ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

Lol, there's no way SP isn't our starting QB this fall. I think saying it's an open competition is just to appease. KF is going to start the guy he wants to start, and it's going to be the guy who A) has seniority; B) is a known commodity on gameday; C) is the safest play in terms of not forcing mistakes or creating turnovers.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly and happily be here eating crow.

Lol, there's no way SP isn't our starting QB this fall. I think saying it's an open competition is just to appease. KF is going to start the guy he wants to start, and it's going to be the guy who A) has seniority; B) is a known commodity on gameday; C) is the safest play in terms of not forcing mistakes or creating turnovers.

We are already getting the Petras is improving articles. He is going to be the starter.

Padilla seems like a smart guy. I don’t think he comes back if he didn’t believe there was a legit competition. Barring a major leap by Petras I just a have a hard time seeing him as the starter unless Padilla and Labas both just completely faceplant this spring.

Reactions: Milt31
Padilla seems like a smart guy. I don’t think he comes back if he didn’t believe there was a legit competition. Barring a major leap by Petras I just a have a hard time seeing him as the starter unless Padilla and Labas both just completely faceplant this spring.
Padilla also graduates in the Fall. So there is that aspect too of coming back.

Padilla also graduates in the Fall. So there is that aspect too of coming back.
Sure, I’m just not getting this narrative that Kirk is going to start Petras solely out of spite or sheer stubbornness. We’ve seen him make qb changes in the past when it’s been clear that the starter wasn’t getting it done. I won’t rule out Petras starting - I think it’s always fair to allow for the possibility that the lightbulb just goes on and a guy can figure it out. I think Petras has the physical tools to be a good qb, his problems seem to be the mental side imo, and I think we’ve seen enough that it’s unlikely he gets it figured out but I’ll never totally rule that chance out.

Padilla I think is the mostly likely to win the job, but if Labas does well in the spring I think the competition becomes more likely to go into the fall camp. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can attend the spring practice on the 23rd.

Sure, I’m just not getting this narrative that Kirk is going to start Petras solely out of spite or sheer stubbornness. We’ve seen him make qb changes in the past when it’s been clear that the starter wasn’t getting it done. I won’t rule out Petras starting - I think it’s always fair to allow for the possibility that the lightbulb just goes on and a guy can figure it out. I think Petras has the physical tools to be a good qb, his problems seem to be the mental side imo, and I think we’ve seen enough that it’s unlikely he gets it figured out but I’ll never totally rule that chance out.

Padilla I think is the mostly likely to win the job, but if Labas does well in the spring I think the competition becomes more likely to go into the fall camp. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can attend the spring practice on the 23rd.
I don’t think Padilla will win the job. He was worse than Petras.

As much as some fans will argue the point. The Kirk offense has changed quarterbacks. The quarterbacks that had experience. KF prefers to go with a knowledgeable steady hand over flash. But he Has had flashy quarterbacks. It had success with those individuals. In my opinion he is open to whatever works best. Last year they were just weren’t very many options regardless of what we think of Padilla. This year Padilla is a serious option because of experience and Joey may be in that same category. If they go with Spencer I think The pressure to perform will be far greater than last year. More comparable to Christiansen in Stanzi

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yeah, that's not what he's saying.
Well it seems like a pretty easy thing to be interpreted that way. Little more than 3 months ago our HC insulted a backup QB to the point where he transferred out. You'd think a guy in his position, if he's feeling overly compelled to comment on something like this at all (which in itself is weird), would maybe think through the best way to express his thoughts before putting out a statement like this so they couldn't be so easily misinterpreted. The way he said what he said, it could easily be taken as "Joey Labas' game sucks".

Last edited:
People on Twitter are reading waaaaaaay too much into this comment.

All he's saying is the backup QB (or in this case, the guy we haven't seen yet) is always the most popular, which is absolutely true.
Depends, when Brad, Drew, CJ and Ricky were starting nobody cared to see the backup and they were way more popular. This in itself should tell the coaches to change it up. We know what SP brings to the table. Give someone else the chance. If the backup stinks it up oh well. The offense sucks anyways so try something else.

Well it seems like a pretty easy thing to be interpreted that way. Little more than 3 months ago our HC insulted a backup QB to the point where he transferred out. You'd think a guy in his position, if he's feeling overly compelled to comment on something like this at all (which in itself is weird), would maybe think through the best way to express his thoughts before putting out a statement like this so they couldn't be so easily misinterpreted. The way he said what he said, it could easily be taken as 'Joey Labas' game sucks'.
Again, all he's saying is "the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team", which is a very common football saying.

You're finding meaning where there is none.

Depends, when Brad, Drew, CJ and Ricky were starting nobody cared to see the backup and they were way more popular. This in itself should tell the coaches to change it up. We know what SP brings to the table. Give someone else the chance. If the backup stinks it up oh well. The offense sucks anyways so try something else.
They did that with Padilla. He stunk too, and arguably worse.

Change for the sake of change is a horrible coaching philosophy.

Again, all he's saying is "the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team", which is a very common football saying.

You're finding meaning where there is none.
Again, it's the way he said it. He chose how to say it, and it can very easily be taken to mean he doesn't think JL is very good, which is why so many people are talking about it.

But it's good to know that he's not ripping one of his QBs and is instead ripping the fans who buy the tickets and buy the food and buy the parking and make the donations and all that stuff that goes into the program and allows him to work in some of the nicest facilities in college football.

Like I said, why the guy even decided to go there is just bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Again, it's the way he said it. He chose how to say it, and it can very easily be taken to mean he doesn't think JL is very good, which is why so many people are talking about it.

But it's good to know that he's not ripping one of his QBs and is instead ripping the fans who buy the tickets and buy the food and buy the parking and make the donations and all that stuff that goes into the program and allows him to work in some of the nicest facilities in college football.

Like I said, why the guy even decided to go there is just bizarre.
You're literally searching for something to be angry about. This quote isn't even the most controversial thing BF said in this press conference.

Reactions: sober_teacher
We are already getting the Petras is improving articles. He is going to be the starter.
Was it you that came up with a very nifty way of describing how KF communicates? It was like a 2 step process. I found it fascinating, and I never could find it again.

Well it seems like a pretty easy thing to be interpreted that way. Little more than 3 months ago our HC insulted a backup QB to the point where he transferred out. You'd think a guy in his position, if he's feeling overly compelled to comment on something like this at all (which in itself is weird), would maybe think through the best way to express his thoughts before putting out a statement like this so they couldn't be so easily misinterpreted. The way he said what he said, it could easily be taken as "Joey Labas' game sucks".
Dude make sure you check your blood pressure today

You have clearly never read a single one of my posts if you think I believe that. I simply don’t think there’s anything to what Brian said here.
So you can imply that I criticize KF and BF no matter what they say, but I can't imply that you think they're never wrong. Got it. Seems fair.

Dude make sure you check your blood pressure today
Lol, I'm doing fine. I have one daughter in college and one in HS so if anything is going to have my blood pressure up it's that. Not losing sleep over a stupid comment by BF. I do appreciate your concern though.

Reactions: Milt31
So you can imply that I criticize KF and BF no matter what they say, but I can't imply that you think they're never wrong. Got it. Seems fair.
I have seen you post before. Rare has been the post where you agree with Kirk or Brian.

In this case, you sure seem like you believe Brian was calling out Labas here. Whereas to me, it seems like Brian is just referring to the cliche that the backup qb is the most popular player for the average fan.

Joe's last name is pronounced LAY BUS, by the way.

The first link below is a good 5 minute clip on what Brian said about the QQ battle among Petras, Padilla and Joe Labas

Brian brought up that the media is talking about Alex and Spencer. He then asked, "what about Joe?"

Brian then said he is trying to get Joe up to speed ("on the same footing") so that he can objectively look at a true battle.

Brian said that who he/they decide as QB1 might be on gut or instinct. Brian said he's going to do what's best for the team.

He also reminded us that in one snap QB2 might be thrown into action so he has to get all 3 QBs ready/prepared.

Brian said if they had a "round robin" today, Spencer vs Joe (he did not mention Alex), he would hope Spencer would win because Spencer has been in the program almost 5 years. Brian is hoping to accelerate Joe's development so he (Brian) "can figure out what's what."

Brian then said right now it's not time to make any of those starting QB decisions. He said when you have to sit down with a 5th year senior and tell him you are sending him to the scout team, that's a hard conversation. He said he's hoping to not have too many of those. He then said they are "not there yet" on deciding who is QB1.

In the 2nd video clip Brian said Joe was the most popular person in the program right now and that he will be until he plays. He said Alex Padilla was also popular for a while...until he played. He said once a player plays it opens the door to criticism.

LINKS TO THOSE VIDEO CLIPS:

Lol, I'm doing fine. I have one daughter in college and one in HS so if anything is going to have my blood pressure up it's that. Not losing sleep over a stupid comment by BF. I do appreciate your concern though.
Lol Roger that on the kids! Hope they are doing well!

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
I have seen you post before. Rare has been the post where you agree with Kirk or Brian.

In this case, you sure seem like you believe Brian was calling out Labas here. Whereas to me, it seems like Brian is just referring to the cliche that the backup qb is the most popular player for the average fan.
What one person thinks they're saying and what other people are actually hearing can be wildly different things. I agree with your point, but the way BF communicated it left the door wide open for anyone, including JL, to hear "Joey Labas isn't very good." He should know better, especially after the situation with Hogan, and just said something like "fans always love the backup QB" and left it at that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
What one person thinks they're saying and what other people are actually hearing can be wildly different things. I agree with your point, but he way BF communicated it left the door wide open for anyone, including JL, to hear "Joey Labas isn't very good." He should know better, especially after the situation with Hogan, and just said something like "fans always love the backup QB" and left it at that.

I remain convinced that the poor joke by Kirk was wildly overblown by Hogan, and was just used as cover to transfer. Based on what we’ve heard about Labas, imo he saw himself getting passed by Labas and decided to get out. I’m sure he and his parents didn’t appreciate the joke by Kirk at all, I just have a really hard time that after getting to know him during the recruiting process, and then still more once on campus, that one comment drove him to transfer.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
6aurxb.jpg

Reactions: Birky and David1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT