it seems, are the recruits.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Patrick Mahomes like.

Check out what Brody Brecht had to say about Labas.

This is exactly what I've been talking about-Joey is going to be the best QB Iowa has seen in years. I think starting game 1 but our conservative coaches might bring him along a couple of games. Starting by game 3 and he is going to make the offense look much better.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
@millhawk

You asked in another thread where was all the enthusiasm for Labas was from KF.

One example is from a Dec 28 column from Scott Dochterman of the Athletic (this was posted on page 4 of this thread).

Some excerpts:

Kirk Ferentz wanted to avoid any of his younger players becoming “internet marvels” and he vowed to avoid discussing their strides during Citrus Bowl preparation.

Then seven sentences into his answer, the dean of college football coaches broke his vow like a flimsy New Year’s resolution and began talking about — of all positions — his youngest quarterback.

“That’s one of the neat things about bowl preparation; you get a chance to watch guys and coach guys who have usually been holding scout team plays up,” Ferentz said. “(Joey) Labas has been taking snaps with the twos — I better quit talking about quarterbacks in the press.

“It’s just been fun, fun to watch him. He’s one of those guys. Not quite ready to start, that’s for sure.”

Ferentz hasn’t named a Citrus Bowl starter and said bowl prep has given Labas “a jump on spring ball.” In the process, Labas’ elevation has allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman has wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality. That’s not easy for an 18-year-old player in his first semester on campus battling one of the nation’s best defensive units.

The FULL Story:

@millhawk

One example is from a Dec 28 column from Scott Dochterman of the Athletic (this was posted on page 4 of this thread).

Some excerpts:

Kirk Ferentz wanted to avoid any of his younger players becoming “internet marvels” and he vowed to avoid discussing their strides during Citrus Bowl preparation.

Then seven sentences into his answer, the dean of college football coaches broke his vow like a flimsy New Year’s resolution and began talking about — of all positions — his youngest quarterback.

“That’s one of the neat things about bowl preparation; you get a chance to watch guys and coach guys who have usually been holding scout team plays up,” Ferentz said. “(Joey) Labas has been taking snaps with the twos — I better quit talking about quarterbacks in the press.

“It’s just been fun, fun to watch him. He’s one of those guys. Not quite ready to start, that’s for sure.”

Ferentz hasn’t named a Citrus Bowl starter and said bowl prep has given Labas “a jump on spring ball.” In the process, Labas’ elevation has allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman has wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality. That’s not easy for an 18-year-old player in his first semester on campus battling one of the nation’s best defensive units.

The FULL Story:

Thanks for jogging my memory and what dog posted, I had forgot what B Brecht said.

Reactions: Franisdaman
there’s no way Labas passed them up in spring training or even off season. Not against two QB’s who gave starting experience, not under KF. I just don’t ever see him doing that. There’s definitely a possibility of him seeing the field, if (and when) Petras and Padilla fail to live up to the bronze standard, though. Which, if our offense looks anything worse than it did last season under Petras or Padilla, I feel the boo birds will come out loud and strong. People will be clamoring for Joey Dimes, and if it’s his time, I hope to god he’s ready and what we all want.

@millhawk

Some excerpts:

The FULL Story:

From this story, from his HS coach:

“What separates him from a lot of people is just the way that he carries and conducts himself,” Poder said. “Some of the things that he does on the football field, like to him, in terms of his athletic ability and stuff like that, it’s just natural for him.

“That ‘It’ factor with him, he doesn’t think it’s anything special. But there’s a lot of times it’s really special.”

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
I have already posted what follows but will again for everyone's convenience.

Just last month (as you can see by the date stamps) Kirk Ferentz said the QB position was wide open and that he was excited to see what Joey Labas will bring to the table.

Brody Brecht was catching TD passes from Labas against the FIRST TEAM DEFENSE. Brecht has compared Joey's skill set to Patrick Mahomes.

cc: @millhawk

@HawkinK.C.1

In the duplicate thread, you stated that you were pretty sure that it was @The Deplorable Sleeping Dog who was hyping up Labas and not Kirk Ferentz.

Simply go up 8 posts and read everything that follows. You will see that is not the case. Kirk said among other things that he saw a wide-open quarterback competition this spring and that he was excited to see what Joey Labas can bring to the table.

@HawkinK.C.1

In the duplicate thread, you stated that you were pretty sure that it was @The Deplorable Sleeping Dog who was hyping up Labas and not Kirk Ferentz.

Simply go up 8 posts and read everything that follows. You will see that is not the case. Kirk said among other things that he saw a wide-open quarterback competition this spring and that he was excited to see what Joey Labas can bring to the table.
I looked. I still don't see KF hyping up Labas. I see others hyping him up, but not KF. Iknow KF has talked about him, but it seems to me like he's trying to keep the hype in check because he still isn't caught up to either of the others. It's interesting to see how people read into his comments though. Im not discounting Joey, but KF has not convinced me that he's sold quite yet.

@icwesthawk @dadster @FWIW4922463

That other thread on Joey Labas is fake news. KF has not been talking down Joey Labas; KF has done the exact opposite.

Nevertheless, all 3 of you seem to believe the fake news and that KF will simply stay with the status quo (Spencer Petras). @icwesthawk , you then sarcastically replied, "what a shock."

If you were paying attention you would know that it's quite clear from what KF said just last month that the QB competition is wide open and that KF was excited to see what Joey Labas can bring to the table. Simply go up 9 posts and read everything that follows.

I looked. I still don't see KF hyping up Labas. I see others hyping him up, but not KF. Iknow KF has talked about him, but it seems to me like he's trying to keep the hype in check because he still isn't caught up to either of the others. It's interesting to see how people read into his comments though. Im not discounting Joey, but KF has not convinced me that he's sold quite yet.

You don't call what follows KF hyping Joey up before the bowl game?

Ferentz said bowl prep has given Labas “a jump on spring ball.”

Then, on Feb 2, Kirk said this:

Spencer & Alex have some advantages over Joey: (1) longer in the program; (2) more reps with the 1's; (3) game experience.

Labas, however, was one of the few 3rd-team players to earn a spot on Iowa’s 2-deep depth chart.

Iowa’s quarterbacks completed just 55 percent of passes in 2021 and 57 percent in 2020. KF wants that number in the 60s.

KF has made it clear; it is an open QB competition between 3 QBs.

A story from 2 days ago:

Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla have ‘real distinct advantage’ in Iowa’s 2022 quarterback competition

Kirk Ferentz believes Petras, Padilla both ‘totally capable’ of starting quarterback responsibilities

John Steppe

John Steppe
Mar. 24, 2022 4:12 pm

IOWA CITY — With the 2022 season fewer than six months away, there is no shortage of quarterback questions on Evashevski Drive.

Iowa’s answers?

“Don’t have any answers,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said as a reporter prepared to ask a quarterback question.

Ferentz made it clear Wednesday afternoon — the same day as Iowa’s first spring practice — he wants an open competition at quarterback, involving Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla and Joey Labas.

“Everybody's competing right now,” Ferentz said.

Not every quarterback is beginning the spring season at equal places in that competition, though.

“Obviously two guys have a real distinct advantage, knowing what to do,” Ferentz said, referencing Petras and Padilla. “They've played. They've been out there when games end.”

Petras has started 11 of Iowa’s 14 games in 2021 and all eight games in 2020. Padilla started the other three games in 2021.

No other quarterback has thrown more than one pass in a game since 2019. Labas spent most of last season on the scout team.

“Just getting up to the line and getting the ball snapped and having us in the right place — that’s a heck of a start,” Ferentz said. “It sounds pretty routine and easy, but for Joe right now, there's a process to that.”

Petras was the starter on Iowa’s depth chart released this week. Padilla was the second-teamer, a spot he occupied for most of the 2021 season.

Ferentz said the depth chart “doesn't really mean anything until September” and refuted the notion that the starting quarterback spot is Petras’ to lose.

“On one hand, he's got an edge or things he does better than Alex,” Ferentz said. “But I can flip it around saying there's things that Alex can do a bit better too. … The good news is both guys are totally capable.”

Labas was one of the few third-team players to earn a spot on Iowa’s two-deep depth chart. Ferentz said it’ll be “interesting for us to watch how much he can pick up and how fast in 15 days.”

Whether it’s Petras, Padilla or Labas under center in September
, Ferentz recognizes the need for improvement. Iowa’s quarterbacks completed just 55 percent of passes in 2021 and 57 percent in 2020.

“To think that we're going to live in the world of success if we're completing 52 percent of our passes is probably not realistic,” Ferentz said. “It's cutting it close. We definitely would like to be up over the 60s.”

Then you are not a regular reader of this forum or are remaining purposefully ignorant of the subject. Last winter during bowl prep KF said, and it's all over this forum, that Joe did some things that made you "wow". While he always mingles the usual coach speak about experience and learning the offense Joe Labas is the first RS QB that KF mentions making exceptional plays. He's come back to discuss Joe again this spring, also saying unusually good things.

Now KF has hired a QB analyst that is known for mobile QB play "like Joe Labas." That's also somewhere on Hawkeye Report.

The only thing I think I have uniquely brought to the table was from a party where there were a lot of SEP parents, graduates and some current SEP kids/players. That info was the younger players are already bonding around Joe Labas as their leader. Joe was pushing the off-season trips to gyms and fields for practicing throws and routes with the actual receivers and taking snaps from actual offensive linemen. That sounds like tremendous commitment and leadership. That could just be Ram hyperbole but even if just mostly true when was the last time you a saw an Iowa QB rallying the team, or even just the younger part of the team, in January and February?​

You don't call what follows KF hyping Joey up before the bowl game?
No, I dont. Not trying to be hard headed but don't see KF hyping him up at all. Sorry. Just like the rest of you guys, I hope Joey emerges and is better than what we have.

Then you are not a regular reader of this forum or are remaining purposefully ignorant of the subject. Last winter during bowl prep KF said, and it's all over this forum, that Joe did some things that made you "wow". While he always mingles the usual coach speak about experience and learning the offense Joe Labas is the first RS QB that KF mentions making exceptional plays. He's come back to discuss Joe again this spring, also saying unusually good things.

Now KF has hired a QB analyst that is known for mobile QB play "like Joe Labas." That's also somewhere on Hawkeye Report.

The only thing I think I have uniquely brought to the table was from a party where there were a lot of SEP parents, graduates and some current SEP kids/players. That info was the younger players are already bonding around Joe Labas as their leader. Joe was pushing the off-season trips to gyms and fields for practicing throws and routes with the actual receivers and taking snaps from actual offensive linemen. That sounds like tremendous commitment and leadership. That could just be Ram hyperbole but even if just mostly true when was the last time you a saw an Iowa QB rallying the team, or even just the younger part of the team, in January and February?​
Im not remaining purposefully ignorant, The hype on the free board is pretty much from you. I just haven't seen it from KF. I definitely haven't read everything ever posted here though and I am not on the paid board. I'm interpreting KF's statement's differently than some of you, I guess. Id like to believe KF is just being coy. I guess we will know in the not too distant future. Sounds to me like KF thinks Petras is out front right now. Hope I'm wrong or Joey makes up the ground.

Reactions: littlez
Yeah ,he said it is open but he also said Petras and Padilla have a big leg up on Labas.

I am sure Joey makes more mistakes getting guys lined up but that should be expected since Spencer & Alex have been in the program longer.

And I think KF is also guarded in his comments; he doesn't want to lose any QB in the Transfer Portal.

I just find it interesting what KF continues to say about Joey; the beat reporters sure are noticing.

Another example:

there’s no way Labas passed them up in spring training or even off season. Not against two QB’s who gave starting experience, not under KF. I just don’t ever see him doing that. There’s definitely a possibility of him seeing the field, if (and when) Petras and Padilla fail to live up to the bronze standard, though. Which, if our offense looks anything worse than it did last season under Petras or Padilla, I feel the boo birds will come out loud and strong. People will be clamoring for Joey Dimes, and if it’s his time, I hope to god he’s ready and what we all want.
The only outcome that would genuinely surprise me is if Petras were declared the starter at the end of spring ball. Barring just a massive leap, I just don’t see how Petras can be the starter again. I also do believe that Padilla firmly believes this competition is genuinely open, or else I’d have expected he would have transferred out.

@icwesthawk @dadster @FWIW4922463

That other thread on Joey Labas is fake news. KF has not been talking down Joey Labas; KF has done the exact opposite.

Nevertheless, all 3 of you seem to believe the fake news and that KF will simply stay with the status quo (Spencer Petras). @icwesthawk , you then sarcastically replied, "what a shock."

If you were paying attention you would know that it's quite clear from what KF said just last month that the QB competition is wide open and that KF was excited to see what Joey Labas can bring to the table. Simply go up 9 posts and read everything that follows.

In general, it’s really rare that Kirk even mentions 3rd string, RS freshmen who havent seen the field yet. While I’d agree that Kirk is trying to temper expectations on Labas, as in general hyping individual players isn’t usually his thing, it is noteworthy that Labas was listed on the 2-deeps at all. i don’t believe other positions typically mention the 3rd guy for the most part.

Sounds like CL really liked what he saw out of Labas this morning at the open practice. Thought his deep ball looked really good coming off of his hand. Said Petras was impressive too. I think you will see Petras start this fall and if he struggles, then Padilla will replace him or vice versa. And if he/they struggles then it is on to Labas to take over the reigns for the Iowa football program.

I think if Iowa didn’t lose Hogan this winter off season then KF would have no problem pushing Labas to be the starter but if he lost both Petras and Padilla to the portal after spring practice then it would only be Labas and May coming in. That’s not an ideal qb room so KF has got to play it out through spring, summer, and fall with Petras or Padilla the starter then Labas. I could see Padilla transferring out this fall if he isn’t named the starter though. Don’t think Petras will if he isn’t named the starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT